Oct 21, 2010, 05:48 PM
On the second flight it ended up in a tree at full throttle. Tore the whole left wing off! Good thing my FB mpthompson happened to be walking by. He's a pro at getting planes stuck in trees and, consequently, getting them out of trees. Took us two hours but we finally got it. Plane is trashed but electronics are fine.

Too bad I forgot to take pics, it really was a sight!

- Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2010, 08:38 AM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Wow! Thanks for sharing the photo of the grouping. That is so cool that you guys had four of these flying at the same place. Congrats to your crew!
Oct 22, 2010, 09:52 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicToast
Wow! Thanks for sharing the photo of the grouping. That is so cool that you guys had four of these flying at the same place. Congrats to your crew!
5 Were actually flying but 4 in the Photo. We even attempted to do some formation flying.
Dec 13, 2011, 10:05 AM
did anyone put duct fan on this one? thanks for plan
Dec 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Hey, thanks for contacting me. Yes, you could put a fan in there but you'd probably have to make some significant changes to the design. Finding the right thrust cone size and length takes a bit of research and math to do it right. There are threads about that here on RCG. I wouldn't recommend it with this design as it currently stands as the CG would be difficult to get right because all your electronics and battery would have to be up in the nose area to balance. Since it is a profile foamie, there isn't much room to put all that in the front.

Perhaps you could cut away a section in the middle and mount a fan directly in that for quick and dirty, but I'd still recommend a proper thrust cone for the fan you are using.

Personally, this design is more fun with a full load of a prop on a high kv motor.
Dec 21, 2011, 08:08 PM
Suspended Account
Forget Ducted FAN. Jet is fine as designed.
Jan 12, 2020, 07:44 PM
16 3/4 Cog, it that from the nose tip?!
Jan 15, 2020, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeWolf
16 3/4 Cog, it that from the nose tip?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicToast
CG is 16 3/4in (42.5cm) from the tip of the nose towards the tail. Its about 7 3/4in from the edge of the top of the intakes towards the tail (197mm). This is based on the 20in WS I drew plans for.

I used two flat plat brass pieces slid carefully under the battery to get the CG to balance without moving the battery any further forward. They are about 6cm x 1cm. I don't have a digital scale to give accurate AUW but I'll try to get it weighed later this week.
It sounds like you have it right based on previous posts. If you are building from the 20" wingspan plans, then yes; 16 3/4" back from the tip of the nose.

Quick Reply