Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 11, 2002, 11:13 PM

Crashed Lite Stick - How to Repair? (Newbie ??s)

My maiden flight with my Lite Stick (Pico Stick) didn't go well (it's all my fault). The landing was "less than perfect" and I broke the fuse stick in two places: behind the motor mount and in front of the wing mount. I've only built this plane and a Wingo (styrofoam) so I'm not sure how to repair this.

Since it's wood should I use a wood glue? Epoxy? CA? Other?

Just shove the breaks back together with glue? Other reinforcement?

If I decide the breaks won't mate up, can I splice on a replacement somehow?

It really didn't seem like this plane is very forgiving on landings. Any help greatly appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2002, 11:22 PM
I would probably use slow (i.e. 30-minute) epoxy very sparingly, with thin plywood reinforcements. Wood glue takes too long and I think CA might be too brittle. Remember to keep the glue to a minimum so the Lite Stick doesn't become a Heavy Stick. Make sure to take your time to align things BEFORE the glue starts to set.

You might want to get a spare fuse stick or two if they are a concern.
Sep 11, 2002, 11:35 PM
Bob Mintus,

Thanks for the reply. I've wondered about a spare but how can I use a spare if the rudder/elevator are glued to the one I've got?

Could I buy a sturdier fuse such as what comes with the Slow Stick/Dust Stik (carbon fiber right?)?
Sep 11, 2002, 11:41 PM
If the stabs are glued to the stick, you could cut them away with a razor blade, making sure you didn't leave much on the stick. I would think you could buy a spare from a similar kit, but am not too familiar with a Lite Stick.

My Slow Stick uses square box tubing (I think aluminum), but the carbon fiber might be lighter.
Sep 12, 2002, 07:22 AM
Now with more COWBELL!
When I repaired my Stik a while back, I cut off the end of the fuse holding the tail feathers and spliced it onto a new piece of wood. Cut the ends at a 45 degree angle to give you more gluing area. Then I glued a small balsa plate (about an inch long, and wide as the stick) over the join area. It's been flown hard, and no problems all this summer.
Sep 12, 2002, 08:26 AM
I have also spliced a new motor mount on the end of my stick, if you have some 1/64 ply, this works great to reinforce the joint.
Philip
Sep 12, 2002, 10:22 AM

i have gone through a few of those

stiks this summer;

my next move is to get a carbon fiber stik; the quality of some of the stiks from gws is quite variable and some of the stiks are essentially just balsa and break easily;

horizon hobby sells a fuse replacement for 4 or 5 dollars; i went that route one time but the stik broke after 2 flights;

fixing them with epoxy will be a good short run fix but the stik is likely to break again;

just my $.02;

jeff