Dec 03, 2006, 02:39 AM
Toof-fairy
Thread OP
Discussion

X-Twin, Aeroace - post your mods - part 3

The first 2 threads obviously show extreme enthusiasm so here is part 3 of a brilliant topic.

Heres the first thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401484

And heres the second thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460819

Enjoy

Owen
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2006, 03:28 AM
Great to see another person from Perth, G'day.
Dec 03, 2006, 04:11 AM
Heli's rule!
Before we get 5 pages of "subscribed" posts, here is something a lot of people dont know....

You can subscribe without posting. Near the top of the page directly under the page numbers you will see where it says "thread tools". Click that and choose "Subscribe to this thread", then click "add subscription".... Easy as that....

Step 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2
Dec 03, 2006, 04:51 AM
Toof-fairy
Thread OP
G'day to you too.

Ive got to post some pics of my latest creation..

Off to shops first.

Owen
Dec 03, 2006, 10:49 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
As for LED's... I don't use them because I don't fly the AA at night. I have a tendency to fly so high it would probably just confuse me. How visible are they at, say... 250 ft.
The wind dies here at about 6pm and there is enough daylight to fly for an hour or so.
Last night it was dark when I went out, so I flew the Picoo Z since it has a strobe light in it. If you haven't flown your Picco outside, you are missing a lot of fun. I taped a paper clip under the nose of mine and if you launch it at the correct angle that thing will rocket around in circles at a high rate of speed. I had it up about 50 ft several times. The trick to flying it outside is to always point the infrared "antenna" directly at the heli. If the wind does catch you, just shut it off and let it drop in the grass.

I sure wish someone would build a larger heli just like the Picco... You don't need 3 or 4 channels to make it rip around the yard. The heli is MUCH faster than any of my Aero Aces.
Dec 03, 2006, 12:17 PM
Toof-fairy
Thread OP
HAHA.. wow.

Do you have an antenna mod on your AA? or jsut stock setup. I have read in previous posts about using more bateries to increase the range, but im just using batteries that are soo dead it wont even charge properly. I find that for street flying, its still within range, and so never bothers me. (i have changed the output transistor on the Tx to a 2n2222 becasue i fried teh last one, but need to investigate further on its effects)

I charge my AA via a powersupply which has a current limiter, which i can use to limit the charging rate down from 400mA to 130mA. This is the easiest way i find to keep the current down. DO NOT CONNECT THE POER SUPPLY BACKWARDS... thats how i fried my output transistor on my Tx...

My dads on holidays overseas and hes getting me some piccoZs at about $40 AUD each or around 35 USD so im gonna wait for that.

Owen
Dec 03, 2006, 12:17 PM
Ego varius quis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
I sure wish someone would build a larger heli just like the Picco... You don't need 3 or 4 channels to make it rip around the yard. The heli is MUCH faster than any of my Aero Aces.

It's called the "gyrotor".

I'd like to see a third channel for the PiccoZ. I'm learning how to work with very fine electronic bits, and I'd like to try adding an itsy-bity gyro and an actuator driver for a 3rd channel.
Dec 03, 2006, 02:18 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium_192
HAHA.. wow.

Do you have an antenna mod on your AA? or jsut stock setup. I have read in previous posts about using more bateries to increase the range, but im just using batteries that are soo dead it wont even charge properly. I find that for street flying, its still within range, and so never bothers me. (i have changed the output transistor on the Tx to a 2n2222 becasue i fried teh last one, but need to investigate further on its effects)

My dads on holidays overseas and hes getting me some piccoZs at about $40 AUD each or around 35 USD so im gonna wait for that.

