Does the specified C G change with heavier motor/batteries ? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 20, 2001, 03:39 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN

Does the specified C G change with heavier motor/batteries ?

Let's say a plane comes with the C G specified for a certain location, say, 2 inches from leading edge of the wing.

If I install a heavier motor and esc, I don't balance in a different spot, do I ? Don't we move the flight pack or something else to maintain balance in the factory location ?

Thanks

Al
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2001, 04:59 PM
Al P,

Balance the plane in the same place. A heavier model will just have a faster minimum speed (and higher structural stresses).

Doc
May 22, 2001, 11:06 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Depends on the design and the amount of extra weight. For a standard clark y type airfoil and a flat plate stab + 20 % in weight or so, you're probably OK. For an undercambered wing with a lifting stab- move the c.g. forward as weight increases. It's often not a bad idea to sneak the c.g. forward a bit for first flights-and set a little extra up in the trims. Nose heavy airplanes get retrimmed, tail heavy airplanes get rekitted.

Sam Brauer
Norwalk, CT
May 22, 2001, 04:26 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Thanks for the replies.. I moved my flight pack forward 1/4 inch and it flies great now.

Thanks

Al
May 22, 2001, 05:25 PM
characters welcome!
The CG is an inherant part of the design that does not change. The balance however will change.

mw