Dec 04, 2006, 12:56 AM
Thread OP

I really don't want to blow up the airplane. (The one I fly home on tomorrow)

How do I get my lipos home?

I really don't want to blow up the 737.

Knowing that lipos don't like being banged, bumped, or smashed, and after seeing the way airline employees handle baggage, I don't want to stick them in my suitcase.

Can I just carry them on, do I have anything to worry about if I do, and will airport security think I'm a terrorist? (I'm 15... but they give me a hard time because I look like I could be 16 and I can't give them my license as ID.)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2006, 12:58 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Don't forget that laptop computers and cell phones have lithium batteries too. It's not that big of a deal. Just wrap your dirty underwear around them and pack them in your checked baggage.

And remember to tell your mom before she does the laundry.
Latest blog entry: How To Get a Custom AMA Number
Dec 04, 2006, 02:05 AM
Thread OP
Hahaha, thanks. I didn't realize that.
Dec 04, 2006, 04:25 PM
Suspended Account
Fedex the packs home so you will blow up the Fedex airplane instead of the one your flying on. Just Kidding.
Dec 04, 2006, 05:10 PM
Pro Bro ozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The L
How do I get my lipos home?

I really don't want to blow up the 737.

Knowing that lipos don't like being banged, bumped, or smashed, and after seeing the way airline employees handle baggage, I don't want to stick them in my suitcase.

Can I just carry them on, do I have anything to worry about if I do, and will airport security think I'm a terrorist? (I'm 15... but they give me a hard time because I look like I could be 16 and I can't give them my license as ID.)

"L"

The TSA will view the Lipo's as batteries. You CAN carry them on the plane. Either in checked baggage or in your carry on.
Dec 04, 2006, 05:16 PM
Best is to pack them well to ensure no shorts, then put them in a cardboard box to handle the bumps of carrying the bag. Have the box with the batteries near the top and as you put the bag on the scanner, pull the box out to let the security person look in the box. (it will look strange on x-ray)

Tell the security person that they are batteries for toy airplanes.

There's very little danger of a LiPo burning when not being charged or discharged.
Dec 04, 2006, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
I am happy to report Southwest's 737 is still flying.

Thanks for the tips. The security guy didn't even ask me. I can bring exploding batteries on, but not a bottle of water...

Whatever, as long as terrorists don't get ahold of lipos I'm happy.
Dec 04, 2006, 07:09 PM
LiPos are unlikely do do more than stink up the interior of an airliner... the upholstery is all flame retardant. The danger of a LiPo fire in a house is that most houses are not built of fire retardent materials.

Quick Reply