Dec 24, 2013, 02:51 PM
So I've been tinkering and trying learn to fly this better. I finally broke the tail from age and wear and replaced it with the yellow version. Since then, it hasn't flown right. Fully charged battery and holds altitude for only a minute and goes down. Voltage check shows 4.01 after two minutes. So that seems right to me. I tried this heli just now and hovered at full throttle at a foot off the ground. Never more and only less. I popped a small 3s in it and it jumped and flew well. To be expected. Stock battery has never been abused or LVC.

Any insight? Motors are new stock versions. Esc/gyro are stock. Everything is as it came except the tail. This is where my problems arose.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2013, 12:24 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Hi Jim, It sounds to me like your battery is shot. The voltage dropping down to 4.01 after two minutes? Not good. It is sluggish and can barely hold a hover? But, when you change to another batt,,..all's well. Does the batt feel spongy, or looks puffed? Does it get warm as you charge it OR when it comes off the charger?

Mike.
Dec 25, 2013, 01:23 AM
Battery is not puffed. Charging seems normal. Always balance charged around 1a. Can't find anything unusual. I tore it down today and rebuilt it....
Dec 25, 2013, 07:12 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim
Battery is not puffed. Charging seems normal. Always balance charged around 1a. Can't find anything unusual. I tore it down today and rebuilt it....
I had that once with an mCX - flew it one day, and the next time I tried it would not lift anymore (I didnt even really crash that). I never figured out what it really was (is) that made it no longer lift, but I believe it probably has something to do with my 5in1. So maybe this is the case for you as well

Good luck with finding it out though
Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...
Dec 25, 2013, 11:39 AM
Yea.... got me stumped. Oh well. This is why I do planes
Dec 26, 2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
I've had batteries act similarly for no apparent reason. Since a new battery worked fine for me I can only attribute the problem to something not being right with the battery for whatever reason. The wires or the connector can be faulty as well.
Dec 27, 2013, 12:40 AM
Good point on the wires. Seems to be a problem for me this year with many of my batteries
Dec 27, 2013, 09:46 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Good point on the wires. Seems to be a problem for me this year with many of my batteries
Jim, the only other thing I can think of is the motors need to be replaced. This way you'll know the motors and motor wires are good. How old are the motors?

Mike.
Dec 27, 2013, 11:54 AM
Fairly new. I don't use it much either.

Edit: fresh balance charge gives me 4.1x2. Maybe battery is on its way...
Last edited by JDMJim; Dec 28, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
Dec 28, 2013, 02:38 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Fairly new. I don't use it much either.

Edit: fresh balance charge gives me 4.1x2. Maybe battery is on its way...
A freshly charged 2S batt should read 8.40= 4.20 per cell. Looking at the number you give I would say the full charge on that batt is around 8.2v. Unacceptable.

Sometimes (if you have a smart charger) you can try to exercise it to bring it back to life. Bring it down to storage voltage one day then bring it back to top voltage. Repeat! I have actually done this with one of my OEM Esky batts. In fact, I still have it and fly it on occasion and it's five years old.

Mike.
Dec 28, 2013, 08:20 PM
Good advice. I will try it
Mar 26, 2014, 07:33 PM
Holy crap, Batman, it's sure been a while. Anybody out there?
Mar 26, 2014, 08:26 PM
Hey Jack,

I saw you sold your Mustang. Sorry it didn't work out. You might try the T28 micro. It's a lot easier to fly. Not nearly as squirrely as the Mustang.

I've just started going though my planes and helis making repairs. I was thinking today I need to pull my CX2s out and get them fixed up. I'll have to take them to the warehouse where I work to test them. It's probably been a year since I fooled with them. I don't remember exactly what issues they had.

Rob
Mar 26, 2014, 08:43 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
I went to an indoor fun-fly a few weeks ago and saw a stock CX2 and an original CX3 buzzing around. They were nice and loud compared to the swarm of NanoQXs that all the kids were flying...
Mar 27, 2014, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgau
Hey Jack,

I saw you sold your Mustang. Sorry it didn't work out. You might try the T28 micro. It's a lot easier to fly. Not nearly as squirrely as the Mustang.

I've just started going though my planes and helis making repairs. I was thinking today I need to pull my CX2s out and get them fixed up. I'll have to take them to the warehouse where I work to test them. It's probably been a year since I fooled with them. I don't remember exactly what issues they had.

Rob
It's still for sale. I had an offer to swap it for a T28, but am waiting on a decision by the first guy who wanted to buy it. I guess I should have gone with the T28 as an intermediate step, but hey, we can fly anything, right?

Quick Reply