Dec 06, 2006, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Another Pole

I saw this...

PoleCam

I'm not sure if he's on this forum or not. Cool idea. A tad pricey if you ask me.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2006, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumddude
I saw this...

PoleCam

Cool idea. A tad pricey if you ask me.
haha just a tad.thats just Insane what they want for it!
Dec 06, 2006, 04:33 PM
Its all fun
Dec 06, 2006, 04:37 PM
Its all fun
Gee, my ghetto pole at $550 plus existing radio and $300 camera must be garbage
Dec 06, 2006, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott
That's right! You will never get pictures like you've been taking with it
Dec 06, 2006, 06:25 PM
As long as the camera is RC controled and the height well above man's upright stance and outstreched arm (kite, blimp or pole), or the camera is caried by a model boat, car, plane, heli, or "four motor hover thing" (4hover) it is RC AP in my book.

The poles aren't a bad idea, but very limited in their range from about 3 to about 25 meters and a additional load of stuff to lug around. But they probably fill the gap between RC plane and ground level. Below 25 meters the plane may be moving too fast relative to the target to get really crisp and well-framed pics. The poles don't have the same limitations re weather and available space as blimps, kites and planes. And they may be useable indoors.

Given the choice though, if the prices come down I think I-d prefer one of those 4hover things. Easy to transport, even on airplane trips, usable indoor and out, and perfect for filling the gap from 3 to 30 or even about 60 meters. But current prices (somewhere between USD 1000 for the toy version with limited lift, and USD 10 to 30 thou for the German pro version (with the VR glasses, notebook, transport cases, Tx, etc, etc,) with about 200 gram lifting capacity, are still too high. They should be down to the "garbage pole" level within 1 to 2 years as the material used really isn't that expensive and the electronics and programming once developed to the toy version level will quickly drop like a rock.
Dec 06, 2006, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Geez Tony, you're scaring me with those power lines!

Nice looking setup and pictures. Any more picts of your tripod base? I have a 30 ft mast and would like to use some sort of tripod base to hold it so I don't have to handhold it while trying to take pictures.
Dec 06, 2006, 09:57 PM
Destroyer of G-10
looks like i need to raise my prices. I need to call wonderpole. they are just down the road, so I can offer package deals. :\
Dec 06, 2006, 11:12 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Quote:
you def. have the fastest AP car!
Dec 06, 2006, 11:20 PM
Its all fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreslism
Geez Tony, you're scaring me with those power lines!

Nice looking setup and pictures. Any more picts of your tripod base? I have a 30 ft mast and would like to use some sort of tripod base to hold it so I don't have to handhold it while trying to take pictures.
nah, don't worry about those wires Scott, the photo is a bit misleading.. the nearest wire was actually at least 10 feet away. Also, the pole is glassfibre, not that I would ever rely on that

As for the tripod, they came in pairs, but it would cost too much to ship my spare one over to you .

Found a few on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-PAIR-ON-S...QQcmdZViewItem

or a silver one
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DuraStage-SPE...QQcmdZViewItem

etc.
The "trick" was to overcome the light weight of the stand, so I bought three "drysacs" and filled them with sand. Once there is an additional 40lbs hanging from the tripod, it ain't goin' nowhere! Especially since my pole, camera and mount only weigh 6 1/2lbs. In order to allow for uneven ground, I bought a slab of hard rubber (12" x6" x2") and cut it with a circular saw (!) into 3 pieces, and then drilled different depth holes in each piece, plus a long 1/2" one right through all of them, so I can lock them together with a screwdriver or similar.

I have attached a photo showing the scrotums///drysacs full of sand.

It is a snap to fit in the boot/trunk once each sandbag is removed, as no individual item weghs as much as each sandbag
Dec 06, 2006, 11:25 PM
Its all fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave
you def. have the fastest AP car!
Thanks! Mind you, it goes a bit slower with all the gear in it! The poles go in a fishing rod bag and fit between the front seats, while the rest is in the boot. My friend's Ion-X >just< fits across the back seat if we remove the canopy
Dec 07, 2006, 12:11 AM
I AP'd myself again......
Quote:
Thanks! Mind you, it goes a bit slower with all the gear in it! The poles go in a fishing rod bag and fit between the front seats, while the rest is in the boot. My friend's Ion-X >just< fits across the back seat if we remove the canopy
Nobody told you that chicks dig the mini van!

plus you can carry all your AP stuff easier.

0-60 MPH in a couple minutes!
Dec 07, 2006, 08:55 AM
cya
Last edited by cainebean; Jan 21, 2007 at 06:24 PM.
Dec 07, 2006, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave
Nobody told you that chicks dig the mini van!
[IMG]ChickMagnet[/IMG]

Too true. It's hard to balance the pole, look at the view finder, click the pictures I want, all while fending of the females. Um...they are all behind me. Had I used a panaromic picture...

Also, this is not from a plane. I'm that tall Ok, it was a pole.
Dec 07, 2006, 10:08 AM
Nice photos on there Caine. This guy may be asking some coin for his pole, but ya know what? You'll pay for it several times over. It isn't really that bad of a price all things considered. You could spend that much to get a good helicopter in the air.

Quick Reply