Sep 06, 2019, 05:12 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
A lot of people were surprised , and especially foam without skins … It has a little “ springback” but once it's bent it stays that way till heated again … ~190F
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2019, 09:29 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
So for example, the original NutBall design...can those polyhedral tips be done with just heat? Or are the resulting bends too gentle?
Sep 07, 2019, 05:43 AM
gpw
gpw
HL, The Potato Chip is just a Nutball with bent wing and V tail … OK, it’s Not exactly a Nutball . but really CLOSE …. hahahaha
Nov 13, 2019, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH2016
Flew the latest Dart and it performs beautifully at the small baseball diamond near my house, 2S, 9x5 AUW 190 gm.
It ended up in tree of house next door to the field. It spent two weeks outside up in the tree in the rain and cold until wind finally blew it down. The airframe is undamaged. The battery of course was toast @ 1/2 volt. But powering up the airplane with a new battery, everything worked fine! I am totally amazed.
Nov 13, 2019, 10:26 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Glen: Did you ever apply this technology to the Dart?

GPW's Potato Chip (2 min 24 sec)
Nov 14, 2019, 06:37 AM
gpw
gpw
Not as yet … we’ve been distracted lately with the restoration of a 1969 SAAB 96 V4 … But I’m sure it’s entirely possible . Worked Super on the Potato Chip …
Nov 14, 2019, 08:40 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Glen: Did you ever apply this technology to the Dart?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff5fQXTzFhI
As in V-tail Dart?
Would a V-tail... um, lol wait a minute... so I can’t ask if a V-tail would still be able to rudder roll since is doesn’t technically have a rudder eh. That one squeezed the brain a bit.
Nov 14, 2019, 10:03 AM
I'll say again....

For anyone interested in v-tail darts... Ruddym made a beechcraft bonanza dart with a v-tail back in 2012...
see this link :

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post24202937

Two other things introduced in his design are the control surface counter balances to reduce stress on our tiny servos. And his carbon fibre ribbon and foam I-beam which allows bracing at the angle you need rather than just straight
Last edited by gstreaks; Nov 14, 2019 at 12:14 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 04:01 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
You know what, I remember that Dart. Just needed my memory jogged a bit.
Nov 14, 2019, 04:44 PM
It's all good. Every time I look back at that one and how smooth it flew I want to go build one. I head to the build table and go, Oh yeah I still haven't finished this , that and the other thing so it's pushed down the pile again....
Nov 14, 2019, 05:32 PM
gpw
gpw
Just as FYI, the reason for the V tail on the Potato Chip was … How were we going to cut and hinge curved elevons ??? ( No, I don’t want to know ) The V tail was the logical and simple choice for retaining a Potato Chip wing un-interrupted … And it flies great , I still have it !! And No it doesn’t have a Rudder , it has Two eh !!!
Nov 14, 2019, 11:45 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
I was thinking a potato chip type wing and a 'V' tailed Dart when I asked.

All my 'V' tailed birds flew aerobatics no problem. So, should work on a Dart flatform, add lightness and fly aerobatics with the best of them.
Nov 15, 2019, 07:15 AM
gpw
gpw
How about a V-tail Dart with elliptical dihedral … ???
GG, years ago when we came here V-tail was a problem because of the Mixing involved , but with new radios , it’s so easy and really works great …GeneBond convinced me of the advantages of V tails some time ago …
Nov 20, 2019, 11:59 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Glen: Should have mentioned it ages ago, but this is one well rounded application of round.

Must try!

Frank
Nov 21, 2019, 06:04 AM
gpw
gpw
Imagine that with an elliptical wing ??? That would be Easy !!! The Round Dart flew really well, and still resides on the "shelf of fame “
All my Darts and Dart mods used a simple Profile fuselage which kept the weight and building time to a minimum , and remarkably with all that combat foolishness , we never damaged a fuselage . We had other fliers props slice and dice through wings and tails but never a fuselage . Could be just dumb Luck …. hahahaha
I LOVE Darts !!!

And curiously enough the Tandem wing Dart was the SLOWEST of all the Darts , and we were just on the verge of building one or more , with under-cambered (bent) airfoiled wings , slowing it down even further ,  and may happen as yet ...

Quick Reply