Dec 22, 2006, 09:51 AM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
Hi Chris, got mine cut out ready to put together, got a Tower Pro 2409-12 wanting a home and this is a start.

Did you use any down or right thrust on the motor and are you using any relfex on the elevons.

Will post some pics when done, probably later today.

Mines out of Dark Grey Depron, wont bother with paint, just a couple of flashes with tape to give some orientation.

Del
Sorry for the delayed response. Spending time with the in-laws in southern UK right now. Wish I had a plane to fly on the days when its not so foggy because the wind is almost non-existent where I am staying (Poole, Dorset).

I didn't put any down thrust on the prototype you see in the video but the model does exhibit some mild climb when opening it up. On the dolled up version I've got in the garage back home, I plan on adding a very small amount of downthrust on the stick. Very subtle since the climb-out is mild. I based my pusher on GPW's 14 dimensions and design. It's all derrivative which is why GPW is right, a tiny amount is needed.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2006, 09:57 AM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
Bare airframe weighs 3oz at the moment, this is going to shift like Sh** off a shovel.

Two pics below, top and bottom,
Very cool to see someone else do this design! Great job, like the look in black. I'm thinking of a pretty black with light gray underbelly and some scale markings on the 'keeper' I am making.

My blue one has about 20+ flights on it already and is starting to wear in a few areas from snagging weeds in the field. One aborted takeoff where the motor mount stressed the foam too much and I caught it only after hand launch. That one made it about ten feet before and I set it down on the belly a little hard. The weak spot is the intakes which could do with a little flat CF or some generous packing tape.

Congrats on a good airframe and good luck on the maiden. Be prepared for that roll to the left on launch from torque. Get someone to toss it if you can for your first couple flights.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Dec 22, 2006, 05:26 PM
Finished builing and installing stuff, maiden tomorrow.

Easy to add thrust changes with a couple of washers or so between motor plate and airframe mount. Only weighs 10.5 oz ready to go and with the 7X3.5 prop giving 22,5 oz of thrust and it should go well (want to keep amps lower for batteries sake). I can always up the prop with my 20C battiries if i need more speed.

Pictures below of motor mount and my extra doublers top and bottom for strentgh around battery slot.

Del
Dec 22, 2006, 06:03 PM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhildy
Hey toast a euro would be sweet!

Lets see if the power of suggestion holds true.

Functional canards? hehe; kind of would cancel the simple part but would make for some awesome manuvers for very cheap airframe.
In progress now:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614540
Dec 22, 2006, 07:06 PM
Addicted to WOT
Toast....excelent!!

I am cutting out and assembling the F14 tonight!
Dec 23, 2006, 03:39 PM
Maiden went well, one click of right trim was all it needed. Seemed to be nose heavy though, was dropping nose right way up and inverted.

Took some of the trim lead off the front, after a couple of attempts got it just right, CofG is now 8.5 inches from tip of nose, not sure why it should be further back than your prototype, it flies great though so no problem.

I did make the elevon surfaces slightly larger maybe that has caused the CofG difference.

Using the 7X3.5 it does not seem to torque to the left on launch, just hold it vertical, open to 3/4 throttle and let it go, straight up.

Makes a nice howl on low level passes, did 4 flights today, more tomorrow as long as calm period holds out and the fog does not move in. May have to get my brother to video it a bit.

Thanks again for the plan.

Del
Dec 24, 2006, 12:21 AM
Addicted to WOT
And it begins!!

This one is a gift for my dad ... the next is my balistic missle!!!
Dec 25, 2006, 05:05 PM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Dredd, glad you had a sucessful maiden! Interesting notes about the CG. I still get quite a bit of torque on launch, might be related to the motor type. BTW, good work on the electronics installation. How did you find the down-thrust to work out?

Lilhildy, can't wait to see the painted and primmed. I almost always cut two at the same time, a proto with no paint or orientation markings, and it's replacement after I really get to know the flight characteristics. Partially because I am relatively a new flyer and still somewhat prone to, ahem, 'test anomalies'-ie crashes.

Just to be clear, this isnt really a slow flying park plane by design. It chews up sky in the config I'm using and really pushes the edge of what could be defined as park flying. So be cautious where you fly, alright folks?

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Last edited by ToxicToast; Dec 25, 2006 at 05:32 PM.
Dec 25, 2006, 06:50 PM
Down thrust was no problem after you and GPW mentioned it would need a little, I just put a couple of small washers on the two lower screws, between motor plate and mount, worked a treat.

Running with a 6X4 prop now, goes a bit faster now, lol.

Will try to get some Vid tomorrow.

Del
Dec 25, 2006, 10:27 PM
I cut and glued mine out today, paint hopefully tomorrow. Question: I noticed you used carbon fiber reinforcement. Do you think it really needs that? It feels nice and stiff right now without the cf, I'm thinking of trying it as is.

Thanks for the great plan. Loved the interlocking notches, those were a nice touch. It went together easy, I almost wonder if it would have flown un-glued, everything locked together so nice. I hope I can do a paint job to do it justice.
Dec 26, 2006, 07:46 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
None of mine use any CF or bracing .... such a short span , wide chord...saves weight ...AUW of my 20" =6.5 oz.wo/batt...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 28, 2006, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
None of mine use any CF or bracing .... such a short span , wide chord...saves weight ...AUW of my 20" =6.5 oz.wo/batt...
Thanks for the answer GPW! Paint tomorrow hopefully, maybe maiden Friday if the weather is good.
Dec 28, 2006, 08:31 AM

Bluecor

Newbie here looking to build his first F-14 and then follow with the upcoming Eurofighter.
My question is can Bluecor fanfold be used. If so, should the pieces be cut out in a certain direction for strenth. Just trying to use what I got and I'm ready to get going on this one.
Thanks
ScottSuff
Dec 28, 2006, 09:32 AM
If you look at the pics of Toxics Prototype from BlueCor the waves are running front to back as it were. ie the humps and troughs are horizontal across the plane parts. May need to check gaps of cutouts as Bluecor is nominally 5.5 mm compared to 6mm for Depron.

Del
Dec 28, 2006, 12:37 PM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Actually, since BC and Depron are so close, if you cut BC it should fit perfectly. Depron cuts might need a tiny bit of sanding to fit cleanly. I guess it also depends on the accuracy of the cuts.

I've not found much difference other than cosmetic in which way the waves go in the BlueCor. I thought from an aerofoil consistency, the waves going laterally across the surface would provide some hint of an airflow eddy on the top surface but since it is mostly flat plate with some rounding, it wont make a difference at these speeds anyway. We're not exactly talking a low drag airframe with any flat planes.

Quick Reply