Sep 24, 2007, 12:44 PM
Max
In two weeks I'll start the project. The final weight shouldn't increase by more than 0.2 gr with additional act and magnet if I do everything fine. I really have to find lighter acrylic paint now or I could try airbrushing markers on the durobatics (anyone tried this ? ). Unpainted 3 ch 6 inch ws model would weight close to 3 gr. Not much more left for paint.
Other option is to print the images on durobatics on an inkjet printer. This technique is has not been shared so much and for me is still a mystery. I have couple of printers that I could take apart and try to modify the feeding mechanism to feed the foam sheets through it.
Note to myself : just don't try a color laser printer... lol

So my questions again: anyone tried to use sharpies on the durobatics ? what's the outcome?
Anyone knows if the inkjet printing works ok and what inks will mess up the foam ?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2007, 03:07 PM
Permanent markers work well on foam. I have taken markers apart and soaked the felt like material inside in alcohol to extract the ink. It can then be sprayed or brushed on. Only problem is the limited amount of colors available and that it easily bleeds into the foam.

Michael
Sep 24, 2007, 04:03 PM

Printing on DUROBATICS

Here are some samples of sharpies on DUROBATICS. The border of the letters are done with a ball point pen to get sharp detail. The "S" was high lighted with gold and silver pens.
Sep 29, 2007, 08:28 AM
Back in the game.
"I am thinking about using the piccoz motor and prop as this provides excellent thrust. I think it was over 2.2grams at 3.7volts." just started reading this thread is that the tail motor or the main and which of the three props(top bottom or tail)? allso will it work with the 2A esc in the plantraco recevers?
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Sep 29, 2007 at 10:30 AM.
Sep 29, 2007, 10:16 AM
Back in the game.
"Have some plans or 3 view ? " Youcan get a three view for the horten on Fiddlersgreen.net. Do you guys think one of their models made of paper would fly with the plantraco gear and maybe the picooz motor and prop?
Sep 29, 2007, 04:21 PM
it ain't got no gas in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron
"Have some plans or 3 view ? " Youcan get a three view for the horten on Fiddlersgreen.net. Do you guys think one of their models made of paper would fly with the plantraco gear and maybe the picooz motor and prop?
it might work, but brobibly not at the 1/72 scale, i never thought paper was heavy untill i got the durobatics material.
Sep 29, 2007, 06:14 PM
Back in the game.
no not at 1:72 but at closer to 1:48 10" span (sorry for the confusion)
Sep 29, 2007, 07:25 PM
it ain't got no gas in it
it would need a bit of carbon fibre renforcement but then i bet it would work.
Sep 30, 2007, 06:42 AM
Back in the game.
I was thinking of useing card for the fuse and tailplanes and paper for the wings with some 1/16" balsa for the struts and wing braceing, but now that you said that wouldnt carbon be lighter and holdup better?
Sep 30, 2007, 07:12 AM
Back in the game.
or maybe card for the whole thing for more strength
Sep 30, 2007, 07:25 AM
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-b...num=1148478782

Michael
Oct 02, 2007, 10:10 PM
First please understand this plane was not ready to be shown, but I need advice.

I have followed micromad's leads and tried to copy what he has done.

The plane itself looks pretty cool, I'm proud of it.

The electronics used is Plantraco gear. A micro hinge act, Butterfly receiver, 20 mah pack, a picco z tail motor and prop.

Ok, I tried it and it just floats to the ground. It's not a lawn dart it just floats down. It's like there is no power.

Should I use a motor from a Butterfly gear box? Or what?

I'm stumped.

Oh and before anyone rips me a new one for using the hinge act, I thought it would work. If I had the power to fly I think it might.
Oct 02, 2007, 10:16 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
hmm weird symptoms...i made a 1/72 scale zero and it did sort of the same thing..it flew about 10 feet but always lost altitude..i changed the angle of the motor and switched the motor as well and that helped...whats the weight of your plane???

ohh what thickness foam?
Oct 02, 2007, 10:18 PM
The plane weighs in at 3.3 grams, with battery and prop.

The foam is 2mm I think. With a little piece of balsa to act as a skid plate.
Oct 02, 2007, 10:24 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
hmm it is light enough are you sure the motor is not worn out??? 2mm thick?? mine was 1mm sanded to about .4 or .3 mm in that are it was thin then heated and itd stiffen...mine flew so fast that the first time i crashed it all shatered and i broke the rx

Quick Reply