Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 15, 2006, 04:46 PM
The ceiling is the limit!
Thread OP
Build Log

1/72nd mk1 Spitfire build and fly thread

I am going to begin a 1/72nd 2 channel mk1 Spitfire. This will be a 4mm dd model using the plantraco rx. In this thread I will go through all the processes in building a Spitfire from the fuselarge assembly to building a prop and to flying the model. I think I have a real challenge here so wish me luck.

many thanks

Alex
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2006, 05:13 PM
Wanton construction
Go go go Alex!
Wishing you luck!
Any info on how and what you'll be using?
Built up fuselage or profile?

Although, what's with you Brits and the Spitfire?
Is there a law or something that states you have to make every second model a Spitty?

Just kidding!
Dec 15, 2006, 05:50 PM
Glad he's not building a DH Puss Moth!

Michael
Dec 15, 2006, 07:43 PM
Very keen to see it.

I beleive that even though American law only dictates every THIRD model is a P51 - they still out number spits by sheer weight of population

I will have to check the legislation out here. I may get arreseted if I don't make my 2nd plane a scale of VH-USU.
Dec 15, 2006, 08:14 PM
Wanton construction
Epilot: arrh, you lost me there?

Andrew (glad to see your Sex Machine is coming along, lol) If I remember correctly, Australian law let's you build any machine.. as long as it is either:
a) operated by Qantas or served in the RAAF
b) has a passing resemblance with a wallaby, dingo or anything else indigenous
c) adorned with a Foster's sticker
Don't know where VH-USU fits in that.

And yes, only one in three model has to be a P51 in the US, but half of those have to be Miss America. Same goes with P38 and White Lightning.

And Micromad you better get posting in this thread before it derails completely!
Dec 16, 2006, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
The Spitfire basically represents Britain and that is why I have chosen it. Also after seeing Robert's and Peter's I just had to have a go.
Right then lets start building.
First thing is to decide what to build it from as I want a scale model I will need to build a full fuse model not a profile.
There are about 2 catagories to chose from:
foam and balsa.
I have chosen foam as the real thing was built out of metal although I think some of the first Spitfires were actually built from wood?

I have a number of ideas of what foam to build it from these are:

Durobatics- expensive but nice

Depron- good and cheap

wallfoam- cheap and nasty

bluefoam- good but hard to slice. Also a nice colour as you do not have to paint the bottom of the aircraft as the aircraft is sky blue.

pink foam- this is good but is also hard to slice and is quite difficult to get rid of the pink unless you wanted to build the photo reconnaisence spit!

Right so when I have decided what foam I will begin. Stay tuned.

Alex
Dec 16, 2006, 09:05 AM
Thread OP
Ok then I've decided to build this model from blue foam as with this material it is possible to get a smooth finish and does not need to much paint. Also if you cut it right it is very light and strong. I have dusted off my hot wire foam cutter to do a bit of cutting.
The wire used for cutting comes from an e string from my electric guitar and the power I use is supplied from a 12volt Scalextric power pack used for slot car racing.
Here is a picture of it:
Dec 16, 2006, 11:17 AM
i cant fly 55
Alex

Just like your hellcat you did an exxellent job! i hope to see pics! because evryone knows that spitfires were meant to fly

Kyle
Dec 16, 2006, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind comment f14_Tomcat_92'. I am pleased you liked my Hellcat. I have been doing more work to that today and have bought the weight down to 8.24grams.

Right this is the net result with using my hot wire cutter and some blue foam. It cuts the blue foam really nice and it looks like the blue foam version of durobatics.
Onwards and upwards!

Alex
Dec 16, 2006, 12:44 PM
Thread OP
Last week I was lucky enough to find the airfix Spitfire 1/72nd plastic model kit in my lhs, I say lucky because Airfix have recently gone bust. The company has now been taken over by Hornby but the kits will not be put into production until March. Anyways here is a picture of the box and the colour scheme I shall paint the Spit. I will photo copy the transfers to tissue paper and stick them on my model.

Alex
Dec 17, 2006, 02:41 AM
Cool. Keep us posted
Dec 17, 2006, 06:37 AM
Thread OP
The next thing is to cut out the templates.
Dec 17, 2006, 08:10 AM
foamanologist
Good job so far. Those templates look like the ones Robert made up. Hope all goes well on your journey!
Dec 17, 2006, 11:00 AM
Thread OP
Yes they are similar to Roberts. I drew them out after studying the templates Robert used.
Here is the blue foam fuselarge ready to be rolled. I will follow the instructions here

Alex
Dec 17, 2006, 11:27 AM
MICROMAD, can you please explain how and where you got those templates for the fuse,from the plastic model???

Quick Reply