Dec 28, 2006, 12:51 PM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by akerkhof
Thanks for the answer GPW! Paint tomorrow hopefully, maybe maiden Friday if the weather is good.
I originally built two of GPWs designed F14s and loved them. The first had no bracing whatsoever in BlueCor. There was an observeable wing flex while pulling hard turns at or near WOT. This is not nescessarily a bad thing but combined with aileron rolls to the right, the flex combined with torque actually ended up warping the wing surface changing the in flight handling. This observation was made by one of the more experienced flyers at the field. After a few flights, the stress on the unbraced airframe eventually lead to an inflight explosion of blue foam and electronics raining down. The second one cracked due to classic dumb thumbs.

The strapping tape is a good solution, much like the way Dredd did them. I used this on a flat bobcat design and it minimized flex quite a bit.

I used CF bracing on the F14 design and it has lasted many flights in great condition. I wasnt overly concerned about weight penalties on this one with the setup I am using. It flies great almost identical to GPW's great design even though it is a bit heavier at 11oz AUW. The faux engine intakes also enhance the longitudinal strength a bit more which was noticably weakend due to fulcruming with the battery to get CG on GPW's. This happened on both of my original GPW cuts. It is designed and built to last a bit longer. I am sure GPW or others who have experienced his design will offer differing opinions on this.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2006, 12:52 PM
Addicted to WOT
both of mine are blue core and had no problems at all. Fit together very nicely! Great plan by Toxic.
Dec 28, 2006, 12:56 PM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
Down thrust was no problem after you and GPW mentioned it would need a little, I just put a couple of small washers on the two lower screws, between motor plate and mount, worked a treat.

Running with a 6X4 prop now, goes a bit faster now, lol.
Try it with an even higher pitch. 6x5.5 APC prop (APC composites dont flex as much at higher RPMs and keep their design pitch better). I think you will get even more speed now! Glad to hear about the downthrust, my next cut will include a little down in the mounting and I am curious as to how well it will work.

Glad to hear the plane has worked well for you. The maiden video my friend took dosent really show the full range of flight character on this plane as I've since learned to do mellow high AOA passes and push the envelope a bit more now that I am comfortable with it.

Hope to see someone else' video of the plane!
Dec 28, 2006, 01:08 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Toast...Sounds good to me Dude!!!!
Would have loved to have seen the "speed of Foam" incident
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 28, 2006, 01:58 PM
That prop is the next step, no decent model shop around here though so will have to wait untill i go back over to my base.

My Bro took a bit of video today, not looked at it yet, only short.

He missed my tree strike though, clipped the top single stem of our Fir tree in the Garden. Hit wing between fuselage and righthand intake strake, cut a groove into it and stopped the plane pretty quick, landed it flat just past the tree.

Fixed and flown since ok, no pic of damage, one of repair below.
Dec 28, 2006, 02:06 PM
That prop is the next step, no decent model shop around here though so will have to wait untill i go back over to my base.

My Bro took a bit of video today, not looked at it yet, only short.

He missed my tree strike though, clipped the top single stem of our Fir tree in the Garden. Hit wing between fuselage and righthand intake strake, cut a groove into it and stopped the plane pretty quick, landed it flat just past the tree.

Fixed and flown since ok, no pic of damage, one of repair below.

Del
Dec 28, 2006, 10:28 PM
Got it painted, a sort of Jolly Rogerish scheme. Just a can of aircraft grey and a black sharpie. Whether or not it gets some yellow stripes and skull and bones depends on how good the weather is tomorrow. No wind, and it's going up as is.

I might do some bracing next time. I have a BP-21, 8Y, and a 2409-18. I figure the 21 with a 7x6 prop would do ok, and I really want to get the 12 for best performance, but would any of the other two be better fits with a 7 or 8 inch prop?
Dec 29, 2006, 12:10 AM

Tape

I'm all cut out and thought I'd get a final word on reinforcement (taping/CF) from you pros. I can see that some well placed packing tape would tighten the Tomcat quite a bit. I guess the concern would be the auw.
What do you all think?

It is a great little plane. The plans are easy enough for a new guy but enough genius in them to hopefully fly.
Thanks
Dec 29, 2006, 11:48 AM
If you check my first pic in post 27, you will see i have got a 2mm CF rod across the wing (bit of a groove, some hot Glue and tape) and some strapping tape diagonally down the wing. I was not to sure how much flex i would get thats why i used the CF. I think you can leave it off just put some strapping tape on to stiffen it up a little.

Del
Dec 29, 2006, 12:45 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Guys , these birds eat UP alot of sky pretty quickly ..... you might want to make some part of your model HIGHLY VISIBLE !!!!!! We use Flourescent orange spray paint on the tips on the underside the wing... really helps!!!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 29, 2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the tip, GPW, I'll take some hi-viz yellow out to the field with me. I'll try it as is and if I can't get oriented try the paint. I've got a very quick all-black delta I'm pretty good with though.

Any recommendations as far as the motors I mentioned, props? I'm heading out in about an hour. I got 55 degrees and zero wind!!
Dec 29, 2006, 01:32 PM
Im curious why no one has built this gem with the wings extended? I know it wouldnt be as fast but it would at least be a little different then the same ole same ole...ho hum!!!!
Dec 29, 2006, 04:23 PM
Addicted to WOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicToast
Pix Please!!! Seriously, it sounds like a pretty good idea and I think I can almost fully visualize the mount. Love to see some close ups. Got a flight report on a 14 yet?

Chris.
Sorry toast i kinda overlooked your request. Here are pics of my motor mounts.

Working on finishing paint and mounting electronics today/tonight. WIll post picks later.
Dec 29, 2006, 07:12 PM
WOW! Just got back from the field, and for the first ever time, I threw a bird in the air and it flew perfectly. Initially, I put two clicks of up trim, but after getting to cruising speed clicked it back to center. It flew beautifully.

The BP-21 / 3s lipo / 7x6 GWS prop preformed way beyond my expectations. Unlimted vertical, extremely fast, cool prop sound. I didn't need any high vis markings, the sun was at my back and when the two pointy things were up I was right side up and when they were down I was inverted. I've never had a plane with this much vertical power, so I flew it straight up until it specked, then let of the gas, and it naturally fell off into a beautiful glide.

Roll rate was pretty good with the default servo travel, everything worked just great. I don't think I missed the CF reinforcement, I did some pretty extreme yanking and banking and did not observe any flex. If I had some bambo mat material I might throw it in for the next one, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Now that I'm convinced that the COG is right I'll cut my battery slot and keep this thing around for awhile. It is going to completely replace the F-117 in my line up, it does everything it does but faster and better, plus, the nighthawk is getting a bit beat up.

I can't say enough about how good this thing looks in the air. Thanks for the plans, TT, and thanks to GPW as the grandpappie of the plan! I'd like to take a stab at the Euro fighter next.

Is the BP-12 really that much better than the 21? I got gobs of power on tap and it seemed like I got about 15 minutes our of the TP1320s, and I switched it out well before the LVC.
Dec 29, 2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I had seen the CF support but was uncertain from there. One post talked about some flat CF around the intakes as well
Thanks again
ScottSuff

Quick Reply