Dec 12, 2006, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Building a 40" Stinson "Stationwagon"

The latest in the series of 40" IPS designs is the 40" Stinson 108 for 3 ch. R/C. The plans have been in the works for awhile, and am finally getting started on what's turning out to be a fun -- and simple build.

As always, it starts at the back with framing the tail feathers. My favorite part of the "Stationwagon" is that gigantic vertical tail. There's just something about it that I just can't get past!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2006, 09:57 PM
Thread OP

Moving on to the Wings

With the last 3 out of the last 4 p-types being biplanes at varying levels of complexity it's kinda' nice to tie into an easy one again. The wing is a single spar arrangement with a bowed tip -- and no ailerons, so there's really nothing out of the ordinary here. Both panels were rough framed, then removed from the board to build the center section.
Dec 12, 2006, 10:02 PM
Thread OP

Framing the Center Section

The center section was roughed in on the plans, then the outer panels were fitted and glued in place. The C-section incorperates a short rear spar which sets the dihedral angle. The tips were blocked up, just to insure that both sides came out exactly the same while the front and rear spars were glued in place with thin Cya.
Dec 12, 2006, 10:09 PM
Thread OP

Framing the Fuselage

The side frames were built over the plan, then lifted off and pinned over the top view where the wing bolt plate and the bottom formers were glued in place. The assembly was lifted from the board and the top formers added. Mostof the formers, and the landing gear assembly is in place now, so the next step will be to get the wing header and firewall in place. Then it's on to the stringers.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 12, 2006 at 10:17 PM.
Dec 13, 2006, 12:59 AM
Nice to see a model of the 108. It's a great airplane. A good friend of mine owns one here in Comox, British Columbia. He recently refinished it in an eye catching yellow and black paint scheme. His also has a 210HP motor, so it really gets up and goes. It spends a lot of time on floats, so the extra ponies help. Anyway, there is a video of the airplane and some local scenery on Youtube here . I might just have to build me one of these!
Dec 13, 2006, 02:20 AM

Bingo!

Another hit, Pat! Please sign me up!!!
Dec 13, 2006, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
Von, The 210 should turn the Stinson into a pretty hot little airplane. My Dad took his instrument time in a stock 108. Said it was a good flyer, but definitely under powered with the stock set-up.

PAT
Dec 13, 2006, 10:27 AM
That's why he put the big mill up front. With the floats on the airplane, the stock motor was barely enough. With the 210HP motor, it has lots of oomph. There's a lot of mountain lakes around here, and it nice to be able to clear the hills on take off!
Dec 13, 2006, 03:31 PM
Neophyte hacker
Pat,

I gotta learn not to be surprised when you have half the plane finished less than a few days after I get you the parts.

Before I forget, what is the next (third) series for Dumas? DH-4 and what else? I gotta write this stuff down someday

charlie
Dec 13, 2006, 04:18 PM
pray for our troops
Oh hell Charlie, I could tell you that: it's the Collegian and the full-span T-craft (as well as the DH-4 of course). I just got my holiday catalog from Dumas a couple of weeks ago and stare at it from time to time just to lower the BP for a moment while the kids and dog are acting crazy.

Pat,

I'll be watching and enjoying your progress on this one. Looks like I'll be starting on the ARE in a couple of weeks. Is it strange to be looking more forward to starting a build than Christmas? Oh well, I guess that's something I'll have to live with.

Rob
Dec 13, 2006, 05:27 PM
Neophyte hacker
LOL

Thanks Rob.
Dec 13, 2006, 07:14 PM
Pat, nice looking framing, as usual!

Von, great video, and a very nice looking 108 for the subject. I must also add that it certainly isn't underpowered!

AmpAce
Dec 13, 2006, 09:36 PM

A little beauty

Oh, now you've done it. I'm already into 2011 for my gift list . If you are looking for colours, how about this pretty little visitor we had up to Whitehorse last summer. I just had to take a bunch of picture for some future build.

Regards,
John
Dec 13, 2006, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=pac ace]Oh hell Charlie, I could tell you that: it's the Collegian and the full-span T-craft (as well as the DH-4 of course). I just got my holiday catalog from Dumas a couple of weeks ago and stare at it from time to time just to lower the BP for a moment while the kids and dog are acting crazy.

PAC, Thanks for that, I hate to admit it, but I had to stop and think about that one for a minute There's so much new stuff cooking off around here lately that I have to color code the parts just to make sure to get wings on the right fuselage

Charlie, Swing by when you have time for a great big stogie and I'll bring you up to date

I'll be watching and enjoying your progress on this one. Looks like I'll be starting on the ARE in a couple of weeks. Is it strange to be looking more forward to starting a build than Christmas? Oh well, I guess that's something I'll have to live with.

It turns out that the Voyager really is a pretty quick build, mostly because it's so "conventional" when compared to some of the more recent projects.

PAT
Dec 13, 2006, 09:58 PM
Thread OP

Continuing With the Fuselage

The goal today was to get the fuselage frame pretty well done and sanded. It all began by adding the horizontal stab mount and getting the aft top side stringered. With that done, the cabin side fill and stringers were added, followed by the bottom stringers.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 13, 2006 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply