Sep 09, 2002, 12:56 PM
Thread OP

My MM C180 (yes, another one)

Here is my new MM 180. I can already tell that I will have to buy each and every kit they make.

I was a bit impatient building it. I am too excited about flying it. As a result I'm not ovelry happy with my work.

I plan to buy another one and take my time and add additional scale details, including flaps and ailerons.

A couple of things I did different: I used aluminum tube and wire to mount the wing struts. I knew if I glued them as specified in the plans I would end up breaking them off. Also I used tape to attach the gear struts.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2002, 02:39 PM
Great ideas! Your 180 looks good too.

I am still working on my MM 180. Some day soon it will be ready to show also.

Palmettoflyer
Sep 09, 2002, 03:55 PM
Under tension
Nice job. I really like what you did with the wing struts. The original system works alright but I broke one of mine off before I even flew it.

Has anyoune notice that for a month we've seen no new 180's and all of a sudden there's been this massive barrage of finished models?
Sep 09, 2002, 04:09 PM
Thread OP
I originally got the idea for the struts from the 60" Dare Stinson Voyager I built. They work quite well with the voyager so I decided to try them on the 180.

The only issue I see is that there needs to be some amount of friction, or something else, to hold the struts in place. The Voyager had struts in a V formation so it wasn't an issue.
Sep 10, 2002, 02:37 AM
Looks great... ! I also like your idea for the struts, no you have me thinking. My struts are still in the sheet that they are cut from, I'll get to them someday... .

Bob
Sep 10, 2002, 10:02 AM
Leave me alone!
Good thinking on the struts, and a good looking Cessna! Big fowler flaps do have a great appeal, don't they? Keep us posted if/when you do that!

Martin
Sep 10, 2002, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
If you add the aluminum tubes before you cover you can reinforce them buy sewing.

On the Stinson I used a sewing needle and thread to sew the tube to the balsa. Just a few loops through the balsa and over the tube, then a drop of CA. This provides a substantial amount of strength.

BTW, thanks for the complements.

I'm going to be more patient next time, no really I am. I want a better color scheme and some tricked out flaps and ailerons. Mine came out at 7.9oz AUW so I can afford a bit more weight.

Quick Reply