Dec 05, 2006, 08:40 AM
Discussion

We are so close from losing our only slope in Singapore

When I was on a vacation last week, a short message sent by a fellow modeller almost spoilt my holiday. The authority was threatening to ban R/C flying on our one and only slope in Singapore, where we have been flying for the more than a decade. Luckily and thankfully, the representatives from the governing body has called upon a meeting and demonstration on site, which at least gave us a chance to save it.

We met up today, with a handful of concerned modellers. The reps are concerned about the safety aspect as the park is open to the public as well. We explained to them that powerless flight does not involve a propulsion system that will hurt anybody in case of bodily impact. Some of us brought up our Easygliders and a couple of foam wings to show them how harmless these models are. At the same time, we are also trying sell the idea to them that this very unique kind of seasonal flying can also be a form of tourist attraction.

We also distributed photocopies of an article on R/C slope soaring in Singapore posted on RCM in the 1999, in our attempt to salvage the situation. The article describes the pleasant experiences the author has gone through when he was here for a business trip. This will give them an idea from a tourist point of view in order to increase the awareness of such activity happening here.

A couple of very sedate demonstration flights is our very last effort of the day to save the slope.

At the end of the meeting, the reps are convinced that the activity is safe enough to be continued, but still pending final approval from the higher authorities. At this point, our future of slope soaring and the home for our gliders now lies in thier hands. The only condition is that we have to make sure no one turns up with a electric glider or any kind of powered plane. Let us pray for the best outcome.

Losing a flying site can be painful, but losing the only slope in the country is an agony too much to bear. Let's hope this kind of things doesn't happen at your local slope.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2006, 08:44 AM
This is the issue of the RCM involved. Luckily, I keep every copy of R/C magazines I bought since the day I started this hobby. You'll never know when you'll need it.
Dec 05, 2006, 08:47 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
I feel for you guys! It sounds like the price to continue flying at your one and only site will be eternal vigilance and self policing of your activities. Good luck to you.

Doubletap

Looks like a beautiful site, by the way!
Dec 05, 2006, 08:50 AM
Yes, it's very true. If it is necessary, we have to form some kind of club or association and start policing the place. At the meantime, self-policing is the way to go. At least we are very succesful in stopping people from flying gas planes there to date.
Dec 05, 2006, 09:21 AM
Vitruvian JART
At least your local authorities took the time to get all the info and make a rational decision. Around here I'm afraid someone can raise a stink and it's just easier for the city council to say no than to get the facts.

You've done a great job stating your case. I very much hope it turns out in your favor.
Dec 05, 2006, 09:32 AM
Whatever the outcome, at least I have found some new 'homes' for my Jarts. It'll either be Malaysia's East Coast or Phuket island southern tip. The only problem is that my fleet of bigger glass gliders will be homeless.
Dec 05, 2006, 10:43 AM
Having been in Singapore for a few business trips I understand why
you probably only have a few possible good slopes near any population.

But having a good understanding of how regulated the population of Singapore
is (i.e. near police state) I think you are in trouble.

Good luck.
Dec 05, 2006, 12:45 PM
Suspended Account
Best of luck Joe Yap, we're all pulling for you.

Will
Dec 05, 2006, 12:58 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Buracratic bafoons, but at least they gave you the time to put a case forward thats a step in the right direction , the next step is to definitely form a club have the site registered with your modelling governing body so as your members are covered by limited liability Insurance which will also give those same buracrats a warm fuzzy knowing that they are not liable if some thing happened. Good luck Joe I really hope it works out for the better . Your always welcome a few hours south by plane to fly in Sydney .
SteveW
Dec 05, 2006, 01:49 PM
Semper Fidelis...........
Joe, can you post some pics of the actual flying area your flying your planes in? The background looks pretty sweet, how about a couple shots of the action area?? Thanks, Good Luck, getting flying area's are a pain in the rear,
Doogie
Dec 05, 2006, 05:21 PM
I don't have pictures of the full paranomic view of the slope. But these old pictures do show the beautiful scenery of the slope. I designed and scratchbuilt the B777 years back.
Dec 05, 2006, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Dave
Having been in Singapore for a few business trips I understand why
you probably only have a few possible good slopes near any population.

But having a good understanding of how regulated the population of Singapore
is (i.e. near police state) I think you are in trouble.

Good luck.
On the contrary, our government has been opening up to newer ideas recently. As the matter of fact, the reservoir you see in the pictures was previously banned from recreational fishing and any form of water sports. Since a few years ago, it has been allowed to do catch & release lure fishing, kayaking and even organized water skiing and wake boarding.

I believe the current issue is because of the new management who has just taken over the responsibilities of the park, has very little idea of what slope soaring is about. They were about to put on a signboard saying no model planes flying in the park, but thankfully they met some modellers and called upon a meeting. If the currently government is receptive to our appeal, as what they have been doing recently, I think we'll stand a good chance on preserving the slope.
Dec 05, 2006, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Yap
On the contrary, our government has been opening up to newer ideas recently. As the matter of fact, the reservoir you see in the pictures was previously banned from recreational fishing and any form of water sports. Since a few years ago, it has been allowed to do catch & release lure fishing, kayaking and even organized water skiing and wake boarding.

I believe the current issue is because of the new management who has just taken over the responsibilities of the park, has very little idea of what slope soaring is about. They were about to put on a signboard saying no model planes flying in the park, but thankfully they met some modellers and called upon a meeting. If the currently government is receptive to our appeal, as what they have been doing recently, I think we'll stand a good chance on preserving the slope.
But can you chew gum?

I don't have much then/now experience but I work closely with a design center there (I talk to them every day on the phone and we visit each other frequently for the past 5 years) and what they tell me is scary sometimes.

In addition I have never been to a country (with the possible exception of Germany) that is so "rule" happy.

That being said it is a beautifull country with nice and polite people that work very hard and raise happy kids.

I hope you win your fight....as I lost all the slopes near me 6 months ago...the entire county I live in banned all flying (including kites) in every open space area owned by the county (which of course is every good slope).
Dec 05, 2006, 06:23 PM
PWP!
holymoley. that is amazing - this has got to be powered, right?
Dec 05, 2006, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajroahkni
holymoley. that is amazing - this has got to be powered, right?
Haha! You have been fooled. Look closely and you'll noticed that the engine nacelles are much smaller than scale. They are in fact just hollow ducts with nothing inside. This is a typical PSS design that captures the impression of the full-size powered version. Your statement has just proven that.