Jan 03, 2007, 03:06 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Ah, I see now..........

I flew my Dart on Monday at our local 20th annual New Years Day 'grub n' grog'. It was raining and blowing like crazy. So, I wraped the electronics with kitchen wrap and tape, and got a few flights in standing under a shelter. Hey, it worked great. The Dart is an all weather bird and big fun in the wind. About 50 showed up and six of us got to fly on the 1st of 07'. Of course, electric power ruled the day. But, I must admit, I was very impressed by a big 102" span gasser 3D machine, until I realized that the prop on that mother was worth 120 bucks. Wow, that would keep me in foam for the next ten years.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2007, 03:55 PM
Good glue is evil
All
what would be the smallest motor setup that would fly the dart ?
not for high speed , just to slow fly
thanks
brucej
Jan 03, 2007, 04:01 PM
High Altitude Flyer
BruceJ,

It's most fun when you have enough power for close to unlimited vertical; from that viewpoint, the small light brushless motors are likely the way to go. The HexTronic 24 gram motor (11.99) and 10 amp brushless ESC (12.99?) from http://www.unitedhobbies.com is lightweight, inexpensive, and offers the performance that'll leave you flying at far less than full throttle most of the time. (2S LiPoly battery.)

Other lightweight brushless motors (1 oz / 28 grams or less) are also available out there. The GoBrushless kit motors are flying great for some of us, too.

VIKING
Jan 03, 2007, 04:53 PM
Viking,
I would have to paint the wingtips of my Curvy,
a bright pink for visibility and orientation of course.
And a LED on each wingtip for nightflights.

Goldguy,
I flew my Smart Dart at our New Years Day fly also. The wind
was 15 - 20, gusts at 30. It held its own for a bit, then a
rotor hit it, rolled it inverted and took it to the ground. It boinked
the crankshaft in the little blue motor. I'll straighten that tonight.
All else is ready for more fun. It was raining during the flight also.
It was an 'I double dog dare you' flight. I bit.

The disappointing part of the flight was, my buddies emptied the
chile pot while I flew. Nice guys.

Fun plane.

WWII
Jan 03, 2007, 05:03 PM
Viking,
How big of a motor would I need for a 38" Curvy?
Could be a real floater. Just thinking.

WWII
Jan 03, 2007, 08:33 PM
High Altitude Flyer
WrongWay,

100 watts per pound (power loading) lets you hover & do all of the high alpha & irreverent stuff without running out of power... how light can you build a 38 incher, and can you keep the wing from flexing too much? That'll be your challenge! If you want to be able to do consecutive loops & barrel rolls, you want the reserve power!

Flying weight will determine how many watts of power you need, & guide your choice of motor. (Think 3S LiPoly, not 2S on a big one.)

VIKING
Jan 04, 2007, 02:10 AM
I'm in! Glad I found this thread. This looks to be a fun one. Built mine using Gene's 26" pdf as a guide (thanks Gene). Hopefully the Wx cooperates tomorrow for a flight test. Haven't decided on a paint scheme yet - a baseball diamond comes to mind...a bit heavy at 6oz but should be OK.
cheers,
Mike
Jan 04, 2007, 03:39 PM
One thing about the blue hextronic motors. While I have several and really like them, the bell is easily bent whem nosing it in - grass or pavement. This method has always worked to get it back to normal. I find the part where the magnets are touching the stator and use two pliers to bend it back. Its worked five times so far without a problem.
Jan 04, 2007, 06:44 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
One must endevour to fly in a manner in which only the landing gear contacts the ground....

Nice low wing Dart , but might not have the same effect as the staggered deltas...??? We'll get Gene to explain it ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 04, 2007, 10:26 PM
dwc
dwc
Thanks for the plans and video guys. I got to try mine today for a short flight in the cold and wind. Very maneuverable and handles the wind great and really floats down for a landing. Mine is based on Genes 23" plan. I needed a little extra weight to balance so I just quick rigged the landing gear on. Glad I did, it's lots of fun on the ground too, turns on a dime, fun plane.
Dan
Jan 04, 2007, 11:13 PM
i tried mine today in 12mph wind, flew good and i was able to controll it fairly well considering the wind. 26" version weighs 5.7 oz with a 2s tp730.

dwc,

that looks kinda like what i had in mind for one with 4ch, but don't know if i should keep the staggered wing and stab/elevator.

Bob
Jan 05, 2007, 12:31 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
I don't think to stagger or not to stagger would make much difference. It was originally a cosmic, er, I mean a cosmetic thing, as well as a way of adding strength to that part of the fuse.
Jan 05, 2007, 01:12 PM
dwc
dwc
Bob S It flies great without the stagger with no dihedral and with ailerons.
Did the original free flight model have the negative incidence on the stab
to keep it from diving? Great design Goldguy!
Dan
Jan 05, 2007, 10:20 PM
dwc
dwc
Couldn't fly today but I got a little ground action on video.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...02#post6677455
Dan
Jan 06, 2007, 12:26 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Hey guys, check my post in 'Tricks N' Tips' before your next Dart build, for a quick and easy way to attach CF flats to the LE. Well, that's as long as it's not the Curvacious kind.

Quick Reply