Aug 08, 2018, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
We bought a taranis QX-7 and it’s a real Bear to program ( for me ) Every little thing has to be programmed and assigned in first , even switches … It’s a little daunting for those uninitiated… And it has a protocol that only uses their receivers.. ( as far as I know ) I think it's more for Drones than planes … So far we only have one channel set up that we use for a couple planes … It’s easier to set the plane to the channel than the other way around…
Yeah when I first started looking it sounded like they could. be a handful to get right. I'm to old for the hassle. I would rather build and fly. I am hoping the Spektrum will be reasonably painless to program. I'm also looking for a large inventory of cheap parts.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2018, 04:13 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs1
Yeah when I first started looking it sounded like they could. be a handful to get right. I'm to old for the hassle. I would rather build and fly. I am hoping the Spektrum will be reasonably painless to program. I'm also looking for a large inventory of cheap parts.
Spektrum transmitters are not difficult to program ( for my 65 year old brain ) , and the manuals are very thorough .
Aug 08, 2018, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Spektrum transmitters are not difficult to program ( for my 65 year old brain ) , and the manuals are very thorough .
Thanks. That's good to hear. Don't have the patients I had ESP in programming stuff.
Aug 09, 2018, 05:25 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Needless to say the QX-7 was disappointing for my Old needs … It didn’t even come with a manual … no instructions . No Battery /charger ... Nothing …And with the ala carte menu of parts and upgrades , it assured a handsome profit for the dealers….
Before I even got mine they were updating the software constantly , requiring much "computer work"… I wasn’t happy ... JMHO

Note: computer geniuses probably would be much pleased with the complexity of the Tx .  I did use the FrSky tx module to convert my brothers old Futaba Tx6 which is much easier to deal with … and i can still use the several Frsky RXs we bought … grrrr!!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Aug 09, 2018, 08:39 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast
When I first got into RC planes I stupidly paid full price for a Dx6i. It worked fine. But it had hardly any model storage capacity was a pain when it came to mixing.

Not a year later I ended up buying a used DX9 and I haven't looked back. It's cake to program and a real joy to use. The DX8 is in the same class. Just do yourself a favor and get a nice case for it. Oh, and I suggest getting some old cell phone screen protectors and cutting them to fit the screen. IMHO that was one of the smartest mods I made

I use Orange RX and Lemon receiver's all the time and never had a problem with either. Of course I'm never flying out of sight and usually keep the within a 400 feet ceiling.
Aug 09, 2018, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys. In the process of looking for a DX8 Gen2 for a reasonable price. Got the five Lemon receivers in so waiting for the other stuff to fit out the Smart Dart. Still may go with the DX8e. Whichever I can get for a good price.
Aug 10, 2018, 06:54 PM
Well just took the plunge on the Spektrum. I ordered a dx8 with the Spectrum case. Took the advise to get a case for it and when bought together while still expensive wasn't to bad(considering). I'll play with setting up a plane or two while I wait for the rest of the parts for the dart. Kinda in a holding pattern without the parts.
Aug 12, 2018, 04:17 AM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
We bought a taranis QX-7 and it’s a real Bear to program ( for me ) Every little thing has to be programmed and assigned in first , even switches … It’s a little daunting for those uninitiated… And it has a protocol that only uses their receivers.. ( as far as I know ) I think it's more for Drones than planes … So far we only have one channel set up that we use for a couple planes … It’s easier to set the plane to the channel than the other way around…
I bought a QX7 late last year along with the iRange Plus multi module. I found it fairly easy to set up basic models compared with my Walkera Devo 10 running deviation. There are loads is clear YouTube videos available which I found helped a lot. Here's one of the more prolific producers of video content
https://www.youtube.com/user/Painles...arch?query=QX7
I like that you can assign any switch to any function and do funky things like have the bottom 40% of the throttle range for crow braking, top 40% throttle and mid 20% a dead zone. Great for full house motor gliders.
Andy
Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Hey quick question. I got my dx8 this afternoon. Started to program just a simple 3 channel bipe into the radio. The question is how do you know when the transmitter is charging? I plugged the supplied charger into the turned off transmitter and I see no indication that it is charging. Is something supposed to light up or make a sound. I unplugged it until I hear from you guys

thanks
Yesterday, 11:06 PM
According to the SPEKTRUM DX8 • RADIO INSTRUCTION MANUAL
ChARGING YOUR TRANSMITTER section

The DX8 features a built-in multi-chemistry charger designed to charge 4-cell
NiMH and 2-cell LiPo batteries at a charge rate of 200mAh. The charge jack on
the right side of the transmitter is non-polarity-critical, allowing you to use any
type of 12-volt supply to charge the battery regardless of connector polarity.
Using the included SPMB2000NMTX NiMH battery pack, you should plug the
included 12-volt AC to DC power supply in for 10 to 12 hours to fully charge
the battery.

