60" Aeronca 7AC Champ/L-16A - RC Groups
Dec 20, 2006, 12:46 PM
Balsa is love....
Discussion

60" Aeronca 7AC Champ/L-16A

Well I've finally got the preliminary drafting done on this one and I'm starting to build. This is going to be the SAM 27 Club Project for 2007, meaning a bunch of O/T guys will be building this. However, the kit will be available to anyone who wants one. Fellow club member Nick Kelez was the driving force behind this, and he convinced me to do the drafting on it. He's going to be doing a fiberglass cowl, a scale functional landing gear and probably a vac formed windshield. I have tried as best as I could to keep absolutely everything as scale as possible, yet still keep the complexity to a minimum to allow more novice builders in the club to enjoy it as well.

While the club project will be the Champ, I got inspired to mod mine into an L-16A military observation plane. This required a total redesign of the upper cabin/wings since the L-16 has pretty much all "greenhouse" up top. So, while the Champ version will have a bolt on one piece wing, the L-16A will have the wing in two pieces, and will use the same carbon tube/socket set that I'm using on the B-24. I'll point out in my build where the L-16A version and the 7AC differ as best I can. Anyway, the specs are:

1/7 Scale
60" Span
AUW Target: 32-36 oz.
Wing loading: ~10 oz./sq. ft.
Motor: Himax HC2816-0890
Prop: 10X5
ESC CC-Phoenix-25

I'm pretty sure I'll be modeling mine after this L-16A screen shot I found from a flight sim. I hope to find a pilot to stick in there as well - I'm making an effort to put nearly all the radio gear and servos up in the cowl, so I can make as much of a cockpit as my patience will allow.

-Sky
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2006, 12:58 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sky

Looks great, we will be following this one, particularly the L-16.

The glass cowl and formed front window will be nice things to have, the "bulged" front window on the Champ is such a trademark of it and is usually not done on most models. Really makes the Champ look like a Champ.

Time to start saving my allowance money I guess.

Have a safe and peaceful Holiday Season.

Just remember you can't go on vacation until this one is done and ready to ship!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Dec 20, 2006, 01:18 PM
IWC
IWC
I will subscribe
Dec 20, 2006, 02:00 PM
Sky, I too will be watching this one. The Champ is the only real aircraft I have ever flown, as years ago I took a very limited amount of dual instruction in one.

That L-16 looks very nice too!

The working gear, formed windshield, and glass cowl will be great touches for us more lazy and less talented types!

AmpAce
Dec 20, 2006, 02:58 PM
designer/builder
Great!

I'm restoring a 7GCA right now so I'll be ordering a kit for sure!

Can't wait to see this baby come together!

Rob
Dec 20, 2006, 04:42 PM
Also, looking forward to the build (former owner of a 7AC).
Dec 21, 2006, 12:01 AM
Sky, Great Choice! I'LL be watching and waiting. As mentioned above, the front glass is a trademark.

Scott
Dec 21, 2006, 12:01 PM
Balsa is love....
Wow! Looks like a lot of interest in this one, which is nice. I brought some really rough plans and a set of laser cut parts to the club meeting last night, and the guys seemed to be pretty excited about the project. We're going to do a scale event at the Crash and Bash in October with it - folks can enter either the 7AC or L-16A. It should be really fun to see a bunch of them all done up. The club project was an Earl Stahl Fokker DVIII last year, and there was nearly 15 of them at the C&B this year.

-Sky
Dec 21, 2006, 01:39 PM
Garry Owen!
This will be big Sky! Nobody hates a Champ.

Yak
Dec 21, 2006, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glue_sniffer
..snip...
I hope to find a pilot to stick in there as well - I'm making an effort to put nearly all the radio gear and servos up in the cowl, so I can make as much of a cockpit as my patience will allow.

-Sky
Dude - With that much glass, She's gotta have a *fully* detailed cockpit and pilot...... [Just my 02c FWIW :-) ]

Photog-Ian
Dec 21, 2006, 03:45 PM
Balsa is love....
Oh I agree! I'm hoping I can convince Aerominded to help me out a little on the detailing - it's really not my forte. I'm going to do all the tubing out of extruded styrene stock as well. Should be fun!
Dec 21, 2006, 03:55 PM
First airplane I ever flew in, or flew, was a CAP L-16 in 1956. Great plane and modeling subject! Regards and best of luck. S
Dec 21, 2006, 04:02 PM
Hee hee, I'm familiar with the interiors of 7ACs.. I'm happy to help with the details however I can!
Dec 21, 2006, 04:12 PM
I'm getting the idea that this "airknocker" is going to be something special!

I'll be watching this one with interest!

AmpAce
Dec 21, 2006, 04:12 PM
TRP
TRP
Hey Sky,

If you need any upclose and personal exp. wth a Champ let me know. We have two in our flight club.

Ted