Dec 29, 2006, 08:54 PM
Intakes could use something, I've had five flights on mine, and they take a beating. I'm thinking some packing tape would toughen them up. Also, if you have CF and don't mind using it, I don't think reinforcing would hurt. I bet TT is right, and that after 20 flights or so I might see some losening and flexing going on.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2006, 12:58 AM
Addicted to WOT

And I now give you.... PAINT!!!

Okay she is painted... now for mounting electronics... sigh... and the presentation of this gift to my dad tomorrow. No sleep for me... enjoy the pics.
Last edited by lilhildy; Dec 30, 2006 at 01:04 AM.
Dec 30, 2006, 07:21 AM
Keep it up, I'm reloading
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Guys , these birds eat UP alot of sky pretty quickly ..... you might want to make some part of your model HIGHLY VISIBLE !!!!!! We use Flourescent orange spray paint on the tips on the underside the wing... really helps!!!!!
I agree 100%. I am on bird number 3 of GPW's design. It's easy to get far away quickly.
Dec 30, 2006, 08:55 AM
jmh
jmh
Hello all, I made an addition to my F-14 that may be of interest. I took most of the flex out of the wing and also made it look better. I connected the intakes together with 3/16' balsa stringers (front & back)on the bottom side. Then added a 3mm cover over the bottom side. This covers all the servos,wires,etc. Leave a space front and back to allow cooling air to flow thru. Really looks better in the air. jmh
Dec 30, 2006, 08:59 AM
Addicted to WOT
jmh...Nice touch!... I was thinking about that but was unsure. How does it fly and do you notice increased drag at all? Got pix?
Dec 30, 2006, 11:06 PM
Addicted to WOT
Gave my Dad his F-14 today... he's loving it!!!! Most fun christmas present I ever gave! Then quickly slapped together a second one to test fly and learn how she handles and protect and tweek the pretty one. After three short flights into the ground I finally figured out that there was not enough control throw available the way I had set them up. Changed servo linkages and then glued a plastic card to each surface to make up for what I lacked in throw. Servo horns were just too short. Then she flew sweet!! Puts on an amazing show!! Perfect profile shape on flybyes and high alfa was flawless. Even in the windy conditions! Came back in and set up my dads with longer servo arms and increased full throws to 45 degrees.

What throws are you guys flying with?
Also the 16 3/4 Cog is perfect right on the money!! Nice job Toast.

After recharge I was Fighting the winds and trying to play a little too much resulted in her death cartwheel across the ground but wow she was fun! After the sun goes down blue foam and blue sky are the exact same color! the orange tape was even kinda hard to pick out.

Time to build up a sweet painted version for me now! Neon-camo maybe?!
Last edited by lilhildy; Dec 30, 2006 at 11:35 PM.
Dec 31, 2006, 06:32 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
You're a good son ,hildy ....
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 01, 2007, 02:01 PM
Addicted to WOT
Thanks GPW...

by the way where did you find the green foam board the you used for past F-14 builds? I am hitting the sticking point of not being able to find the Bluecore around here only the PB3 stuff.

I did find some bamboo skewers though.

JMH.. do you have any pics of your f-14 belly mod?
Last edited by lilhildy; Jan 05, 2007 at 01:11 PM.
Jan 14, 2007, 01:48 PM
Addicted to WOT
Hey toast... what CAD program are you using?
Jan 15, 2007, 04:19 PM
Hey Lil...I'm a buddy of Toasts and I'll answer in case he doesn't see this - he actually uses a 3D modeling program called Lightwave to build the plans in.

For anyone thinking of making this one that hasn't yet...it really is a great flier and well worth the effort. Great job Toast!
Jan 15, 2007, 05:31 PM
Addicted to WOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EineHund
I'll answer in case he doesn't see this
...it really is a great flier and well worth the effort. Great job Toast!

Thanks, And i second the great flier part! I love this plane and have built three now this latest one is high detailed show version. (Usually i just slap together and fly) It has to fly great for me to paint.
Last edited by lilhildy; Jan 16, 2007 at 08:29 AM.
Jan 15, 2007, 05:33 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Greenguard .... from building suppliers.... MS got mine for me ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 15, 2007, 06:02 PM
Third the good flying part.

Del
Jan 17, 2007, 10:48 AM
Addicted to WOT
Well the painting of F-14 #3 has begun.... here's a preview pic for everyone. No details yet hopefully by the weekend she will be airborn though.
Jan 17, 2007, 01:59 PM
Looking good, mind you dont lose it in trees though.

Del

Quick Reply