Dec 08, 2006, 01:44 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Hi Gordon
Yes I work as a Test engineer for a electronics sub contractor. PM me if you require any more info. Thanks for your all your help.
I like your site Pierre, I have have good look over the week end.Did you cover the wing on both sides as Brian Cooper recommended TOP only
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2006, 01:55 PM
flyin' fool
Pierre:

I see you have been to the 'flyelectric' site a few times. I've built the And Now, a 24 and 30" span Nutta, a Bounce and a few 17" span Drenalyns, all great fun flyers. I think that what makes the Dart stand out, is, that it's performance amazes the onlookers and it makes you look like your name should be Quique Somenzini, even though it really is 'Quickie Smashenzini'.

Frank
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 09, 2006 at 03:44 PM.
Dec 09, 2006, 12:29 PM
RPV builder & operator
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Did you cover the wing on both sides as Brian Cooper recommended TOP only
Top only, but both sides of the vertical stab and rudder.
Dec 10, 2006, 06:12 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Hi Pierre
I got to speak to Brian Cooper at the Model Exhibition ,that used to be held in London every year. He and his young son were demonstating the original oily versions! Very impressive low speed flight characteristics, long before modern electric 3D models came on the scene.
He told me a the time that a lot people seem to have touble making sense of the covering instructions. I must admit most the ones I have seen were covered wrong. Wing top and bottom.
Dec 10, 2006, 06:31 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Wouldn't this plane be a good candidate for EPP????
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 10, 2006, 08:49 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Hi gpw

How would you make it stiff enough I just bought a epp kit.Very floppy stuff compared with Blue Cor or Depron
The wings can be edged with carbon as original depron design, but what about the fus and the tail assy
Not as easy as the ufo
Dec 10, 2006, 07:22 PM
Yes, right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Hi gpw

How would you make it stiff enough I just bought a epp kit.Very floppy stuff compared with Blue Cor or Depron
The wings can be edged with carbon as original depron design, but what about the fus and the tail assy
Not as easy as the ufo

Carbon strip along leading and trailing edges with a nice rod or tube in the middle? Same goes for the tail.
No reason carbon reinforcement couldn't work for a fuse, either. CF tape on either side of a piece of foam will make very stiff.
Dec 11, 2006, 06:36 AM
gpw
gpw
Alot of times, stiff enough is more than enough to do the job of flying , but not enough to pass the Gorilla checking the EPP to see if it's stiff enough ...test ...Viz. Airloads are nowhere near as much as you'd think ...
Dec 11, 2006, 06:49 AM
London Ontario Canada
Well, I built an indoor version, 12" wingspan, and made the mistake of tapering the rear of the fuse stick.... After all was done and ready for flight, I turned on the radio, pressed the little button on my Bit Car transmitter, all working, tossed in the air, only to see it loop, a real dandy figure 9, and crunch into the floor.... Yup, twas the slanted fuse stick that did it...
I'm on number 2 now, straight fuse stick... Rudder control only as this is for an indoor small gym.... Bit Car receiver, 7mm motor and gearing of 3 to one, Lipo from Atomic Warehouse in England, 130mAh, 3.7V... Hi discharge.... Lots of time for flying on this baby....
Hey, it's a ball!
Art.
Dec 11, 2006, 09:34 AM
as soon as i saw this thread ..... i thought ..... that's my kind of plane. i have several delta like planes that are great across the board. from slow to very acrobatic. (all are aileron/elevator) one of the things i really enjoy is creepy slow flight, just above ground level, at high alpha. the elevon response really deminishes at very slow speed. so, i thought the rudder/ elevator set up on the dart would really improve that aspect. IT DOES !!! for a rud/elev set up this plane rocks extremely arobatic, good glide and a great slow flyer. i doubt i would have ever considered it in the original form. however, with the simple conversion of overlapping the wing and tail, all of a sudden it looks a lot more like a plane i love it !!!!!! since i chose to use a go/brushless 22 mm motor, i built at 85% of plan (22'' wingspan) auw/rtf including 2s 800 lipo pack is 6.6 oz.everyone needs one of these Gene Bond is coming over today to try it out (he is looking for a good indoor plane for some of his club members) he has already done a pdf on my 85 % version, which i am sure he will be happy to share ... if there is any interest. pics included in next post

jerbear
Dec 11, 2006, 10:22 AM
Hey Looks good Jer. Fun little flyer! Looks like you added more rudder area!!

Paul
Dec 11, 2006, 10:27 AM
gpw
gpw
Why heck Jer , we're always interested !!!!!!!
Dec 11, 2006, 11:23 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Now we,re cooking and goldguy thought nobody was that interested. I'd like to see the plan of your take on the Dart,Jerbear, if GB can induced to post it.
Dec 11, 2006, 11:30 AM
flyin' fool
jerbear:

Neat plane eh? Maybe if we get Gene Bonds indorsement, we'll see more pixs posted of other Darts.

I've been flying R/C for 35 years and at last count have built over 250 models, so, I know a good thing when I see it. I think the key to the Dart's performance is that the delta shaped vert. and horz. stabs prevents the rudder and elevator from being blocked, and it seems impossable to stall a wing tip. And, there's not too many indoor designs that you can fly right up to the wall, hit the elevator and throttle, and stop on a dime. Like Ali said, "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee".

At our indoor, it's frustrating to see guys show up with big or small models that have heavy wing loadings and take their planes home in pieces. How much fun is that? They just get discouraged and quit coming. So, I built a few Darts and handed the box around. Some get it, some don't.

Frank
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 11, 2006 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply