Dec 06, 2006, 05:05 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thread OP
I've added a link to 8.5"x11" tiled plans in the first post for any of you guys that need them.

I haven't had chance to print these out yet, so let me know if there are any issues.

Si.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2006, 09:26 PM
Crash & Burn
Thanks, I'm printing them now. I'll let you know if there's any problems.
Dec 06, 2006, 11:04 PM
I love me some Blucore!
any plans for the mono plane in the back of the first pic?????

NFS
Dec 07, 2006, 08:05 AM
Crash & Burn
Hi, no problem with the printing on 8 1/2 x 11. Thanks.

I was thinking of building the plane using depron, since I don't have any EPP. I'm not really concerned with crash survivability, I don't crash all that much anymore. But I am concerned about the weight. I've got one sheet of 3mm depron but plenty of 6mm. If I use the 3mm for the fuselage sides and 6mm for just about everything else, will the plane be too heavy? I mean you guys are building 8.5 oz planes using epp and I'm thinking that depron must be much heavier than epp because most of my depron planes in that size range are coming in between 12-16 oz.
Dec 07, 2006, 08:30 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thread OP
Glad the plans printed okay, and thanks for letting us know.

A depron build should actually come out lighter believe it or not. For starters, you should be able to reduce the amount of carbon. Depron is more rigid than EPP, and doesn't require so much reinforcing. If you look at most of the F3P models, 90%+ of them are built from Depron. I'm sure Flash will elaborate as he has more exprerience of depron builds than myself.

It's not so much our flying skills that make EPP the 'foam of choice' (although we're not that good ), its more to do with the fact that when we fly indoors with lots of planes in the air, mid-airs are inevitable.

Flash has his fair share, as you can see in the vid...In fact I think he chalked up 6 at the last session (sorry Flash ). The difference is that the EPP models ususaly come out of it still flyable, whereas the depron models...well....err...don't.
Dec 07, 2006, 08:58 AM
Crash & Burn
I haven't had any experience in F3P planes, but it looks like the type of flying that I'd enjoy. I've mainly been doing 3D stuff, but the F3P planes look so graceful, I just can't resist the urge to fly one.

OK, so all I need to know is where to put the CF and I should be OK. Most of my 6mm depron planes have a CF spar in the wings and that's about it, do you think I can get away without the spar or maybe only use one spar maybe on the top wing? I'm planning on flying outdoors too, so I may need the extra strength, but I definitely want to keep it light. For some reason, my planes always come out pretty heavy. I probably use to much glue.... Even my small 3mm planes come out heavier than spec, not much, but definitely heavier. I've recalibrated my scale a dozen times, and I still get the same result, so I guess it's just me.

Yes, I noticed the mid-air in the video, so I can understand the need for a plane that will bounce instead of cracking like my depron planes do. I can't say that I've had too many mid-airs, but I fly mainly outdoors, at least until winter sets in, then I move indoors, but there aren't that many fliers up at one time, so it hasn't been a problem (yet).
Dec 07, 2006, 10:50 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thread OP
If using depron you should be fine IMO with a single 0.5mm x 3mm cf spar in each wing. What type of glue are you using for your builds? UHU Creativ (POR for us in Europe) is probably the most commonly used for keeping the weight down (foam safe of course). Using epoxy can add a lot of weight. To be honest, the Infineon could probably be built at about 10oz and still perform well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndforspeed
any plans for the mono plane in the back of the first pic?????

NFS
I think Flash may have some sketches from the mono, but as far as I know the little mono has been shelved and the gear from it is being used in a larger mono (similar to the Infineon but missing a wing) codename : maniac

Si.
Dec 07, 2006, 11:13 AM
Crash & Burn
This may be a dumb question but is the 3mm spar a tube or a flat piece?

I've been mainly using thin or medium foam safe CA for my depron builds, and UHU for the one epp build that I did. I try to stay away from epoxy whenever possible though sometimes I'll use it in the landing gear area.

Can you post the grahics files? I think that the one's you've used look pretty cool.
Dec 07, 2006, 11:34 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thread OP
It's not a dumb question, I was refering to a flat cf strip (0.5mm thick x 3mm wide) inserted into the wing verticaly rather than layed flat. One length in the centre of each wing, tip to tip should be ample.

Sounds like the glue you're using is fine. The graphics files are spread across about 10 files at the moment, and are too big for me to host at the moment. I'm going to try and sort them out over the weekend and lay them out properly, then i'll make a pdf and get the file size down a bit. I've already had requests for various colour schemes, so i'll get it all sorted in one go. I might even get chance to get some flying in if i'm lucky

Si.
Dec 07, 2006, 12:44 PM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
looks like ive missed a few posts , soz fellas Ill have to catch up.

