LED bulbs - Page 5 - RC Groups
Oct 24, 2008, 07:22 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou
Thats pretty ingenious using clear resin. I guess its also easy enough to just replace the whole thing if the led should burn out. If I ever need some, I know who to beg!!
Any time, I keep a few in stock...

http://myplace.frontier.com/~aimee.eng/index.html

Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Nov 15, 2015 at 02:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2011, 04:26 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Resurrecting this old thread-- PatMat had pointed me to it form my thread about lighting my Lightship.

This thread mentioned the holiday lights- but they aren't in any of the stores around here at this time of year.

I just found a possible source for the concave white LEDs:

http://www.holidaylights.com/id11438.html

And look at the clearance page-- they have red and green strings!
Mar 22, 2011, 04:41 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Cool, thanks!
Mar 22, 2011, 05:22 PM
GILL
I have used SMT LED's for a side mount. You can get all different sizes and colors.
I use 2 soldered together for the "Halogen" spots on my push tug.
May 31, 2011, 09:24 AM
GSMB Member
Here is an article on what can be done with LED's. It might give someone an idea coming up with something new...

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...5&viewall=true

Try the long version.
Last edited by ken_nj; May 31, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
May 31, 2011, 02:36 PM
Timo2
Hi

Link not working

Timo2
Dec 04, 2011, 03:21 PM
Mmm, tugs...

New for 2011- Warm White minis!

I was excited back at the beginning of this thread about these inverted-cone tip Xmas LEDs, because unlike regular LEDs, they shine 360 around... regular LEDs are more like flashlights, with all the light out the tip.

Problems- these 5mm (3/16") diameter LEDs are hard to use in smaller models... though they are quite OK in about 1:24th. And they have that blue tint, just not right.

But I walked into my Sam's Club today, and lo & behold, warm white mini LEDs with inverted cone tips!

These are 3mm (1/8") diameter, so they'll be useful in even more models.

Yay.

20 bucks will get you 200 bulbs... enough for a lifetime (or one of Leen's offshore tugs).

Last edited by patmat2350; Aug 30, 2016 at 08:58 AM.
Dec 04, 2011, 04:37 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Another comparison- size of mini 3mm vs 5mm.

Also- the mini bulb casings will make perfect welding gas bottles in 1:72 scale!

Dec 04, 2011, 10:11 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Great find.
Dec 05, 2011, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
I was excited back at the beginning of this thread about these inverted-cone tip Xmas LEDs, because unlike regular LEDs, they shine 360 around... regular LEDs are more like flashlights, with all the light out the tip.

Problems- these 5mm (3/16") diameter LEDs are hard to use in smaller models... though they are quite OK in about 1:24th. And they have that blue tint, just not right.

But I walked into my Sam's Club today, and lo & behold, warm white mini LEDs with cone tips!

These are 3mm (1/8") diameter, so they'll be useful in even more models.

Yay.

20 bucks will get you 200 bulbs... enough for a lifetime (or one of Leen's offshore tugs).

Thanks for the info Pat!! Now that the season is here I will make sure to pick some up along with the usual X-mas supplies.

-Rich.
Dec 09, 2013, 07:12 PM
Mmm, tugs...
It's that time of year- go stock up on these inverted cone tip warm white LEDs! Buy one string, you'll be set for life...
Dec 09, 2013, 11:04 PM
Nickel Belter
Pat, how hard is it to get the bulbs out of those green/white plastic holders? Can you theoretically get all 200 bulbs out intact or are you looking at substantial attrition from ham-fingers?
Dec 09, 2013, 11:12 PM
Mmm, tugs...
More an issue is poking yourself on the leads. Use pliers...
Dec 17, 2016, 06:42 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Saw some more Xmas LEDs today, might give you some ideas.

One is just another source of 3mm inverted tip white bulbs... though you really want to make sure they aren't the old blue-white, but rather a true white.

The others use LED chips (which you can also buy loose). These are tiny, 1 maybe 2 mm for example... they have solder pads on either end of the chip, and the LED is on the top surface... they're intended for surface mount soldering onto a board. But here, they're soldered like rungs on a ladder made of skinny wires... not sure where the required resistors come in, can't be the wires themselves...
But each LED is encased in a drop of clear material... I've seen white and colors.
Dec 18, 2016, 09:40 AM
I found a bunch of the chip LED's at the dump though I have no idea how much voltage they would need. Must be a strand that has 30 or so LED's on it.