Nov 23, 2006, 09:41 PM
fnpaulie1
Thread OP
Build Log

Miss Stik

OK so I finally began building my Miss Stik kit last week. I did a search and didn't come up with any other builds or threads on this plane so I thought I would start one. It looks like a great plane and is a fairly easy kit to build. Though I have one critique, the instructions leave a little to be desired IMO. Not a fault, just a little tricky when it comes to the first few procedures because of the language. You MUST pay attention closely to the wording. The plans are great and very detailed. Here is the wing as the build goes. It's the first thing you build.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2006, 09:46 PM
fnpaulie1
Thread OP
The wing has no ribs to speak of, just a very strong main spar and turbulators (1/8" balsa stringers across the front of the wing between the spar and the LE) to form an airfoil. The round hardwood dowel that forms the LE is very rigid. The wing builds easily as do the wing tips which I have pictured here. They mount up together nicely with the help of dihedral inserts between the wing tips and the main wing. These fill in the gaps between them well once assembled together.
Nov 23, 2006, 09:49 PM
fnpaulie1
Thread OP
As I stated earlier the build instructions leave alot to the builder's imagination and rely heavily on the plans which have to be cut into smaller sections to fit on any 1 table. There will be references back to all sections of plans from one to another throughout the entire build so don't destroy any part of the plan.
Nov 23, 2006, 10:25 PM
fnpaulie1
Thread OP
Here are some more wing pics. A better idea of what the polyhedral (I said dihedral earlier by mistake) inserts are and how they help. The assembled wing is a good looking piece of work.
Nov 23, 2006, 10:33 PM
fnpaulie1
Thread OP
The fuselage is built on 2 identical crutches- a top and a bottom. The laser cut plywood formers make the bottom a quick assembly. The top half is mostly balsa stick and takes not much longer. The only real issue I ran across was the keel which is 2x 1/8 sq balsa sticks run along the channels in the formers distorted the shape of the crutch a little. It caused a problem when I joined the 2 crutches to form the fuselage. I straightened it out and it came out looking nicer than I had expected. The fuse is much larger than I imagined even after looking over the plans.
Nov 23, 2006, 10:42 PM
fnpaulie1
Thread OP
Earlier I mentioned that I had to flip flop back and forth between the sections of plans I had. The plan is very detailed and all info you will need is on it as far as the construction is concerned. Steps are not indicated on it though making the instructions necessary. This sounds like a silly statement but when you see for yourself you will understand what I mean. This isn't like any other kit I've built.
But back to the build... Flipping back and forth between sections because you have to refer to more that one view at a time and you will have to index the fuselage to each view. Yes, it's true that this would be easier if I didn't cut the plans into sections but the plan is huge. The wing and stabilizers and fuselage as well as a handy help section are all on the same single plan page.
This is the fuse all assembled and needing only a few supports here and there. The battery tray and servo trays are needed and some cross bracing in the tail section as well. There are some smaller balsa sheet pieces in front of the vertical stabilizer that are shown in 1 view on the plan but not listed clearly in the instructions. I haven't added them yet because I don't want to screw up the stab's proper placement.
Nov 23, 2006, 10:51 PM
fnpaulie1
Thread OP
This is as far as I have gotten so far. This weekend will be some more construction and maybe some electronics installation. I will be covering it with opaque covering because I have another plane with the yellow/red transparent scheme.
Since there are not many, if any other Miss Stik threads here, please anyone and everyone contribute with pics or whatever you have to share about this plane.
Thanks,
Paul
Nov 23, 2006, 11:17 PM
Paul,
I will be starting to build my Slomowatt MK II soon. The wing cnstruction is almost the same as the Miss Stik. So I was wondering if you had any trouble bending the top piece of the wing rib. Did you soak it in water at all to make it bend easier?
The reason the instructions seem so sketchy is that this plane was designed with the idea that the builder has some experience. It is not one of the laser cut kit that just fall together. But if you read the instructions a couple times it will all make sense.
I will follow your build closely. Is this the Miss Stik Sr. or Jr.? I will be interested to see what the AUW turns out to be. What kind of power plant and servos are you going to use?
Ken
Last edited by Tailspin Ken; Nov 24, 2006 at 12:32 AM.
Nov 23, 2006, 11:43 PM
I have liked this model from the first time I saw it several years ago. The price was something that held me back. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was then. Earlier today I ran across this model at Hobby Lobby and saw it priced for a mere $33.60! I can tell you now how excited that made me. This is a great price for a model of this size. Let us not forget that it has laser cut parts as well.

