Sep 20, 2019, 03:57 PM
Using different materials (like Depron instead of EPP) or different components can end up shifting where you need to put everything to get the correct CG. So you might need to make some tweaks to get it to match the CG form the plans. Shifting the battery is often the easiest. With the Infineon, it is pretty easy to put the battery in one of the compartments in front of the wing or behind it, but it sounds like you need it to be right where the wing is at. A couple of options for you:
- velcro it under the wing. This will be really easy and won't affect the structure. It will make the plane want to self right itself when it is on it's side or upside down. I would probably start with this and just see how it flies first.
- If you don't have landing gear, you could cut a hole from the front compartment to the wing compartment. You would still need to secure the battery to keep it from flopping around.
- Cut a hole between the compartment behind the wing into the wing area. (and you would still need to secure the battery)
- You might be able to relocate the servos further back in the tail, but that will be some work and might not get you enough savings
- you could just add weight to the tail to get it balanced, but that is not the best either. Or the opposite of this: put the battery in the compartment behind the wing and add weight to the nose to get it to balance.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. And post some pictures for us! The Infineon is still one of my favorite designs. I really should build another one!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2019, 04:57 PM
Thank you balesse for your suggestions. Yes it is equipped with a landing gear. Looking closely on the Infineon i3d plan(not Infineon first version) I see that the lipo bay is shown just under the cockpit on the side view. How does one access to this compartment? Should I make an opening between the ailerons servo and the trailing edge of the lower wing (bottom of the fuselage) ? What will be the strength of the whole ...!
Sep 20, 2019, 11:23 PM
I have hatches in front and behind the wing. Both hatches extend half way over the lower wing (my landing gear is removable to allow access above the wing from the front. See attached.
Sep 20, 2019, 11:27 PM
Here are a couple of posts I found where other people cut a hatch into the wing itself.

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...3-84-hatch.jpg
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...eron%20arm.jpg

With the horizontal piece of foam that runs the length of the plane from the center of the motor mount to the tail, there is quit a bit of strength, even if you have some hatches in there.
Note on my previous post how big my hatches are.

If you are worried about strength after you cut the hatch, you can always tape up one of the other hatches and it should add some strength back again.

Hopefully one of these ideas will work out for you!
Mar 06, 2020, 12:40 AM

DTF Mini Infineon

After many delays I am getting close to finishing my DTF Mini Infineon.
Mar 14, 2020, 08:44 PM

DTF Mini Infineon

My DTF Mini Infineon is ready and waiting for its maiden at our next indoor fly-in on the 28th of March.
I may try MPF if this one doesn’t fly well. It came out at 293 grams RTF. To balance it I had to put a 1000mah 2S in the battery bay.
Mar 16, 2020, 05:42 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Well, it looks great. No reason it shouldn’t fly for you. Keep us posted.
Mar 24, 2020, 05:36 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Mini looks good... the smaller they are, the more creative you have to be to get them to balance. I tend to decide servo placement towards the end of the build and try to even things out a bit with the weight you can't leave behind. 8)
Mar 25, 2020, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy
Mini looks good... the smaller they are, the more creative you have to be to get them to balance. I tend to decide servo placement towards the end of the build and try to even things out a bit with the weight you can't leave behind. 8)
If I end up building one out of MPF I am leaning towards installing all the electronics after the airframe is built. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Due to my state being closed up the maiden will no happen on the 28th due to the indoor fly in being canceled. I may have to maiden it outdoors on a calm day to yet be determined.

Quick Reply