NFS, like firetrappe says the little one has been shelved to make way for a biggy mono., ill try and post a piccy of the Maniac later tonight. Its basically the Infineon with a few minor tweaks...like taking a wing off ! . Ill post a few details when get home, its pretty easy to make one off the Infineon plan.

FT ..yup 12 mid airs in a single month ( 2 flying days ) , it must a a skill Ive aquired or we need a bigger hall.

rmgmag, its a cross between an F3p and 3D kinda design. Its tail moment (fus length between wing and tail,) is longer than yer average 3D er and shorter that an F3p'er . Generally F3p'er have a fus length much longer than the span to keep it smooth and gracefull and 3D'ers have a shorter fus (usually equal or less than the span) to get a more responsive action along with bigger throws and control surfaces. Its a very stable flyer and its so slow it looks kinda gracefull alongside yer average shocky like you say.

For a depron build , use 2mm allround for a superlight build, 3mm (or 3mm wings / 2mm fus) for normal and 6mm wings / 3mm fus for outdoors with a bigger motor / battery combo . Again like firetrappe says it'll still fly great if its build a bit heavier , it'll just fly faster ..and crash harder
Dec 07, 2006, 01:37 PM
Heres the Maniac, Basically a mono version of the Infineon and easier to spell ,

Very similar to its bipe brother , just move the canopy foward a bit , lose one wing, beef the other wing out a little and smooth the fus tail end as it joins the fin. Easy peasy design mod
Dec 07, 2006, 01:59 PM
Crash & Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash
l.......
its a cross between an F3p and 3D kinda design. Its tail moment (fus length between wing and tail,) is longer than yer average 3D er and shorter that an F3p'er . Generally F3p'er have a fus length much longer than the span to keep it smooth and gracefull and 3D'ers have a shorter fus (usually equal or less than the span) to get a more responsive action along with bigger throws and control surfaces. Its a very stable flyer and its so slow it looks kinda gracefull alongside yer average shocky like you say.

For a depron build , use 2mm allround for a superlight build, 3mm (or 3mm wings / 2mm fus) for normal and 6mm wings / 3mm fus for outdoors with a bigger motor / battery combo . Again like firetrappe says it'll still fly great if its build a bit heavier , it'll just fly faster ..and crash harder
Thanks MrFlash, this design of a cross between an F3p and 3D is exactly what I've been looking for. I guess based on the foam that I currently have, I'll probably be building the outdoor version. Once I get some more foam I'll give the normal version a shot. I may even try to pick up some epp. I don't think that I'd go the superlight route, I'm too rough on my planes for it to last very long.....
Last edited by rmgmag; Dec 07, 2006 at 08:14 PM.
Dec 08, 2006, 08:48 AM
It should fly great with whatever u make it with , Just try to keep the weight down if u want it to go slow . Best of luck dude. I think Firetrapps giving the V2 a try out tomorow so we'll see how it gets on , hope he gets some piccies !
Dec 08, 2006, 09:29 AM
Crash & Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash
It should fly great with whatever u make it with , Just try to keep the weight down if u want it to go slow . Best of luck dude. I think Firetrapps giving the V2 a try out tomorow so we'll see how it gets on , hope he gets some piccies !
I think that I may have just aquired some 3mm epp, so I'll use that for the fuse and then use my remaining 3mm depron for the wings, that should help keep the weight down and give me some crash protection.

I've got the tiled plans all printed out and taped together and I bribed my daughter (for $2) to cut the patterns out. So, I should be able to start cutting the foam tomorrow. With a bit of luck and assuming that I've got all of the parts that I need, it's entirely possible that I'll get this thing done within a week. I'm really looking forward to flying this one.

I'm curious to see pics of the V2, it sounds interesting too.
Dec 08, 2006, 10:21 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thread OP
rmgmag, Sounds like you're well under way with a build there, good stuff. Flash built the Maniac from scratch in 4 days, which proves they're fairly quick to build. My Infineon took a couple of weeks, but I was taking photo's, designing graphics and modifying the plans as I went. The V2 Flash is refering to is the one you're building, it's just that I haven't managed to get any in-flight photos or video yet. I'm going to be trying an 8x4 prop tomorrow on some 3S packs to see how it compares to the 9x5 on 2S. Should be interesting.

Good luck with the build.

Si.

Quick Reply