Dec 11, 2006, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Radical RC Wicked Wing

Ok, here is my newest project. Span 11.2",Weight 2.75 to 3.25oz,Area about 80 sq",Power GWS 50XC (anything 10watts or better). It's way over powered so equiped. We're through the initial trials and adjustments. What you are looking at is a wing that is about the size of the small Micro Bipe top wing. This is our fully equiped and test flown prototype #2. #1 had a nose that was too short and didn't allow us to balance with all the goodies inside. #2 balances out just fine. Yes, the photo makes it look bigger than it is. That's the Airforce Museum in Dayton Ohio (they're across from us) in the background.

You'll notice very unusual vertical stab placement. I've never seen this done before. I've had 4 or 5 scratch built flying wings over the years with the vertical placed on the elevons. The first time I used this setup was about 8 years ago. It's great as it gets the vertical surface a little further back (more effective and need less area) and certainly adds some engineering style to a wing. It could have been done before me but I've never found evidence of such in any magazines or elsewhere so just maybe it's a new invention. Also you'll notice the styling here is organic. I was trying to pick up the lines of a bat. I'm very curious to see how others take this styling to the next level in covering schemes. I couldn't resist putting a tail on this little beast.

The kit has 61 laser cut parts. Thats one for every 1.31 square inches ;-).
You might notice the two small fang marks in the wingtips, these are the marks for your CG locations (another RRC inovation?)

This is no beginners airplane to be certain. It's very fast at WOT. I find myself cruising around at lower speeds and only using WOT for loops and such. Does nice rolls, loops and inverted flight. Lands very easily. I've even done a near top speed cartwheel (oops!!!) by accident once in a large fast banking turn when the ground was about 12" closer than I thought. Came through needing only a prop! Lets see, there were several crashes related to flying #1 too tail heavy and the first flight on #2 (above) I had the ailerons crossed up. Nasty mistake. However, I've never damaged one of these models in a crash to date. I don't think it weighs enough to hurt itself very easily.

I'm using a Polk Seeker III TX, Berg 4L RX, RRC 490 servos, Castle Pixe 7 ESC, Kokam 2S 340/360 packs and GWS 50XC direct drive brushed motor, prop is a 3-3 GWS. You need a radio with V-Tail mixing. I'm flying it fine without turning on expo yet but it wouldn't hurt to have that feature as well in your TX. Yes, you could fit the GWS V-tail mixer inside this model (if your radio lacks Vtail mix) but it's fairly cramped inside already.

A couple of E-Zoner's have beta test kits on the way. Look forward to your comments here. Hopefully they share some construction, finish and flight photo's here.

Happy Haunting!
Dave Thacker
Radical RC
Last edited by radicalrc; Dec 11, 2006 at 11:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2006, 05:43 PM
ooops
Tres cool LOL
Dec 11, 2006, 06:00 PM
ARF Hater Club
Looks fun and fast!
Dec 11, 2006, 06:52 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Woah, that rocks!! I love the vertical stab placement, that's very unique and cool-looking! I've been looking forward to seeing this since you mentioned it in the Micro Bipe thread and it was worth the wait Can't wait to get my hands on one, I've already got some interesting covering schemes dancing through my head
Dec 11, 2006, 07:22 PM
I love your planes... Really Great stuff...

But find it very hard to navigate your web site.
Dec 11, 2006, 07:36 PM
ooops
Navigate hell... do what the ladies do... browse and shop !! LOL
Dec 11, 2006, 07:44 PM
Saw you flying it today at lunchtime in front of the shop. Santiago P and I were coming back from flying at the city field - nearly ran off the road trying to watch it!
Dec 11, 2006, 09:52 PM
Guess Who's Back? :D
type of battery used??
Dec 11, 2006, 10:28 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
A wee small one.
Dec 11, 2006, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
We're flying it on Kokam 340/360 2S packs. Anything in the 250 to 400 range is worth considering. I'm going to try it on a 740 just becuase I know somebody will ask but that's outside my original intentions for the model.

It will hold a 360 3S. As it is, it's sick overpowered and I'm not used to the speed and ground it covers yet. I'm sure somebody out there might have the skill to fly it at 100mph but not me. ;-) I'm quite happy.

Finished the first draft of the instructions tonight. Going to make an adjustment to the CG markings on the tips and add some length to the horns (so I can run the servo's above 60%), other than that, we're ready to run a batch of them.

I'm looking for the actual screw size that fits the GWS 50XC motor. Anybody got that info? I'd like to buy the screws by the box so I can include them in the kit. The GWS screws are usuable but a little too short.

Dave
Last edited by radicalrc; Dec 11, 2006 at 11:22 PM.
Dec 11, 2006, 11:34 PM
I have seen my dreams turn in to nightmares, but this plane is like a nightmare that turned into a dream. Wicked looking wing Dave, so when are the kits coming out? I can assume that I tell my wife what I really want for Valentine's Day?
Good Luck with the kit Dave!!
Dec 12, 2006, 12:06 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalrc

I'm looking for the actual screw size that fits the GWS 50XC motor. Anybody got that info?
It must be some kind of trade secret or something I just checked the Feigao web site and they have drawings of all of their motors EXCEPT the 120 series. The 130 series uses M2.5 screws, but I think the 120 series uses smaller ones than that. All-E-RC sells just the screws here:

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=1442

But they're the same length as stock so I don't think those will help.

I also checked around to see if anyone has run the short can Feigao motors in a direct drive application and haven't found anything yet. The KV is 5250, so it may be too hot of a wind for DD. It's a shame, because a 16 gram brushless would be great for this wing
Dec 12, 2006, 01:57 AM
Can I buy one and beta test along with the others?

I have 2 micro sticks, 1 snotliner, 1 mini stick and a micro bipe........I need this.

Yes I am begging guys....so what ...quit looking at me like that.
Dec 12, 2006, 09:43 AM
ooops
Begging is cool. How do you like the snotliner?
Dec 12, 2006, 09:48 AM
ooops
Wait til Batman see's this one =)

Quick Reply