Oct 20, 2011, 05:08 AM
This is your brand new 4-in-1 you waited for, right? You're posting this in the wrong thread, but, hey, old guys are allowed to do this once in a while!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2011, 05:52 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Thanks for all the advise Guys. TX I'm using: HP6DSM. RX: 1024. In which I was very close to having her trimmed before the 20 foot drop onto hot top. When I first power up, I get the orange and green light. Green light will flick 5 times and remain solid as the same with the orange. I just spooled it up (got the ok) and it spun violently (i could have sworn CW). It did this twice at about 30% throttle. I decided to do a re-bind using the plug of course. On the next spool up (power up ok) at about better than 30%+ (light on skids)...everything was starting to look ok and then she went violently CCW (for sure). I picked her up and the lights flashed and after the 5 green flashes, green stayed solid as did the orange. THEN, she proceeded to do her chicken dance..not once but twice. Believe me, it's not easy for me to bend over and with two hands to disconnect the battery #@*^&%$#&%$#@

Mike.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I did hold her in my hand and spun her up. I didn't cut out but I could feel her twitch every so often. About 3 times on a one minute spin up (approx.).

EDIT: I spun it up two more times after another attempt of re-binding with the plug. Twice it spun CW wildly. I spooled it up slowly and noted some twitching just before it went nuts. After,.. the orange light when out and then there was a flashing of red then green, then back to orange...it twitched some during this time.

EDIT:Found something interesting inside the 4in1. A small metal piece is floating around. It almost looks like some sort of cover. I don't see any wire leads or connectors of any kind. The size (as best as I could take them) is: 10.50mm long X 4.46mm wide X 1.12mm thick. As I said, it looks more like a cover to something on the inside of the 4in1.

Well, do you Guys think it's time for surgery or is this unit toast? Can it be saved? Anybody ever have one of these open before and know what this metal piece could possibly be? If someone knows what this piece is and it is hopeless...break it to me gently

EDIT: EDIT:The more I think of it..."what do I have to lose"??? Surgery it is. Any and all tips appreciated. WOW, these screws are on there tight. I have the unit off and it is definitely some sort of metal cover and I think I can see where it goes. Not sure if it's really needed. Gotta back these screws off. If I can't back off these screws, I'm thinking of making a hole/slot (w/dremel) to extract that piece of metal. This could be "shorting" out the works.

I'll be doing an "edit" here as I go along.

Thanks again Guys,
Mike.
From the size you describe it, it sounds like the "cover" for the gyro. I dont really have an idea how much this affects how the gyro works, but I would say they cover the gyro for a reason.

Anyway, hopefully someone else can help you more (maybe you're lucky and OlliW or Barak read this ...)
Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...
Oct 20, 2011, 08:50 AM
"whirlydude"
Mike, I would contact the place that sent you the 4 in 1 unit, and tell them the unit is not working correctly. Tell them there is something loose inside, and the helicopter spins wildly sometimes cw, and sometimes ccw. It could be the gyro as E2 mentioned, or the mixer is bad, but a new unit should not have these problems.
Oct 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
This is your brand new 4-in-1 you waited for, right? You're posting this in the wrong thread, but, hey, old guys are allowed to do this once in a while!
You are the old Guy Jack. Ha, ha...you are not paying attention. This 4in1 unit is for a CX2 (EFLH1024). I think they call it "EFlight"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
Mike, I would contact the place that sent you the 4 in 1 unit, and tell them the unit is not working correctly. Tell them there is something loose inside, and the helicopter spins wildly sometimes cw, and sometimes ccw. It could be the gyro as E2 mentioned, or the mixer is bad, but a new unit should not have these problems.
Well, as I said there is not a scratch on it to indicate a crash from about 20 feet up. So, I just tell them I've been having a problem from the git-go? Maybe you are right. Maybe this cover shouldn't have popped off so easily. First I'd like to know if this cover is useless.

Mike.
Oct 20, 2011, 09:42 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
That metal cover may possibly act as a ground for the gyro circuit. Like Erd said, they prolly didn't just put it on there for nothin. It was flying fine? Then a 20' drop? And now you have a floating metal piece? See if you can open it up, and re-install the cover. Lee
Oct 20, 2011, 10:21 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Metal covers are for radio interference protection. I have never seen a gyro without a metal cover so it is a must. Replace the cover carefully and put a couple of drops of glue along the edged to hold it.
Oct 20, 2011, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
You are the old Guy Jack. Ha, ha...you are not paying attention. This 4in1 unit is for a CX2 (EFLH1024). I think they call it "EFlight"
Mike.
Does this post in the Lama 4 thread ring a bell?:
__________________________________________________ __________________
Is this the 4in1 you are referring too?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1024

If it is, it does seem logical. Servos and motors need to be plugged into it.

