Radio suggestions?? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by badog65, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 18, 2006, 12:13 AM
Discussion

Radio suggestions??

I am intrested in getting a dlg glider. I also would like to move from zagi's to a 6 channel slope glider. Is there one radio that will do both well, or do I need 2 diffrent systems. I have about 500.00 budgeted for a radio system. Any info or opinions you guys have, would be greatly appreciated, also if you fly dlg in the modesto area, feel free to pm me , i would like to check out some diffrent planes.
thanks for your time!!
Dave
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2006, 06:00 AM
Ivan MacKenzie
The JR 9303 is a great radio that would fly all of the planes you mentioned. And it falls within your price range. There have also been a few in the for sale section lately, so you might be able to get a deal.
Dec 18, 2006, 10:36 AM
Much to my CHAGRIN . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by imack
The JR 9303 is a great radio that would fly all of the planes you mentioned. And it falls within your price range. There have also been a few in the for sale section lately, so you might be able to get a deal.
Agreed. Go with the heli version; the positioning of switches is more agreeable with DLG…
Dec 18, 2006, 11:54 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
I'm thinking a Hitec Optic 6 would be a great choice.

Very nice Tx and easy to understand manual.

Frank
Dec 19, 2006, 12:06 AM
Rick Rogahn
Have an Optic 6 and a Multiplex EVO 7. EVO wins in weight and battery life. Both are easy to program. Optic is definately the bargin for the $ if you aren't going synth. 100$ for a comp radio? Not bad.
Dec 19, 2006, 05:54 AM
Ivan MacKenzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Sloper
Have an Optic 6 and a Multiplex EVO 7. EVO wins in weight and battery life. Both are easy to program. Optic is definately the bargin for the $ if you aren't going synth. 100$ for a comp radio? Not bad.
Endless,

Can the Optic 6 control a 4 servo wing? Baddog mentioned that he wanted to run a 6-servo slope ship with his new radio. I checked the Optic 6 manual and it's not clear to me that it can do this.

Ivan MacKenzie.
Dec 20, 2006, 11:01 PM
I do this for fun!
No, the Optic can't do a 4-servo wing. It lacks 4-servo camber or crow for a start.

I have a new Cockpit SX and I am using it for all my slope wings as well as my F3B glider with a 4-servo wing. It covers all this very well, it is a synth radio and it is far cheaper than any other radio which can do all this. It's also really easy to use. I'm rapt!

I strongly recommend you include it in your deliberations.

Good Luck!
Dec 20, 2006, 11:13 PM
I'm not so sure about that Optic 6 statement. Do you have one?

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Support/Manu...icTutorial.pdf
Dec 21, 2006, 05:42 AM
Ivan MacKenzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
I'm not so sure about that Optic 6 statement. Do you have one?

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Support/Manu...icTutorial.pdf
I don't see anything in the tutorial that contradicts skyboken's statement. In fact, in the section on crow mixing it says:
To use the CROW mixer on the Optic 6, make sure that Channel 1 is used for the Right aileron, Channel 5 is used for the Left aileron, and Channel 6 is the flap control
And In the section on CAMBER control, it talks about using a Y-connector for the flaps. If it supported dual-flap mode, I think it would have to be covered in these two sections.

If you got really creative with programmable mixes, you might be able to do something, but your not likely to get all the features of radio that supports a 4-servo wing out of the box.

Ivan MacKenzie.
Dec 21, 2006, 06:25 AM
xtc
xtc
outrageously large member
royal evo 9 owner,previous hitec eclipse owner says;; go evo !!!
Dec 21, 2006, 08:01 AM
Post deleted by me. See below.
Last edited by Murocflyer; Dec 21, 2006 at 09:11 PM.
Dec 21, 2006, 05:22 PM
Paranoid Penguin

uhh ya!!!

Optic 6 has crow and camber use it daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboyken
No, the Optic can't do a 4-servo wing. It lacks 4-servo camber or crow for a start.

I have a new Cockpit SX and I am using it for all my slope wings as well as my F3B glider with a 4-servo wing. It covers all this very well, it is a synth radio and it is far cheaper than any other radio which can do all this. It's also really easy to use. I'm rapt!

I strongly recommend you include it in your deliberations.

Good Luck!
Dec 21, 2006, 05:48 PM
Rick Rogahn
How do you program that on the Optic? (Crow)
Dec 21, 2006, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by let1fly
Optic 6 has crow and camber use it daily
That's what I thought. I read some guys flying the MUS was using the Optic 6 for crow.

I'm just not familiar with the set up.

Frank
Dec 21, 2006, 11:34 PM
I do this for fun!

Optic 6 not up to the job

I stand by my previous post about the Optic 6. It has NO mixing functions for 4-servo wings. It uses 1 channel for flaps so both flaps always have to do the same thing. It has no mixers to integrate flaps and ailerons and set camber on both or to get Crow braking happening. By Crow I mean ailerons up, flaps down and elevator compensation as required (usually down).

The Optic also lacks Ail- Flap or Flap - Ail mixers. Without Ail - Flap your roll rate will be about half what you can achieve with this mix.

Please note I never said you can't fly a 4-servo wing plane with an Optic 6. You can. The 'but' is that you can do hardly any of the mixing to take advantage of having separate flaps and ailerons instead of flaperons.

I know this is true because I have borrowed an Optic 6 and the manual and tried to set up an F3B plane with it. I did this when I was evaluating choices for my next radio.

I agree the Evo is a magnificent radio (I'm a Multiplex fan), however it is quite expensive and it has a history of synth module problems.

The 9303 is also an excellent sailplane radio. It is also relatively expensive.

I chose the Cockpit SX because it is flat out the cheapest radio that does all the mixing needed for a 4-servo wing plus it is synth. Since getting the radio I am even more impressed with its capabilities and that it has given me by far the easiest job of setting up an F3B plane I've ever had. Easy, cheap and capable are a great combination!

Good luck whatever you choose!