Dec 11, 2006, 12:08 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
I believe the triangular wing planform originally was done to make it impossible to build a warped wing ???? sticks and tissue stuff ...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2006, 02:52 PM
praymond ............. nope, everything on the plane is 85% of plan. in fact i had to cut a sizeable piece off of the rudder for elevator clearance.
gpw ................. we did a small video today ... no fancy flying, as there was a steady 10 mph breeze and after all it's a 6.6 oz plane. just wanted to show some of what its like in the air. i have the pdf plans, but will have Gene post them, as he did the work on them. video is forthcoming.
Goldguy ....... really appreciate your sharing with us ....... some of us get it really, the most fun i've had with a rud/elev set up.
Dec 11, 2006, 04:04 PM
gpw
gpw
Thanks Jer!!! we'll be a waitin'...
Dec 11, 2006, 04:25 PM
Crash Master
I"ll 'git er done' tonight, guys... Got my AA meeting (RC Club), and after that, I'll get back to work.

I really want to build one and try it in the small building we have (110x60x16) and see how it does. Going to try to work it out for 'mainstream' equipment for the club guys.

I just wish I had a sheet or two of the 'junk' BluCor to try. I don't want a bundle, I still have a bundle of the 'good stuff' left. So, I'll try it with naked FF, and see what it's like. I will temper it, of course, but not sure what else it'll need. I'm going for 26" to start. Jer's was a handfull, but I think the larger one will fly better in the smaller area.

He didn't mention, I had 6 phone calls while testing his out... Arrrgh! everyone has an emergency! I was only there less than an hour, and that includes eating Chinese
Dec 11, 2006, 05:13 PM
Gene, Mine's 26" WS, as the others posted. It can fly around the bases of ball field, standing at home plate just fine, Used 3mm cellfoam for the wings/tail and 6mm for the body. It's a cool flyer!
Dec 12, 2006, 06:00 AM
Crash Master
Video is up:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609922
Dec 12, 2006, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
I believe the triangular wing planform originally was done to make it impossible to build a warped wing ???? sticks and tissue stuff ...
I think you're right, but what's with the clipped wingtips? We never did that back in the day.

I'd been thinking of this for a while too, glad to see it works so well.

Good Luck!
Dec 12, 2006, 07:05 AM
gpw
gpw
Beave... Absolute best thing is it can be built with those odd scraps of FFF that we usually throw away...
Nice movie Gene ... looks like a handfull .... Perfect !!!
Next a double delta canardart .... you guys are on the right track ...hahahahahaha
Dec 12, 2006, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavrdamElectric
I think you're right, but what's with the clipped wingtips? We never did that back in the day.

I'd been thinking of this for a while too, glad to see it works so well.

Good Luck!
like goldguy says ...... the pointy things are the first to get destroyed.
( especially when your a hay field flyer)
Dec 12, 2006, 12:47 PM
flyin' fool
The tip shape allows for more wing area for a given span and that broken pointy thingie too. What's the first thing you hit on the door on the way out of your workshop?

I tried 45 degree throws at indoor last night and moved the battery back, now we're talkin'. We were hit with a 'weather bomb' last nigt, the power came on at the school just after we got there and so we had a poor turnout. Thousands here without hydro this AM.

Gene: I took a Dart to our club meeting and flew it at the back of the meeting room, not a hall or a gymn. Did touch and go's off the table at the back and hopped over the coffee machine and donuts, them flew it through the doorway out into the hall and back in again. It's that easy with a LIGHT Smart Dart SX. In high alfa it will turn within a 6 foot circle. It's a rock steady and a very predicable flyer.

One local built a 30 incher, calculating that he needed the wing area because of the weight of his electrics and with 70 watts in, at 4 ounces a square foot and it flys mild to WILD.
Dec 12, 2006, 03:47 PM
22 '' wingspan ready in the hanger ....... 26 '' wingspan now being worked on.
really impressive flyer.
Dec 13, 2006, 06:26 AM
gpw
gpw
I must have missed the plans ?????... snooze you lose !!!
Dec 13, 2006, 07:57 AM
gpw
Gene is waiting til his 26 '' wingspan is done so he can compare it to my smaller version. then decide which one to post .... or possibly both. at any rate, you will not miss them. actually, i built from goldguys posted measurements and reduced the figures by 15 %. he has covered it pretty thoroughly, and its an easy build.

jer
Dec 13, 2006, 01:41 PM
gpw
gpw
Jer, it's just that I've had great luck with your and Gene's designs in the past and wanted to go by the plans ...Atypical , I know , but Figure you guys did all the work ....Can't go wrong there ...
Dec 13, 2006, 07:21 PM
Crash Master
Here's the 26" version.

I am impressed. For an RET plane, it seems top be a good one. Plenty of wind today, but it did well. Big ol' flex in the wings in the 'big air', but should not be an issue indoors, or if the skin is left on the BluCor... I peeled it all, so it'd be about as flimsy as the new crap FF Lowes sells. I also used epoxy (eeek!) for everything, to make sure a heavy (8.5oz) one would do. I imagine I could easily break 7oz, and possibly 6-5.5oz with a small effort.

I'll try to get inside this weekend and test in the 'Barn'.

I have a bunch of construction pictures to clean up and post as well.

Could someone post a link to this post from the first page? Prefferably from the first post

Just (right click) copy shortcut -> www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6549131&postcount=60 <- and paste it...

.... edited to add plans...
v2 is the 23" version (my preference)
Also added the P40 version
Also added the Cub version
Also added the Xtra version
Also added the HottsDart version...
Added msmith's 39" version
Added MidiDart
Added Dart-51
Added Dart Cub 14"
Last edited by Gene Bond; Dec 12, 2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Added 14" Dart-Cub