Owen
Hi Owen,

Nope! It's bone stock.....no antenna modifications. When I fly as high as 300ft. over the house, I stay in an imaginary square directly overhead most of the time. When I start to fly away from overhead at that height, I often have to stand on my tip toes and hold the Tx as high as possible to get back in range. But, I always keep a little left rudder dialed in. That way, if I fly out of range, or fly the batteries out while I'm way up there... the AA spirals down pretty fast and there's not as much chance of losing it. I do all kinds of nutty stuff with my AA's. I taped the bottom of one with clear packing tape and made a water landing. It took off from the water <ROW> twice before it tilted over and dipped a wing in and flipped upside down in the middle of the pond. I started to freak out, but then realized the only way water could get in was through the holes on the bottom. So, it was floating safely. I gave it a minimal amount of power and it moved toward me. The left motor was tipped over and was partly under water, but you can run a DC motor underwater with no damage... so I ended up 'driving' it back to shore!
I pulled it apart and shook it, but no water came out.

I have some cool tricks with the Picco Z also. I'll try to video it flying outside in a circle going about 20mph! In the meantime, here is a video of my dogfighting with some bats at high altitude. I video while I'm flying, but I only have to use one hand once I get the throttle set where I want it. Lotsa fun!

Check it out here... www.cheap-rc.com/Dogfight.wmv
Dec 03, 2006, 02:47 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
It's called the "gyrotor".

I'd like to see a third channel for the PiccoZ. I'm learning how to work with very fine electronic bits, and I'd like to try adding an itsy-bity gyro and an actuator driver for a 3rd channel.
What is a Gyrotor and where can I find one? I'm growing tired of flying my Lama 2 and I fly my Picco z more. I fly both outdoors. But, I need a large one that is similar to take my 5 in 1 camera up.

You can get 3 ch performance out of your Picco if you balance it correctly.
Although it won't go backwards, it will certainly go forward at adjustable speeds by adding weight under the nose. I wouldn't recommend using thumbtacks. That lipo isn't far inside the foam. I tape a paper clip under the nose of mine and it moves forward rapidly with full throttle. Ease off on the throttle and it slows way down to the point that you can circle a landing spot and then land it with no problem. I'll try to get a video flying inside and outside with fast forward motion. When it is going fast, you will notice that the tail rotor has less and less effect. I can get it going so fast outside, that I can only turn in wide circles. You just have to slow it down some to get your quick rotor movements. I also like to take mine up about 50ft. and then cut the power. It comes tumbling down and about 20 ft. high, I give it full throttle and it straightens out. Heli Aerobatics!

Where do I find a Gyrotor? Are they still made?
Dec 03, 2006, 03:11 PM
The Gyrotor is just a tad bigger, it's also silverlit. It weigh about 25g IIRC and I doubt it'll take a camera

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598564

/Fredrik
Dec 03, 2006, 11:53 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
Anyone have a spare AA motor they can part with? Had been investigating a bad connection on mine and a wire pulled out the back of the motor. Pic attached.

PM me if you have one, thanks!! Will be building an AA depron Jet.
Dec 04, 2006, 02:41 AM
Toof-fairy
Thread OP
Dang, bad luck. That happend to me too a few days ago, It was intermittent, and when i tried to remove it from the wing (it was barely taped on) the wires came off.

Owen
Dec 04, 2006, 11:57 AM
Gguy's Micro Demoiselle has been posted on the toolbox. Thanks Gguy! Enjoy!
====================
www.aatoolbox.no-ip.org
www.rctoolbox.no-ip.com
Dec 04, 2006, 10:30 PM
Toof-fairy
Thread OP
Noooooo... Just as i was going to take vids and pics of my creation flying, its been carried away by the wind into someones backyard. (and everyone here except us has a pool) I dont know where it is yet, since no one is home on my street yet.

nooo... no more AA for me.

Owen
Last edited by osmium_192; Dec 04, 2006 at 11:05 PM.
Dec 05, 2006, 12:45 PM
The smaller the better...
Buzz,

I have LED's on my site that are easily seen at 1/2 mile with very low current draw.
7000MCD ! Normal LED's are 100MCD or less.

Tony
ARS Software & Innovative Solutions
http://www.falcon1.net/~ars/rcmodels.html

Quick Reply