Dec 15, 2006, 01:53 PM
A-4 nut!!
Finally!

I knew I was keeping that Byron A-4 around for a reason!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2006, 02:36 PM
smug in granny panties
keep in mind these things used to be so dirty inside they would have not much more than a general air director behind the fan like a dog collar, and they still flew? Lot of the ones I did the plans actually called for you to throw away the shroud and mount the motor to a ply plate with a cutout for the motor to set in, then you counter shaped the ply plate and it acted as a pre-stator, and you then just wrapped ducting close to the rotor that was basically hanging out in the wind. Cant imagine how much thrust is lost with all that swirl. I still plan to try and fab something up on the cnc to swap it around to a more conventional layout for ducting and just to be able to push some weight back a bit.

Barry
Dec 15, 2006, 02:53 PM
Leaving the inlet lip on, that's one point I was trying to make in my post. The smaller inlet tube would fit into it as bigjohn says so not all the lip would see air.

Perhaps these big jets get enough of a performance boost from being electric that they don't need any more speed, I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I remember nagging one guy with an F-16 over and over to loop it, when he finally did it barely made it over the top, I think I can I think I can!
Dec 15, 2006, 03:28 PM
smug in granny panties
yeah to leave it on it wouldnt be that hard to vasoline the lip, put a tube the right size of just inside, then run your finger around it with some cabosil, or ballons and epoxy to make a seat.

Barry
Dec 15, 2006, 10:10 PM
Did the Byrons use a tail pipe? Mine does not have one anymore if they did. If so, would heavy mylar, wraped into a tube work for this size fan? and what size should the outlet be?

Sean
Dec 15, 2006, 10:15 PM
Also is the "hurricane" fan any improvement?
Dec 15, 2006, 10:32 PM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
Have not tried it on electric. I blew up a couple of OS 91's using the Hurricane rotor vs Byron rotor.
Bob
Dec 15, 2006, 10:34 PM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
Yes they used a tail pipe. It was rolled lexan I think. Just use drafting mylar or something along those lines.
Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sweeney
Did the Byrons use a tail pipe? Mine does not have one anymore if they did. If so, would heavy mylar, wraped into a tube work for this size fan? and what size should the outlet be?

Sean
Dec 16, 2006, 12:13 AM
Hi ALL

I looked at my Giant Jets F-16 and I think that this will be perfect for the Byron Fan unit, As long as I can keep it lightweight...I've got some great Ideas for making all of the flight surfaces very light but strong.

What kind of thrust/weight did the Byrons F-16 have...for that matter what size was their F-16.

Bruce
Dec 16, 2006, 01:30 AM
Good luck trying to find a hurricane" fan! I looked for one for my f18 and could not find one. The f 16 has a 47" wing span and 74.5 length. The f 18 is 57"ws 84" length a real brick! I am still waiting for the day I see a 5" electric fan. I was going to use 2 fully ducted Dynamax fans. Maybe the JHI Electric Turbax. Sorry I donít mean to get of topic. I find this thread fascinating!!
Dec 16, 2006, 10:06 AM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
There are two hurricane rotors on Ebay right now.
Bob
Dec 16, 2006, 12:49 PM
Byron F-16 off the top of my head is 74 inches long, I could be off a few inches.

Giant depron F-16, cool.

The byrons had a hard time looping from what I saw, flopped over the top but I only flew one for one lap and the motor quit! Speed I don't know, 120 max and that's probably a stretch, more like 100 but I've no solid numbers.
Dec 16, 2006, 02:26 PM
The W/S on the Giant Jets F-16 is 60" and is 90" long. :O

I'm not sure that this can be made at the weights I want without a few Sacrifices...like Retracts... That would be one Hell of a bungee launch!!
Dec 19, 2006, 11:30 AM
Hi Bob

Any news on the mount for this conversion?? is it just a spacer with mounting holes for the motor and shroud?

I am looking at a Byron fan and Skyhawk to start. Giant Jets F-16 will have to wait I want to get FLYING

Hey Skyhawk

You have a Skyhawk! ...is the Avionics hump molded into the fuselage, or is it a separate piece? I want to do a Top Gun scheme, which uses a stripped down,Hot rodded Scooter without the Hump.

Iron Bay website says that the AUW of the glow version is around 10lbs...it will be interesting to see the weight difference with the conversion.

Bruce
Dec 19, 2006, 02:03 PM
A-4 nut!!
Gbruce,
The hump is a seperately molded piece - Vacuformed plastic.

Quick Reply