For me I will have to wait some time for financial reasons. Any one hiring ?

Still I know this will be one for me one day.

The Fuse looks really strong with the double crutches. The wing however doesn't look hard but seems very "fiddley" to borrow a term from our friends across the pond. Its hard to believe how many little pieces make up this structure. It too seems quite strong however, in spite of the many pieces.

Please tell of the weights of these structures if you can. Looking very good fnpaulie1. Keep up the good work!

Robert
Nov 24, 2006, 09:05 AM
fnpaulie1
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Hey Willin, today is a super sale at Hobby Lobby, right now they have the Miss Stik Jr on sale, maybe the Sr will be later.
This kit is the Sr kit, it has a 55" wing. I think the plans say 22oz AUW but I'll see in a few days.
I'll be using the Ultrafly Frio 10, I think that's the one, it has a 900kv rating. 3 cell with a 10x4.7. Thunderbird 18 ESC, Cirrus single conversion Rx, and HS-55's.
I have built several kits before, this is the first time I've seen instructions like this. I'm honing my skills to build that nice looking H1 racer. There is also a FW-190 kit I have stalled on my table, funding issue for the motor.
Also the wing issue, There is no real rib you just simply "crack" the top strap over the main spar. Literally crack it. I scored the top to make it break where I wanted it to. The CA soaks in and makes it solid again. Yes, there are many many many little pieces in the wing and fuselage. But it is really strong, the whole thing is. The Stab set will get going tonight.
Keep watching...
Nov 24, 2006, 09:57 AM
Paul,
The Slomowatt wing has the option of cracking the wing as you did, or of soaking the balsa and bending the wing. The difference is the wing rib being either angled or curved at the front. I am going to try to bend the top of the rib on my plane. The shape of the rib does not make any difference in the flight characteristics of the plane.
Yes the AUW is given as 22-22oz, but I think those numbers were based on nimh batteries and a brushed motor. I will use lipos and a brushless on mine. I think a lot of weight can be saved, and I bet yours will come in way under the advertised 22 oz.
Ken
Nov 24, 2006, 04:02 PM
fnpaulie1
Thread OP
Yeah, I think your right, the weight should be quite a bit under. The plans show a NiMh pack and the instructions mention a speed 400.
Your wing sound very similar and I think that these 2 planes are made at the same factory under 2 names for 2 distributors or something like that. Actually 1 of the laser cutters is located about 8 miles from me. I got the Ellipstik and saw the company is right nearby.
I'm not sure about your plane's wing but they have a "turbulator spar" on mine to create the airfoil that is lacking in the breaking method. It sits length wise across the "ribs" between the LE and the main spar to create a bump. I think one of the photos shows it.
The weight of mine will be slightly higher because I'm covering it in Monokote or Ultrakote probably. I'd like to see 22oz or so just so that a gnat's fart doesn't blow it away. My 48" Lazy Bee weighs about 29oz now and the most insignificant seeming breeze moves it about.
Nov 24, 2006, 05:05 PM
hey,

Great to see some others building from sticks! I have the miss stick jr. about 80% complete. I am waiting for some LEDs as I am building a night flier. I will post some pics later.

Walter
Nov 24, 2006, 05:48 PM
fnpaulie1
Thread OP
Cool idea. I haven't really embraced the idea yet. Maybe less wind at night?
Nov 24, 2006, 08:16 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Shortly after Tom Hunt designed the larger Miss Stik he sent me a kit to build to see how it built out. Mine is powered by an AXI 2212-26 and a 2 cell Thunder Power 2100 using a Castle Phoenix 10 ESC and a 10-7 APC slow flyer prop (I think). AUW is 16 oz covered in transparent Monokote on the wing and Solarfilm light on the rest.

Absolutely great flyer. My flying buddy and I have had it aloft for as long as 25 to 30 minutes in a flight just tooling around and hunting for thermals.

It is an easy plane to build and it follows Tom's well known stik design criteria. I have built most of Tom's designs over the years and they are all great flyers. Hardest part about the larger Miss Stik is covering it as there are some hard angles around the upper fuselage/wing area that make covering just a bit of a challenge.

Hope you enjoy the Miss Stik. I certainly do!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew

Quick Reply