CAUTION: Never plug in a peak detection or fast charger into your
DX8 as this could damage the internal charge circuit. Use only a 12V DC
source.

With the transmitter power turned off, plug the included 12 volt power supply
into a wall outlet. Then plug the male charge plug into the charge jack. The blue
LED on the front of the transmitter will illuminate. When charging the optional
SPMB4000LPTX, a full charge can take up to 30hrs depending on the initial
charge state of the battery. When charging a LiPo, the blue light will turn off
when the charge cycle is complete.
Last edited by gstreaks; Yesterday at 11:12 PM.
Today, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstreaks
According to the SPEKTRUM DX8 • RADIO INSTRUCTION MANUAL
ChARGING YOUR TRANSMITTER section

The DX8 features a built-in multi-chemistry charger designed to charge 4-cell
NiMH and 2-cell LiPo batteries at a charge rate of 200mAh. The charge jack on
the right side of the transmitter is non-polarity-critical, allowing you to use any
type of 12-volt supply to charge the battery regardless of connector polarity.
Using the included SPMB2000NMTX NiMH battery pack, you should plug the
included 12-volt AC to DC power supply in for 10 to 12 hours to fully charge
the battery.

CAUTION: Never plug in a peak detection or fast charger into your
DX8 as this could damage the internal charge circuit. Use only a 12V DC
source.

With the transmitter power turned off, plug the included 12 volt power supply
into a wall outlet. Then plug the male charge plug into the charge jack. The blue
LED on the front of the transmitter will illuminate. When charging the optional
SPMB4000LPTX, a full charge can take up to 30hrs depending on the initial
charge state of the battery. When charging a LiPo, the blue light will turn off
when the charge cycle is complete.
Thanks. Is the manual written for the G2 or the original DX8? My G2 (all black)has no LED's on the transmitter or on the charger. I am to understand that the the battery will not work with some chargers. The polarity is different. This is not to say the info I got is right or wrong just different.

Anyway I called Horizon Hobby and they had no definitive answer. I plugged it in for about an hour and a half. No lights came on, no beep I had no idea if it was charging or not until I checked it at the end of the time I charged. It did in fact charge so I guess it works. I really do not like the fact there is no indication that it is charging properly. I may decide to take the battery out and charge it using my charger but again not sure if the polarity is correct.

Just checked you post again. Yes it is different. Yours stated the charging jack on the right side of the transmitter. Mine is in the lower back of the transmitter.

I did not get any of the info you stated in my manual.
Today, 09:38 AM
Sorry for the confusion. You are correct those instructions came from a standard dx8 manual. The manual for the G2 is different. The Dx8 was built with a multi chemistry charger built in for nimh and lipo batteries. The G2 that you have is built to charge Li-ion batteries. The G2 manual has no mention of charge time, or lights.

There's also a statement in the G2 manual i'm not so sure about : "The installed Li-Ion battery has an internal charger designed to quick charge at a rate of 0.5 amps. The charge port on the battery is not polarity-dependent. "
Today, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstreaks
Sorry for the confusion. You are correct those instructions came from a standard dx8 manual. The manual for the G2 is different. The Dx8 was built with a multi chemistry charger built in for nimh and lipo batteries. The G2 that you have is built to charge Li-ion batteries. The G2 manual has no mention of charge time, or lights.

There's also a statement in the G2 manual i'm not so sure about : "The installed Li-Ion battery has an internal charger designed to quick charge at a rate of 0.5 amps. The charge port on the battery is not polarity-dependent. "

Hey listen no problem. Just trying to figure this thing out. I called Horizon and they said no way to know except turning on the transmitter and seeing if the battery indicator is going up in voltage.

Yes I read that also. I am told that last statement is incorrect. I don't know just what I read somewhere. Has to be true though
it came from the internet.

I wonder if there is any problem installing a lipo battery in there and charging externally. I would think not but ya never know with electronics. Not sure I even want to but just wondering.

Case in point my switch went bad on an old Hunter ceiling fan. Tried to replace the switch to find out later the switches are proprietary and can only be obtained from Hunter. Who would have thought that. LOL

Quick Reply