Velleman PCSU1000 PC Oscilloscope - RC Groups
Dec 19, 2006, 11:58 PM
Discussion

Velleman PCSU1000 PC Oscilloscope

Gentlemen,

Has anyone used the Velleman PCSU1000 'scope? Opinions? Value?

Jim R
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2006, 12:21 PM
It has some nice features (like the FFT) that the scope I just bought doesn't have, but overall I'd prefer the standalone capability of the one I got, check it out for comparison:
http://www.saelig.com/miva/merchant....gory_Code=PSSA

-Tracy
Dec 21, 2006, 12:40 PM
MX
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclark
It has some nice features (like the FFT) that the scope I just bought doesn't have, but overall I'd prefer the standalone capability of the one I got, check it out for comparison:
http://www.saelig.com/miva/merchant....gory_Code=PSSA

-Tracy
Tracy,

Any comments on your scope? I'm needing a nice digital storage scope in the home lab and wonder if this will be a good one.

Thanks,

MX
Dec 22, 2006, 12:18 PM
MX-
I am very favorably impressed with the value of the scope I got. Two channels, digital, color display, RS232 and USB interface to computer, ... ; a very nice set of features for the $$ I paid. It is not quite as refined as the HP and Tek scopes I have used at work, but it is close and is also a factor of 3 or 4 cheaper than their lowest-priced units, and includes a color rather than monochrome display.
Support has been impressive also; the USB-only interface version of the scope came with drivers that would not work with Win98. I wrote an email to the support folks in China to see if I could get an updated driver that liked Win98. They didn't have that, but they exchanged my scope for a version with both RS232 and USB interfaces, for no charge. Now it can link with either my old Win98 laptop (which is usually handier) or to a WinXP desktop.
A colleague of mine recently bought a similarly featured Tek scope. With the computer interface, he paid just over 4x what I did. He is a bit sore about the deal I got, and would gladly have a 'do-over' to buy the Owon scope instead. I can easily recommend this one. Give the folks at Saelig a call (I dealt with Al MacRobbie there) and tell them 'Hi' from me.

-Tracy

-Tracy
Dec 22, 2006, 01:23 PM
MX
MX
Thanks for the review! Sounds like it will work fine for my needs. I need to measure various serial and IR protocols and occasional R/C pulse streams and my Beckman 20MHz analog scope just doesn't work for that. I need the storage capability to capture single communication events.

I also use Tek color Gs/s scopes at work. Would be great to have one at home, but not at 10x the cost.

Have an OWON on the way (on sale for $329 right now with free shipping).

Thanks,

MX
Dec 22, 2006, 08:35 PM
I have the 50MHz parallel port Velleman PCS 500 and it's very good, lives up to the published specs. It does stuff like spectrum analysis and scrolling to before periodic trigger signals without any fuss. If the PCSU1000 is the 500 evolved to USB it could be a good value. What's its cost?
Dec 28, 2006, 09:50 AM
The Velleman PCSU100 sells for about US $330. It's available from a number of sources on-line. Ramsey Electronics sells it. I've dealt with Ramsey, and they are okay.

Jim R
Dec 28, 2006, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclark
MX-
I am very favorably impressed with the value of the scope I got. -Tracy
Thank you for the report.

I have an very similar Tek scope at work. That one is noisy. It has a noise filter for repetitive signals, but I mostly analyse non repetitive signals. The noise is disturbing.

Could you please upload a screenshot without noise filter?

The price is great, hard to resist.
Dec 28, 2006, 11:34 AM
The Owon scope is notably noisier than the much higher priced HP/Agilent scopes that I use at work, but I don't have the budget for these at home. I don't have a screenshot handy now (I'm at work), but I can bring one in from home if necessary. The screenshots in the manual (downloadable from the Saelig site) show the same sort of noise I see in practice.

-Tracy
Dec 28, 2006, 12:06 PM
Thank you for the fast reply. Looking into the manual, considering the price, I can live with that noise level.
Dec 29, 2006, 01:25 PM
Gentlemen,

What are your views on 8-bit versus higher bit (10, 12, etc.) PC-based 'scopes? The Velleman 'scopes are 8-bit, IIRC. Presumably, you get better resolution with higher bit-rates (excuse me if I'm not being accurate, I have no education in electronics or digital circuitry), but is it worth the extra cost when examining sine waves or square waves? More complex waveforms?

Jim R
Jan 02, 2007, 12:09 PM
Jim-
A wide variety of scopes are available, because there are an equally wide variety of needs. More resolution, a deeper memory buffer, more bandwidth, etc, can all be good or even necessary features for a given application. But they come at a price. For me at home, the simple end of the scale fit my budget and needs. At work, I have scopes that cost 15x as much, and I sometimes need that extra capability. What you need depends on what you want to do with the scope.

-Tracy
Jan 02, 2007, 07:14 PM
The point that cost is a factor means a whole lot. I suffered for more than 25 years with a terrible Heathkit oscilliscope that cost me the 24 hours it took to build a Heathkit color TV for a friend, the scope was my pay, I don't know what I did to deserve it! The Velleman PCS500 cost about $230 but to me it's worth a lot more than that after the Heathkit.

The attached printouts are Rx channels. The 256 lines of vertical resolution is clearly visible, it works out to 32 steps /division. This is good enough for me. The FFT function does a better job of measuring the purity of sine waves or small signals buried in bigger signals than the eyeball can do and it works great on my Velleman.
Jan 03, 2007, 02:33 AM
MX
MX
I got my OWON scope today. Looks like it will work just fine for my needs. I tested by acquiring some I2C communications.

Only problem I'm having is getting the USB interface to the PC to work. It connects ok, but when I go to download the data, it just hangs. Did you get the USB to work, Tracy?

Thanks,

MX
Jan 04, 2007, 12:12 AM
I have one; the USB works fine on Win-XP SP2. It's too bad the PC based display is static (it requires a manual download every time a acquisition is desired).