Dec 07, 2006, 02:28 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Which EPP park flyer query???

Hi,

I would like to get into smaller flying R/C.

Currently I have a larger scale delta wing pusher, but would like to move to smaller planes.: ie 20-40cm.

After surfing the forum I bought the Silverlit X-twin Sports which has been fun, but I would like to have little more control over the plane.

The type of setup I would like in the plane is:
- small single brushless prop (pull or push),
- EPP constructed plane (similar to the “x-twin sports”)with the delta wing or traditional rudder setup?
- Appropriate Li-po and speed controller

Is there a model out there?

Cheers
Alf
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2006, 04:01 AM
I just maidened a small EPP Boomer (pusher) in 10mph winds, gusting.
Its a 2.5ozs flying weight, 18.5" wing, LPS motor and 210mah lipo. Its a semi copy of it big brother the Wild-Cat boomer, a 31" wing, 6.5oz Boomer.
Its easy to build, using a EPP pocket wing cores.
Butch
Dec 07, 2006, 10:07 AM
IWC
IWC
hobby lobby Gull (I have zero experience with this plane)
Last edited by IWC; Dec 07, 2006 at 10:19 AM.
Dec 07, 2006, 05:44 PM
Sussex, UK
There are a few 'pocket' flying wings, but they tend to be fairly fast.

Why do you want to go that small? Once you go under about 7oz and 24" span it gets quite hard to build something with standard gear, and it gets knocked around by light winds (compared to a larger version) so it's normally only of interest to indoor fliers.
Dec 18, 2006, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett
There are a few 'pocket' flying wings, but they tend to be fairly fast.

Why do you want to go that small? Once you go under about 7oz and 24" span it gets quite hard to build something with standard gear, and it gets knocked around by light winds (compared to a larger version) so it's normally only of interest to indoor fliers.
Hi Robin,
Thanks for your reply, I was hoping to get into something that small as a 900mah (or smaller) pack is less expensive than a 2100mah pack. Unfortunatly money for modelling is not as abundant as it was 12 months ago.

I also liked the idea of a smaller plane to fly in the park near my home (early in the morning to avoid wind).
Dec 18, 2006, 08:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
I just maidened a small EPP Boomer (pusher) in 10mph winds, gusting.
Its a 2.5ozs flying weight, 18.5" wing, LPS motor and 210mah lipo. Its a semi copy of it big brother the Wild-Cat boomer, a 31" wing, 6.5oz Boomer.
Its easy to build, using a EPP pocket wing cores.
Butch
Hi Butch,

I would like to find out more about your EPP Boomer. Where do you get your EPP Pocket wing cores from?
Dec 18, 2006, 01:35 PM
There are several EPP flying wing suppliers. What size Boomer did you want?
Also what power system, batt and how windy is it when you fly.
I took out the pocket Boomer yesterday after Church and the wind was gusting a bit over 10mph. I had no problems flying the 2.5oz Pocket-Cat Boomer. Butch
Dec 18, 2006, 03:01 PM
You may consider the Wild-Cat, or a simular size Boomer. I have several in the 30" range, about 6-7ozs, that fly in the street and bounce off trees, poles and cars, etc. I have a lot of the cores and parts to build them, Butch

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586942
Dec 18, 2006, 03:40 PM
Sussex, UK
> I was hoping to get into something that small as a 900mah (or smaller) pack is less expensive

That size battery would be suitable for a 30" wing - a 18" wing would use a 2s300mAh (which isn't any cheaper).

I've just build a 32" wing for a 2s1100 and cdrom motor for a friend who is learning ailerons - it flies fast enough to handle 15mph winds but slow enough to fly in a football field, gentle enough for learning but powerful enough for loops and rolling circles. This was the cheapest power system I could find.

Butch's Boomers look like a good mod to a standard wing, but I would still suggest you would do better with cheap motor and battery on a 30" wing than overloading a small wing with the same power system.
Dec 18, 2006, 05:27 PM
Your right Robin, a 900mah batt is large for a small plane. The Beginners Wild-Cat Boomer I have is a 31" IPS powered. It flys on a 3 cell 340mah batt and will fly at 50% power. At 75% power it will fly for over 20 minutes. It can be flown in the wind(if you have quick thumbs) and it can be flown indoors, like in half a basket ball court. I fly in in a small street. Butch

Quick Reply