Mar 29, 2007, 12:52 AM
Thread OP

Aero 400 - an update

Hi guys,

Just a quick update on this thread. I've just completed the Aero400 and am now ready for a maiden when the weather becomes more favourable.

Some further details and photo's can be found at the following...
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~tarnagul/...lanes/aero.htm

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out and can't wait to get it in the air.
I'll let you know how it goes!

Regards,
Cameron.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2007, 05:23 AM
Looks good.
Mar 29, 2007, 10:00 AM
Visitor from Reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by smargtp78
I am going to build the squert from plans I downloaded, but I have some questions about the wing. The plans are hand drawn and are a little blurry from scanning and enlarging. My question is about the wing rib shape, is it completly flat on the bottom,the rib pattern seem to curve up at the rear end and on the fuse cut out it is curved in the front, which is it supposed to be ? Also what is the best way to build this wing since it is built with out spars?
Sorry - missed this. Tax season for a small business, plus wifey in hospital = not much online or toy airplane time.

Have seen the SquErt online plan - why anyone would take the time to do this is beyond me, not even like they're ripping something off for pay. Funny old world...

The rib section is flat aft of the rear edge of the lower sheeting - so it sits flat down on the building board.

Build sequence (more or less!)

Cut out all ribs, sheeting parts, vertical grain webbing. Leave LE sheeting a tad long, to allow for trimming.

Pin bottom TE cap, lower capstrips onto plan. Pin down lower LE sheeting by rear edge only.

Glue ribs onto TE cap and capstrips, leave pinned down. Fit vertical grain webbing.

Unpin wing, roll each rib forward onto lower LE sheeting, gluing down with thin CA.

Pin back down. Add rear TE top sheet.

With entire wing securely pinned down to board, add top LE sheeting. I use PVA wood glue, zillions of pins, old Nicad batteries and rubber bands to hold it all down flat - now flat is getting real important.

Last major part - sand LE sheeting down to ribs, add LE itself with PVA glue, pins etc. Pin / weight wing back down.

Once the LE D box (LE, top & bottom sheeting, vertical webbing) is set, any warps you built in are there for the duration! So get it flat or suffer later on This wing may be light, but it sure is solid and stable.

Carve / sand ailerons to match, fit with torque rods etc.

I think that covers everything - I built my last SquErt in 1994, so memory is a little fuzzy

One day, will build a LiPo / BL impelled successor with modern RC gear! The ESC I had in 1994 basically varied the motor speed some, but managed to use the same current regardless of motor speed - and was the size of a small house building component as well.

If that plan is really out of whack, I have a copy of the UK mag publication plan - could be talked into helping...

Regards

Dereck
Mar 29, 2007, 01:21 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Looks GREAT Cameron! I like the simple lines. Well done!

I'll watch for the maiden report. -Steve
Mar 29, 2007, 02:15 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
I've been eyeing Peter Rake's AJ Sportster for my next project:
http://www.manzanolaser.com/id33.html
Mar 31, 2007, 12:18 PM
Looks great Cameron! What are you powering it with?
Apr 01, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thread OP

It flies!

Hi all,

Well, the wait is over for me - a beautiful day last Sunday and hence went out to give the 'Aero' a maiden flight. It flew absolutely brilliantly! It tracked away perfectly from my hand and after some minor trim adjustments was flying very smoothly. I can't believe how stable it is.
With the large wing area it does fly fairly slowly, but not painfully so - just gives plenty of time to think about what you're doing. That wing area also makes for very controlled and slow landing. I left the local park after the flights with a smile from ear to ear!
I'd certainly recommend this one to anyone else looking for a similar type of plane.

DrFish - I just used a standard (GWS) 400sp brushed motor with 3:1 gearbox, 9x7.5 apc prop and 11.1 1500 mAh. Don't know what the all up weight is (as I don't have a great set of scales) - but will find out.
Spent most of the time flying at just over 1/2 throttle and with more throttle had plenty of power (for me!). I got about 16 minutes flying time - and when charging the battery realised I probably had another 5-10 minutes left! I don't like pushing a new battery in a new plane too hard!

I'll get some in-flight shots over the next week or so (hopefully) and will post.

- Cameron.
Apr 01, 2007, 06:58 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Yippie!
Wow, a scratch built with brushed. It sounds like more fun per dollar than anything.
(Though a cheap outrunner would give you more power/less weight once you wear out that GWS...)

Hope you have many great flights. Looking forward to some in-flights. -Steve
Apr 01, 2007, 07:28 PM
Scratchbuilding balsa is almost always more expensive then a kit once you factor in the cost of the hardware and all the little bits and pieces. But who cares. We do it anyways.
Apr 02, 2007, 11:30 AM
Congratulations Cam.

Its a great feeling flying something you have built with your own hands isn't it.

Adds just a little more pride I feel.

God help me when I maiden my Ivan Pettigrew Mosquito in a few weeks!
Apr 12, 2007, 05:27 PM
Thread OP

Final update...

Hi all,

As promised, here are the last pictures... These were taken by my 7 yr old son early one morning. I've completed the plane with a pilot and am still really happy with this plane. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a similar plane. It's great!

I'm thinking that maybe one day I may make another set of wings more in the 'Extra' shape in order to give some more speed and better handling in higher wind... Will be interesting to see how this turns out - but will post more info on that when I get around to it. In the meantime I'll just continue to enjoy it!

Finally, the full build log and some further 'in flight' pics are on my website at http://home.vicnet.net.au/~tarnagul/...lanes/aero.htm

- Cameron.

Quick Reply