Dec 05, 2006, 12:14 PM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
Discussion

Byron glow fan conversion

Here is how to convert a glow Byron 6" fan to electric use. First you will need the Byron fan, electric motor mount, 6 mm shaft adapter and fan.
Locate and insert the adapter mount in the fan center section. The wire cutout needs to be centered between stators. Now centered between the stators and 1.2 " from the rear edge of the mount drill a hole for a 6-32 tap. This hole will go thru the shroud and into the center body. Make sure the hole is 1.2 from the aft edge of the center body. Drill into it until you start to see metal chips. Stop and repeat three more times. Remove the motor mount and finish drill and tap (6-32)the 4 holes in the mount. At the one section of the center body where there is on mounting hole cut a 1/2 " wide slot 1/2' deep. This is to allow the motor wires to exit the center body. Test fit to make the wire slot is deep enough. Open the holes in the center body to allow the 6-32 allen bolt to fit loosely in the hole. Slide the mount into the center section and align the holes. Install the 6-32 allen head bolt in the 4 threaded holes. Now install the A50 -14S motor align the mounting holes and the air vent holes. Install the four screws. the wires should easily fit through the slot.
Be careful not the damage them. To install the rotor lay to stir sticks down and install the rotor. Tighten the bolt. Remove the sticks after the nut is tight. You now have a Electric Byron fan.
After everything to assembled and test fitted. I would disassembly it and put it back together with JB Weld to make it a permanent assembly.
Last edited by bruff; Dec 06, 2006 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2006, 01:05 PM
dare to be dull
Very cool:

Is the "adapter mount" an off-the-shelf item or custom made or ?? Where can we find this?

And which shaft adapter is that?

Thanks
Dec 05, 2006, 01:41 PM
Looks like a standard MPI adapter to me.... not sure about the mount, although I suspect it is now a manufactured piece..
Dec 05, 2006, 03:19 PM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
The mount is being manufactured. The shaft adapter is the standard one you get for Hacker. Let them know this is for EDF due to it's a helicopter motor and does not need one.
Bob
Dec 05, 2006, 03:36 PM
Can I call Hacker and ask for the mount, or do I have to wait?
Dec 05, 2006, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
Now install the A50 -14S motor
Bob - a slip of the pen? Do you mean 14L, or 12S or 16S?

No 14S here: http://www.hackerbrushless.com/motors_a50.shtml

Or is it a "special wind"?

Gordon
Dec 05, 2006, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Bob - a slip of the pen? Do you mean 14L, or 12S or 16S?

No 14S here: http://www.hackerbrushless.com/motors_a50.shtml

Or is it a "special wind"?

Gordon
No this is a new motor, just came out. It is a 14 turn short can, but only has 10 poles as opposed to the others which are 14 pole motors. It was originally designed as a helicopter motor, but we have found another use for it in EDF application...
Dec 05, 2006, 04:26 PM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
I'll let you know about the mount.
Bob
Last edited by bruff; Dec 05, 2006 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Dec 05, 2006, 08:14 PM
HI BOB

Thanks for the R&D on this one!!

I already put a post in the Want ads for a Byron fan unit, I think that you can still get them new from Iron Bay models in WV. 95.00

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/W...onSystems.html

I'm sure I can pick one up used for a little cheaper...any one out there have one or a spare that they are willing to part with?? Otherwise I'll be forced to go to RCU

SO will Hacker be putting together a conversion kit for this fan??

I see that the Byron was originally in a pusher configuration..does this convert it to a puller? Some of the pics are a little unclear...

I am stoked about the possbilities!!!!!!!

Bruce
Dec 05, 2006, 08:33 PM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
Either I will be working with Hacker or they will I'll keep you posted. The mount is at the machine shop for cost estimates. The mounts will be made for sure. Just need to know how much it going to cost to fab. I'll know more in a day or two. You should see if Ironbay would sell just the shroud and rotor. We don't need the glow mount.
Bob
Last edited by bruff; Dec 05, 2006 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Dec 05, 2006, 09:18 PM
smug in granny panties
Thanks for the detaisl Bruff! I'm stoked too Bruce. and not sure about the mount but a rotor from iron bay is about 59 bucks. Soon as work lets up i plan to just make a new dedicated E housing for this setup.

Barry
Dec 05, 2006, 10:09 PM
Do you think this would work with a Dynamax Ducted Fan .
Dec 05, 2006, 10:12 PM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
Sorry, no. Outrunner can't turn the RPM.
Bob
Dec 05, 2006, 11:39 PM
shut up & fly
ork it
Dec 05, 2006, 11:58 PM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
hoser are you talking about the Byron or Dynamax?
Bob

Quick Reply