Jan 07, 2020, 10:17 AM
Light flies right!
Nice Giant Dart localfiend! You inspired me to finish a tiny one.

It's 12" span, 15.4 grams AUW with a 150mAh 1S and Vapor guts. I originally built it with regular 2mm Depron sheet construction, but felt it was too heavy. Skeletonized it with thin produce bags, which I think has saved 5+ grams. Flies a lot better now, and I'm hoping it will be slow enough to fly in my living room.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2020, 12:20 AM
Light flies right!
Update on the tiny Dart: I goofed on the CG. I neglected to read that the starting CG is at 25% of the wing MAC, not 25% of the root chord. It's a difference of about a half inch on this small model, and I needed an excessive amount of up trim to fly level with the original forward CG. I moved the brick back to the mid chord of the wing; much better. May move it back even further for more responsiveness.
Jan 11, 2020, 09:05 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Been poking around looking for ideas for solving CG issues. Besides lengthening the nose, here's a good one I overlooked.

Pure genius!!

Take an overdue bow 'A Useless Geek' ……………………...
Last edited by goldguy; Jan 11, 2020 at 09:11 PM.
Jan 11, 2020, 09:06 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Was considering more rounded outlines for the flying surfaces.
Jan 12, 2020, 01:44 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Pure genius!!

Take an overdue bow 'A Useless Geek'
Good grief, Charlie Brown! I wasn't expecting such lavish praise coming from the King of the SDXS. The tapered profile airframe just seemed like a normal extension of the concepts behind the original SDXS when applied to a profile fuselage.

By the way, that pic doesn't show how I build the horizontal stabilizer with a strake these daze.
Jan 12, 2020, 03:41 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
I thought it was a great overlooked idea and needed attention.

Gave my Dart to a couple of kids that fly small multi rotors at our indoor, so need a new one.

I might try the horz. stab at zero using the tapered tail, the wing at two degrees positive and the motor at about five degrees of down thrust.
Jan 13, 2020, 08:44 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Try a Tandem Dart , you’ll love it … “ Trust me “ …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 13, 2020, 09:19 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Frank, you don't need wing incidence if you are looking for sport performance. For a slow flyer the wing incidence helps slow the plane down, of course -- that's what I did on all my slow fly and trainer variants. Motor down angle seems to affect sport tricks like prop hanging and pseudo-invert (how long you can hold it) more than "normal" flying. Don't forget a smidge of right.

Why am I trying to teach my grandma to suck eggs?
Jan 13, 2020, 05:44 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
An old man's reasoning ………………..

The wing must be positive to fly, which the negative stab angle facilitates. But, the faster you fly, the more the model wants to climb. So, the motor's down thrust compensates for that at all speeds and eliminates ballooning when landing.

The positive wing angle would be the same as the negative stab angle.
Last edited by goldguy; Jan 13, 2020 at 05:54 PM.
Jan 13, 2020, 05:57 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Funny, just as I read your post the wife announced that my eggs were ready, although hard boiled.
Jan 13, 2020, 06:01 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
By the way, I've seen all sorts of Dart setups and they all seemed to work. When we did the 'kids day' Dart builds you could see that in action.

I sure miss those events, something we haven't done in ages. I doubt any kids today would show up anyways!!!
Jan 16, 2020, 06:53 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&url=h...r4kDegUIARChAQ
Last edited by goldguy; Jan 16, 2020 at 08:23 PM.
Today, 02:29 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Longhorn #7 broke off a wing, as I mentioned before, so I'm rebuilding it as a flat KFm2 wing with ailerons. There hasn't been a lot of success with flat aileron wings on the SDXS. I'm hoping maybe the Longhorn's long wing root will somehow magically improve the lot of the aileron SDXS. Stay tuned as I get this puppy going.
Today, 03:21 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Just finishing up my new indoor Dart 450mm.

Also kit bashing a Swallow from BangGood. Such a deal for 20 bucks CDN!!!! Doin' a chop n' channel and making it a tractor.

Quick Reply