Hey, it's tough trying to climb out of this 72mhz thing

Mike.
__________________________________________________ ____________________
The date was October 6, and I know it's hard for you to remember what day and what thread you post things in , but that's OK.
Last edited by kodak_jack; Oct 20, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Oct 20, 2011, 06:10 PM
Resident Skeptican
Returning the 4in1 after a crash and claiming that it was that way when you received it is the WRONG thing to do. You damaged the part, it sucks that it's not working properly, but it wasn't damaged when you received it so returning it would be fraud.

As far as things go it sounds to me like one of your brushes is rattling around inside one of your motors and it's causing it to draw way too many amps. I'd test it out with a new set of motors before I assumed the 4in1 is bad.

Edit:

Forgot to add that considering Horizon Hobby's warranty, I would call them up and tell them what happened. They might send you a new unit for free, you never can tell.
Oct 20, 2011, 10:15 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
Returning the 4in1 after a crash and claiming that it was that way when you received it is the WRONG thing to do. You damaged the part, it sucks that it's not working properly, but it wasn't damaged when you received it so returning it would be fraud.

As far as things go it sounds to me like one of your brushes is rattling around inside one of your motors and it's causing it to draw way too many amps. I'd test it out with a new set of motors before I assumed the 4in1 is bad.

Edit:

Forgot to add that considering Horizon Hobby's warranty, I would call them up and tell them what happened. They might send you a new unit for free, you never can tell.
T, you got it right in the first sentence. The last thing I want to do is stiff a hard working man/women. It's pilot error, plain and simple. I have no intentions of taking a meal off anyone's table. Not my style. That said.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Metal covers are for radio interference protection. I have never seen a gyro without a metal cover so it is a must. Replace the cover carefully and put a couple of drops of glue along the edged to hold it.
That said.....I started the surgical procedure. Durk, Lee, Everyone, thank you for what I was thinking. This "seems to be the cover to the gyro"...I wish I could get some close up pics. But, I have no doubt this cover needs to be CA'd back in place as per Durk's suggestion. The 4 screws holding the two halves together are a real PITA to back off. I'm attacking it from the back. I drilled/pierced holes from the back of the 4in1 to reach the very end of that l-o-n-g screw that hold the two halves together. Why? To drop some Break Free CLP into the tiny holes hoping to loosen the grip. Gonna fashion a new screwdriver to fit the heads perfectly. Thanks for your help and suggestions Guys. Keep'em coming

Mike.
Oct 22, 2011, 06:19 AM
Hey guys, firstly I apologise if this is in the wrong thread or if a similar question has already been answered elsewhere but I wasn't sure where I should ask the following question.

I have a CX2 and a Twister Hawk (basically the same heli) and both have developed the same problem - they won't develop any lift!

I have made sure the batteries are fully charge and I have checked out anything else that I can think of but haven't found the problem.

I can give them full throttle but the rotors don't seem to be reaching their full speed and there is consequently not enough thrust developed to elevate either of the helicopters - they are basically fancy fans!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Oct 22, 2011, 08:24 AM
Now I learn the weak spots of this heli. I sheared off the pegs that center the lower blades on the shaft just cruising around the yard last night.
Oct 22, 2011, 08:39 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Now I learn the weak spots of this heli. I sheared off the pegs that center the lower blades on the shaft just cruising around the yard last night.
My guess is you are talking about blade holder pins ... just what I dont get is how the can "shear off" by just cruising around.

What type of lower rotor head are you using?
Could you post a picture of the sheared off stuff (well, actually how the rotor head looks now probably ...)
Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...
Oct 22, 2011, 09:10 AM
"whirlydude"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLegless View Post
Hey guys, firstly I apologise if this is in the wrong thread or if a similar question has already been answered elsewhere but I wasn't sure where I should ask the following question.

I have a CX2 and a Twister Hawk (basically the same heli) and both have developed the same problem - they won't develop any lift!

I have made sure the batteries are fully charge and I have checked out anything else that I can think of but haven't found the problem.

I can give them full throttle but the rotors don't seem to be reaching their full speed and there is consequently not enough thrust developed to elevate either of the helicopters - they are basically fancy fans!

Thanks.
I had a speed controller go bad many years ago in a 72MHz 4 in 1 unit. I couldn't get any lift either, so I installed a new 4 in 1, and it took off flying like new. I don't know if excessive heat caused it to go bad or what, but there was not enough power going to the motors to lift off.
Oct 22, 2011, 11:47 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLegless View Post

Thanks.
The batteries MAY seem fully charged BUT:

Do you stop flying as soon as the batteries show signs of running down? As soon as you need more throttle to keep the helicopter in the air you must shut down and charge the battery. If you keep flying them untill they no longer lift off then it is too late and the batteries are toast.

How old are these two helis and do you have a new unused battery you can try in them?
Oct 22, 2011, 06:57 PM
What Rx are you running with your two helis? The DX6i has had known issues with throttle control with the older 4in1's.

Quick Reply