Dec 19, 2006, 03:12 PM
smug in granny panties
just for kicks this is the part im working on. kept it simple with just 4 stators. I molded the fronts of the stators in the motor mount but have left the backs off so that I can adjust twist if needed, wires should be able to pass through them too. With this plug it should allow me to lay up the middle spider part and the housing in one shot. So far mating surfaces are smooth, just have to spin it up on the lathe for true and for proper final size. I am still hoping i can do it in a conventional fan (puller) layout, but we'll see.

Barry
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2006, 03:51 PM
My Hacker motor is on its way, and I still dont have a way to mount it yet. I was eyeballing bob's mount, but I havn't gotten any news on it. Are there any alternatives?
Dec 19, 2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks SkyHawk

That will save me alot of work since I won't have to cut the Hump off and redo the top of the fuse..

NICE WORK BARRY

Are you making your Shroud/motor mount based on the Hacker motor or something else??

Will it be similar to a "normal" EDF shroud with mounting lugs or like the Kyosho with a mounting ring?...I like the ring better as it helps the shroud keep its shape.

I guess this one is to be used with intake and exhaust ducting as well?

I know that I'll have to have a cheater hole for this fan set up to breath, but I'd rather have blow in doors at the sides to minimize the drag at higher speeds. I have been re-reading my "Ducter Fans for Jet Models" that I bought EON'S ago. Good info and they actually say that the cheater holes are more drag than they are worth...but I guess we do need the oommpphhh for take off..

Lots of fun to be had in the future with these "OLDER" kits

EDF Express

whom did you buy your Hacker from?? Good price??
Dec 19, 2006, 04:31 PM
dare to be dull

cheater holes

My own idea for a cheater hole would be the nose gear opening. I believe there have been some designs meant to use that area for aux air. Once you are up & running, the gear retracts and LG door closes - if you have one. No more cheater hole.

On a related note, you could use the gear channel to control a function that opens an independent aux door with a separate servo or a pneumatic cylinder in the gear system. Sort of a controlled "blow-in" door. FWIW
Dec 19, 2006, 04:39 PM
smug in granny panties
the point was to make something that the motor can be mounted on either side, that way i can try several type motors, and yeah ply ring to help the cf shroud hold shape. And I'm trying to keep it short on the rotor side so that pending on install I can easily run a cnc'd ring, or just ducting. although the first plane its going into for me is the TG Mig, so i think i'll try ducting.

Barry
Dec 19, 2006, 06:40 PM
Nice stuff Barry!!

I like yur Thinking BigJohn!!

SkyHawk...how far back does the fan unit mount??
Dec 20, 2006, 12:11 AM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
Guys I'll check with Hacker USA. They are getting the mount made for me. I'm out of townuntil the 1st and only have access to dial up late on evenings. The mounts are being made. I promise.
Bob
Dec 20, 2006, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruce
EDF Express

whom did you buy your Hacker from?? Good price??
I bought from espritmodel.com

Dec 20, 2006, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
Guys I'll check with Hacker USA. They are getting the mount made for me. I'm out of townuntil the 1st and only have access to dial up late on evenings. The mounts are being made. I promise.
Bob
Bob, thanks for the update. I am super-excited about this project!
Dec 22, 2006, 07:15 PM
I just got an email from Iron Bay regarding ordering just the fan and the housing. He said it would be cheaper to order the whole fan unit. Has to do with volume and packaging etc...
Dec 26, 2006, 03:17 AM
Talk about Christmas presents...I got a Yellow F-4,going to look at a Yellow F-16 ARTF, and I may get the Skyhawk as well!!!

I need to sell off some of my Prop. NIB kits..no room at the Inn You Jet guys looking for any Prop jobs..First dibbs to you guys before I put them up for sale....PM me

I bought an old ByroJet fan unit and will receive it in the new year!! That search is finally over.. Looking forward to more info in the new Year about the Motor mount!

Bruce
Dec 26, 2006, 05:44 AM
smug in granny panties
hopefully i'll have this tomorrow! ended up with 3 layers of Cf inside for the spider that was also backed up with tow going around the edge into the outer housing. I set a 5 /16ths dowl so the tow could go across the span but was built up around the center hole, otherwise if I spanned it then when drilled it would go right into the intersections of tow, this way it wraps around and reinforces the output shaft hole. I then wrapped it all around the outside and clamped it in with the 2 layers around the outside that acts as the housing.

Barry
Dec 26, 2006, 09:07 AM
Dave Appleton
Hey Barry

Always knew it would look funkier than mine! Nice job as always! Have a great new year, changed PC's so should be no prob on yahoo now...touch wood!

cheers

Dave
Dec 26, 2006, 08:56 PM
smug in granny panties
yeah but wait till you see it in a dress and high heels! lol

Barry
Dec 26, 2006, 09:07 PM
Swat Team Member

Byron fan speed...

Ed Said,"The byrons had a hard time looping from what I saw, flopped over the top but I only flew one for one lap and the motor quit! Speed I don't know, 120 max and that's probably a stretch, more like 100 but I've no solid numbers."
A Byron F-16 would only do 120m.p.h. being towed by a BVM Bandit with A JetCat P120 turbine pulling it at 200m.p.h then releasing it in a dive with a stiff tailwind... That fan was a pusher and not a tractor you would be lucky to hit 85m.p.h. It would be a perfect fan for a large A-10 though...

P. Richards aka Swat Team

Quick Reply