Sep 08, 2002, 02:11 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Thread OP

How To Glue Poly Plastic??

I have an old Cirrus sailplane with about an 8' span. Unfortunately, I somehow hit a pipe sticking out of the ground while landing, and split the "plastic" fuse down the middle. It has been hanging in my shop unrepaired for years because I cannot find ANY sort of adhesive/Glue that will get a grip on the substance the fuselage is made of. I thought it was ABS plastic, but in the Glider forum I'm advised it may be some other sort of polyplastic or nylon instead of ABS. I've tried PVC cement, all kinds of contact cement, various epoxies and even fiberglass resin. After whatever bonding agent I'm using dries.... it will not stick to the surface of the fuselage. Short of drilling holes through the fuse and BOLTING it back together... I'm stuck!

Anyone have any ideas? Any help will be appreciated, and thanks to the glider forum guys for their help.
Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2002, 02:15 PM
Dr John
Pop rivits are lighter than bolts.
Sep 08, 2002, 03:44 PM
Boffin
I answered in the other thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...043#post483043
Sep 08, 2002, 03:47 PM
Recently saw some onfo on gluing the Expansion Tank onna Saab, these are made of Hi Density Polyprop. almost impossible to glue.. especially so where heat ad pressure retention are critical components. Can't fer the life of me rememeber the Name of the Adhesive... But It was produced by 3M.. suggest a search
Sep 09, 2002, 10:50 AM

This works well for me with those "tupperware" fuses:

Use Goop.
I pulled my hair out trying CA, Epoxy, etc. to fix my planes.
I finally tried Goop. IT works great.
Make sure you use rough sand paper to give the goop something to grab onto. Spread the goop liberally, and put a piece of fiber-glass cloth over the wet goop for added strength. If you want the fix to look nice, glass it over with some thinned down epoxy (I use 90% Isopyphil alcohol) when dry.

Quick Reply