Old Dec 03, 2006, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by N8fromVA
Discussion

Tandem wing design

Last week I posted this in the "Foam Design" thread and didn't have any takers.

This is probably a silly question, but I thought I'd pitch it to you anyway. I have two Easy Star wings: Would it be possible to use the second wing as a tail by putting a very large elevator on it and a built-up vertical stab and rudder? I've seen an Easy Star bipe on here before but never one like I've described. If it would work, it would be one way to alleviate the high wing-loading problem.

This evening I found this plane: http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...NES-TANGO.html
I would like to try something like this, but have no clue how balancing would work (among other things). Ever seen anything like it on here being used for AP?
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2006, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by skymind
Suspended Account
Hi N8,

I'm a member of a full-scale canard aircraft forum. You'll have lots of 'fun' trying to get it to fly properly. Getting to AP success would be fdone much sooner with a traditional configuration: tractor prop, wing, tail, camera underneath. If you like you can reduce wingloading with an old clark airfoil.

If you're bent on that configuration, find a place where somebody might have one.

Tom
Old Dec 03, 2006, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Photoship One
by Alary Design
$6K for that thing is beyond ridiculous. it's rape.

I designed and built a tandem wing plane about 14 years ago. It flew great and had tons of lift. If designed properly where the forward wing stalls just slightly before the aft wing it becomes nearly impossible to spin and when it does stall it's very gentle.
Old Dec 03, 2006, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by patrickegan
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yeah, what did it look like?
Old Dec 03, 2006, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Timer

Tileston Tern

This is a full scale tandem airplane I designed, inspired by the Flea. A model was built and flown and I started the full size one but did not finish it (the hull is hanging in my garge now). The marks on the hull in the photo are the CG limits.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 12:21 AM
Find More Posts by patrickegan
SlowStick Test Pilot
Interesting!
Old Dec 04, 2006, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by ghoti
Studies the wind
Best label for the flying flea is a "flying slot". A fascinating concept. Bill
Old Dec 04, 2006, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Timer
I did not classify the flea as a tandem, I said it was the insperation. The Tern uses the front wing for pitch control. the ailerons are on the rear wing.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by Gwelan
Peakaboo!
I think Tom Harper's Creosote Cruiser could be turned into a tandem wing plane rather easily. It's a tough plane designed for rough terrain.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...eosote+cruiser
Old Dec 04, 2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like figuring out the aerodynamics is a bear.

I really like the design of the Creosote Cruiser, so thanks for sharing. I'd never come across that one.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 07:43 PM
Peakaboo!
My pleasure.

BTW
I think Mr Harper has a build thread or a webpage where he explains how to build a plane with foam board.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 07:50 PM
Peakaboo!
I got it.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hp?t=364973&pp
Old Dec 05, 2006, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by Tony65x55
I'm not flying backwards!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8fromVA
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like figuring out the aerodynamics is a bear.

I really like the design of the Creosote Cruiser, so thanks for sharing. I'd never come across that one.
N8, don't give up on this one, the aerodynamics are not all that rough. Put together a rough sketch of what you're looking for and lots of us will be willing to help fine tune it.

Tony
Old Dec 05, 2006, 08:14 AM
Tony,

I appreciate your offer to help, and may take you up on it at a later time. With what I've found so far, I've decided to go ahead with what I had originally planned and save the tandem design for later. Thanks again.

Nate
Old Mar 03, 2007, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by Taran

I'd love to build this as a foam model, with maybe 32" wingspan. Should there be any difference in the angle of attack of the wings? It`s said in this thread the forward wing should stall before the aft wing, so should it have a higher angle of attack?

Is there a difference/advantage in putting the wings behind each other as in this beautiful indoor model, rather than on different levels as in the model in the picture?

Any hints/advice would be appreciated!