Dec 11, 2006, 03:34 PM
Phlathead
Thread OP

Show me the video!

OK, video is now online here.

I know the video is not the best, I had to really go in and rotoscope (hand track) the video in an effects program. Try not to barf when the camera operator hunts the sky! Thanks Binkley!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2006, 07:55 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Chris,

Good work, and nice flying in your video!

I may need to learn how to build with foam! :-)

Kevin
Dec 18, 2006, 01:24 PM
Addicted to WOT
Excelent display! I am liking the new profile. Think its time for me to join the ranks of the F-14 pilots. Plans printed.
Dec 19, 2006, 02:50 PM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Good luck on your maiden! I've now about 20 or so flights on my prototype and working on a 'dolled-up' version in Depron. If you reinforce a few areas, focus on these:

The motor mount is small and the motor exerts some stress on that point. Use plenty of epoxy. No CA there. Also, I'd highly recommend that you cut a smallish square piece of foam that is larger than the stick mount by several times and glue this onto the underside where the stick goes. Check the photos above around the motor mounting.

Also, I'm swapping out batteries like crazy on this (all TP1320 Prolites) and it has put some stress on the foam cut-out. In the newer depron version, I plan to double up the deck of the nose/fuse part on the underside with another cut. This will also help balance the plane a little better without any extra weight on the front.

If you need to balance with a bit more nose weight, I used a shim of brass that comes in around 8grams and it made the CG perfect.
Dec 19, 2006, 02:56 PM
Phlathead
Thread OP
AUW is 11.1oz, and with this much wing surface, loading is low and that is why it is capable of some good slow high alpha pretty easily.

You will love this plane! Even with a cheap BP2409-12 motor, it rocks. I've got several people at the field I go to that are eager to get one and comments are quite positive from the more experienced flyers. Its incredibly fun and fast as &$#@!

Sunday we had 4 strykers in the air and my little '14 flying around them. Of course, the Strykers far out class the 14 in terms of weight, speed, and agility but it was cool as hell flying up there with all the near misses. One touch of a stryker and I'm sure all you'll see is bits of blue foam and raining electronics but it was insanely fun. Glad to get it back in one piece, however!
Dec 19, 2006, 04:54 PM
Addicted to WOT
I actually have a perfect motor mount that I have been using with my overpowered BlueAlbacorde with no problems and also on my alleycat. The motor i run is severely torque happy also. Its made out of half a plunger from a large syringe cut in half; flat plate to mount to and then large X almost 3in long to insert into the cross of the foam and epoxy in. Damn near permanent! Also wrapping up another motor just like the on my BA for this. I may add some glass to it to reinforce around the battery area or maybe a shaped semi fuse and enclose the battery. Time will tell though. Its time to play!
Dec 19, 2006, 05:29 PM

F14

WOW, this jet is fantastic! Just came in from the maiden and my knees are still wobbly. Super smooth and fast when you want it to be.
I'm running a bp21, 1500 3s lipo. Nice, thanks for the plans.
Dec 20, 2006, 02:23 PM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhildy
Damn near permanent! Also wrapping up another motor just like the on my BA for this. I may add some glass to it to reinforce around the battery area or maybe a shaped semi fuse and enclose the battery. Time will tell though. Its time to play!

Pix Please!!! Seriously, it sounds like a pretty good idea and I think I can almost fully visualize the mount. Love to see some close ups. Got a flight report on a 14 yet?

Chris.
Dec 20, 2006, 02:26 PM
Phlathead
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figure9
WOW, this jet is fantastic! Just came in from the maiden and my knees are still wobbly. Super smooth and fast when you want it to be.
I'm running a bp21, 1500 3s lipo. Nice, thanks for the plans.
Glad you like it! Now swap the 21 out for a 12 and get ~30-40% improvement in performance. Feeding it a 15-20C battery?

Love to see some photos of the setup, I may have a chance to do a few more profiles in ths style over the holidays. Any suggestions? A Eurofighter or a Kfir/Mirage would make a good conversion and is almost sure to fly in a similar way.
Dec 20, 2006, 09:47 PM
Addicted to WOT
Hey toast a euro would be sweet!

Lets see if the power of suggestion holds true.

Functional canards? hehe; kind of would cancel the simple part but would make for some awesome manuvers for very cheap airframe.
Last edited by lilhildy; Dec 20, 2006 at 09:56 PM.
Dec 21, 2006, 06:55 AM
Hi Chris, got mine cut out ready to put together, got a Tower Pro 2409-12 wanting a home and this is a start.

Did you use any down or right thrust on the motor and are you using any relfex on the elevons.

Will post some pics when done, probably later today.

Mines out of Dark Grey Depron, wont bother with paint, just a couple of flashes with tape to give some orientation.

Del
Dec 21, 2006, 04:46 PM
Airframe is built apart from motor mount, that wont take long from 3 bits of ply, (bulkhead and a triangular section each side) will cut slots for triangle section in wing to increase strength.

Bare airframe weighs 3oz at the moment, this is going to shift like Sh** off a shovel.

Two pics below, top and bottom,

Del
Dec 22, 2006, 05:15 AM
Any info

Del
Dec 22, 2006, 08:26 AM
IWC
IWC
excellent flying skills. Thanks for posting the vid. You got a winner there.
Dec 22, 2006, 08:43 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Del , you might need a slight amount of downthrust (motor UP in the rear) .. made for better power transitions in our ...Can't speak for Toast's design , but worked for us ...
No elevon reflex needed at the proper CG setting ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans

Quick Reply