Nov 21, 2006, 07:28 PM
Dragon Slayer
Discussion

Tiger Sun Build

I've started to work on the Tiger Sun Kit by Garry King from Canada, here are some pic's of the kit and a list of parts.
Last edited by ropanach; Nov 21, 2006 at 11:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2006, 07:43 PM
Transportation fanatic
Looks good ropanach!

As a Vancouverite, I often see the Tiger Sun berthing ships when I am down by the waterfront.

Previously owned by Tiger Tugz (Rivtow), I think SMIT Canada now owns her?

Are you planning to add a Z - drive to you model?

Anyways, hope all goes well on this build, looking forward to seeing your progress!

Kevin
Nov 21, 2006, 08:36 PM
Dragon Slayer
Kevin:
I will be using Two, GRUPNER SCHOTTELANTRIEB ll
I still need to get the Grupner 700 mottors I need. and a good pair of short couplers to tie them together.
I like your avitar.
Nov 23, 2006, 11:14 AM
Dragon Slayer
Marked out the wheel house too get ready too cut out for windows and doors.
Nov 23, 2006, 11:28 PM

Gary King's Tiger Sun

I couldn't fine any reference to either Gary King of the Tiger Sun on Google. Is this a Canadian tug kit? Where can I find out more about it and the price etc. In the pics it does not look like thre is a deck with the kit, or do you have to make one from wood?
Thanks,
Tugger Tom in Toronto
Nov 24, 2006, 12:32 AM
Dragon Slayer
There is not a deck with the kit, make it with what ever you can make water prof, There are no electronic or drives, but he does make suggestions, he has a large tug and the tiger Sun Jr. Gary King makes the kits in his shop, the last E-Mail Adress I have for Gary is aautotech@telus.net, he can give you the pacifics.
The Tiger Sun is a real tug out of Vancover BC.
Hope this helps.

Roger
Nov 24, 2006, 09:00 AM
Ropanach

Very nice model, glad to see more modern tugs coming on the market. Enjoy the build and we'll enjoy the forum.
Nov 24, 2006, 10:20 AM
YaY! A new thread! The first build in a new dry dock. Way to go.

Don
Nov 24, 2006, 10:31 AM
At least in ropanach's dry dock, you do not have to flood it, to accept and release a vessel ( little hard on the new floor)....I want a Tiger Sun!!!
Nov 24, 2006, 10:52 AM
Maybe Santa will bring you one? This depends on how good you have been this year. Only you know the answer. Me I am just assuming you deserve one.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart_racer
At least in ropanach's dry dock, you do not have to flood it, to accept and release a vessel ( little hard on the new floor)....I want a Tiger Sun!!!
Nov 24, 2006, 10:58 AM
Dragon Slayer
Bluezepher:
It feels good to get back to work after the so long with out some place to build a boat.
Don Brown:
Wheres you new thread of the new work shop build?
smartracer:
Have you heard from Gary King yet? Too flood my dry dock for a release might upset some peple, it's on the second floor.
Nov 24, 2006, 11:14 AM
Don are you apart of the va beach club?
Nov 24, 2006, 11:37 AM
I live 3 or 4 hours away from Va. Beach too far to be part of their club.

My old new dry dock thread was here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568888
It has been done for over a month now. I was actually referring to Ropanach's thread on his Dry Dock build he just finished.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezephyr
Don are you apart of the va beach club?
Nov 24, 2006, 11:39 AM
ropanach... No email reply yet, but I remembered Keith S gave me his phone number, should give him a call, he is just across the the pond from me in Vancouver...(email has no long distance charges...LOL)...well off to my weekly visit to my LHS to spend my allowance
Nov 24, 2006, 05:44 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropanach
There is not a deck with the kit, make it with what ever you can make water prof, There are no electronic or drives, but he does make suggestions, he has a large tug and the tiger Sun Jr. Gary King makes the kits in his shop, the last E-Mail Adress I have for Gary is aautotech@telus.net, he can give you the pacifics.
The Tiger Sun is a real tug out of Vancover BC.
Hope this helps.

Roger
Ropanach,

The Name "Gary King" has been coming up more and more, and I seem to recall having met him at the Toronto Hobby Show some years back. He had a neat little twin-screw/Kort nozzle log float handling tug named "McKenzie" then, and was working on some really exotic stuff. This has been probably 15 or more years ago, so I can envision him doing something like "Tiger Sun". Dan
Sinstead of MCD has been a friend of mine for well over 20 years, and I understand that he, Gary King and Ron Burchett may have some kind of working relationship on specialized propulsion systems. Sounds like you're in with the right crowd---.