Nov 30, 2006, 06:09 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Gordon and goldguy

I now realise that i have mis read the plan and have modified the wing accordingly!!!

I amstill interested to know your opinion of the wing to fus join strength
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2006, 03:39 AM
Dekan,

The wings are glued on using 1 hour epoxy, this has proved to be more than strong enough and allows time to position the wing correctly.

However, you could always reinforce between the wing and fuse with some carbon tows or glass bandage on the front and rear gussets…This method was done on my 27” SmartDart. I generally water down a bit of wood glue and apply to the carbon tows. Give it a couple of coats of glue and you have a strong but slightly flexible joint, just right for a heavy landing etc.
Dec 01, 2006, 01:13 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Hi Paul

Thanks for the info I am struggling a bit with the carbon tow. I tried super gluing the end of the tow to stop it going all over the place, leaving it long then cutting the glued end off
I think I'll have to find some form of carbon or glassfibre ribbon.
Dec 01, 2006, 03:12 PM
Cool Design!!
Dec 01, 2006, 05:23 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Just re-wound one of my Little Screamers to turn an APC 8X3.8 on 3S at under 6 amps and at 52 watts in on my Dart..........just took off onto the wild blue and well, fasten your seat belts and please expect a bumpy ride..........
Dec 04, 2006, 05:24 PM

Slick little flyer!!

I was taken by this design when i bumped into it here. Thanks for the help goldguy, you're right on, it flies like you described. I only got 10 min on it this AM before work in a snow squall. Not much trim and it flew great. I put one of those hextronik cd typemotors onit with a 2C and 8040. Next time I'll try a 9050 or 9047sf. Inverted no power it glides almost with no input. right side up it needs some up elevator. Have to experiment with it more.

really simple build, mine has a 1 1/4" square box body, 6mm Cellfoam and 3mm for everything else.

5.6oz no battery, pico servos, TB9, and 4ch Berg

Try one you'll like it a lot!!

I'll have to get a vid of it with my hat cam

Paul
Dec 04, 2006, 06:29 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Fun eh? Told you so.

Nice build job, don't put it too close to that wood stove though. I like your fuse idea. The wide wing saddle is probably much stronger.

Just a build point I didn't mention about gluing the wing panel together..........
sand the dihedral angle, flip both panels upside down, tape together, flip back over and open up, apply 12 minute epoxy, then jig on flat surface for proper angle and wipe excess epoxy with alcohol.
Dec 06, 2006, 01:32 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Hi gordon

What sort of tape did you use to "edge" the wings and tail surfaces. How did you attach the motor
Dec 07, 2006, 08:54 AM
I think the tape was bought from Woolworth's as a pack of 4 colours for about a quid (£1 or US$2 hmmm). There was blue, green, purple and something else. One roll just about did the whole plane.
The material is probably just standard 'sellotape' type stock with a coloured layer. It's quite thin and comformable with the edges.

The CD Rom motor is simply bonded with a good quality silicone rubber adhesive. I use a Loctite Temflex 5145 which is an Industrial engineering grade but have also used a cheapo sanitary ware grade, I think originating from Lidels. Both seem fine and never had a moments problem in any of the CD Rom motor designs from flightline@hotmail.co.uk with this method. It also allows easy removal to move the motor to the next design wheras epoxy would not and Cyano is probably too brittle.
Dec 07, 2006, 01:04 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Hi Gordon,
Thank for the info
Do you think you think diamond tape would work as I have never used it with depron?
We have some dow corning rtv 3145 at work. I think I will give that a try. what did you use to glue the tail plane to the balsa fuse, as mine seems very wobbly . I used 5Min devcon
Dec 07, 2006, 02:04 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Sixteen day old and over 1100 hits, and little action.

Now, I know that what's consider a fun to fly model varies, but if you build a Dart, I know you will agree that this is one. It can be flown mild to wild, as a free flight or a 3D machine, and on only rudder and elevator. There aren't many models designs out there that can make that claim.

Guaranteed or double your money refunded.
Dec 08, 2006, 03:50 AM
Hi dekan,
I reckon Diamond tape will be fine. I see it comes in flourescent colours as well. The tape is there to act as secondary security to hold the carbon strip in place....I reckon it's good insurance if you fly like goldguy. otherwise it's just for decoration and protecting unreinforced edges.
My experience is with the bulkhead flange mounted type of CD Rom motor which offers a relatively large surface area to bond to F1. RTV 3145 is listed as a High strength silicone sealant so I would be amazed if this were not entirely suitable. As I say I suspect pretty much any silicone would do.
The tailplane security should absolutely not be an issue. I would have thought fast or slow cure epoxy or PVA white glue would be fine. My current favourate is the new Araldite 90 second cure epoxy. Can't think of the name for now but it's sold in Homebase as a dual syringe pack with orange printed tubes. Seems to offer the strength of epoxy with the convenience of cyano.

By the way I am allergic to Cyano having I believe been sensitised to it through industrial use. Any one else out there had this experience?

On a work level are you involved with microelectronic assembly and do you offer a sub contract facility?

I'm surprised gold guy hasn't put up a video yet. I want to see an inverted roof landing.

On a linked matter search under RoundOne and see the video of Paul of flightline@hotmail.co.uk fame flying in his garden with genuine thrush birdsong accompanyment.
Dec 08, 2006, 10:46 AM
What works good to stiffen leading edges is the cheap bamboo blinds. lifetime supply in one blind. The one I bought was 5 ft. wide and 5 ft. high. Stripped down the pieces are 1/8 in dia and are flexible enough to bend around curved wingtips.I bought mine up here in Canuckland at the Canadian Tire store. Cost about 8 bucks. Hi Frank; Still wearing my hat, just got to figure out how to CA earmuffs to it. Was 7 above 0 F this morning.
Dec 08, 2006, 12:41 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Hey Gordo, how it goin'? Say hi to Rolly and the gang for me. Got a blast of winter out here on the island, (snow here is a novelty) but still flying outdoors. I'm always packing a Dart and got in an hour yesterday doing tail touches off of a pile of snow and other silly fun stuff. Auctually got in some decent rolling circles with it, more throws needed, still exploring the limits of this wing flapping foamy.You just have to build one of these machines, they're an absolute hoot, especially indoor. You could rename it the 'Dome Drone'. (say that six times in six seconds and I'll send you a prize ) There are now six flying locally and more on the way. Will get some pix to post on Monday at indoor, as I don't have a digital camera.

Gordon: Landing on the ceiling? I'm not that good, unless, stuck in the raftes counts. An inverted touch n' go, that's easy with a LIGHT Dart, just a big slooow loop between the metal beams and if you get it right...... With loads of rudder input, those wall landings (??) are a breeze, because this thing prop hangs better than a Shockie.

Dart addicted?.........that's me
Last edited by goldguy; Jan 29, 2007 at 04:46 AM.
Dec 08, 2006, 02:13 PM
RPV builder & operator
Did a big one about 5 years ago from RCM&E plans.
http://www.geocities.com/pfaudette/eplane/supdart.html

Built a PWT last year for indoor use, out of balsa and reynolds wrap. Both fly a very high incidence at a snail speed.

Quick Reply