Jan 01, 2007, 11:53 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Just found a reason to drink more beer. Cool idea, nice Dart Wrongway. Looks like you got it the Rightway.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2007, 05:48 PM
High Altitude Flyer

Meet "CURVACIOUS"

Friends,

Guess it's time to intruduce you to "CURVACIOUS" - [or "CURVY" for short.] She's a cousin of the Dart family, but with some pleasing curvy lines... and she's really a Sweetheart in the air- always ready for a good time on a moment's notice! (She's always ready to make the most of a cozy flying site, and would be just as happy doing her thing indoors as out!)

CURVACIOUS has an EPP underbody, and a bluecor wing that's 23-1/2" span, and 18" maximum chord. Power is provided by a 23 wrap [Y] GBv motor turning a 9x7 GWS slowflyer prop on a 2S 800 mAH CSRC LiPoly pack; (Other lighter packs were not performing as well in the cold Colorado New Year's Day flying conditions.)

CURVY is quick to respond to requests, quite nimble for a R-E design, yet predictable in close & down low, and while landing. I'm sure she acts very similar to her cousins in this respect.

(With the big 9x7 prop, it's best to carry some power on landings for smooth touchdowns... that's an impressive drag brake hanging on her nose when that prop stops turning!)

More photos are on CURVACIOUS's web page, where more details, specifications, and build sequence details will be added as time allows; plans are partially drawn up, but are not online yet:

http://www.stenulson.net/rcflight/curvy.htm

GoldGuy, Gene, & everyone- thanks once again for your inspirations!

VIKING
Last edited by viking60; Jan 01, 2007 at 05:54 PM.
Jan 01, 2007, 06:09 PM
Look outside the Square
Looks Fantastic Viking60. The curves look great. Its a great little flyer the Dart. and from your description so is its curvy cousin. . I'm having a ball with my Meat Tray Dart, just might have to add some Landing Gear to mine.
Plenty of White stuff over their I see. Only get to see it on TV and Internet over here. Thanks for the pics
Regards Box
Jan 01, 2007, 06:34 PM
WOW, Viking.
Curvy looks fast.
Who would've thought she's related to the
Smart Dart family.
Man, this is fun.
Thanks for showing us your Babe.

WWII
Jan 01, 2007, 07:21 PM
Use whatcha got!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob s
i make my own mounts using nylon bushings from lowe's and just tap for a 4 40 screw.

Bob

Bob - any chance you could take some pictures and show us what you're using and how you're using it?

I'm all about new motor mounting methods.

-mike s.
Jan 01, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hey Viking, great morph of the dart!!! You always amaize me with your "take" onthe FF's presented here, like your Beagle variant. I made one for AP with the 5in1 on the nose.

How much dihedral is on that baby, andwhat does it wiegh? Nice job, looks good!

Paul
Jan 01, 2007, 07:48 PM
Use whatcha got!
WrongwayII - just noticed the wheels... Any chance you want to expound on those as well?

Those are too cool... Baby Moon hubcap sytle, eh?

EDIT**** just had a brain fart... Are those the bottom of the can? just simple tin snips or whatever can be used to cut them out, eh? Too much going on @ once here to 'properly pay attention'... Didn't realize the part of the can you were using... I guess the scale threw me off as well. They look small compared to the wing.
Last edited by msmith; Jan 01, 2007 at 07:56 PM.
Jan 01, 2007, 08:10 PM
jmh
jmh
Pop-up wing held down with a magnet. (hope pictures are attached).jmh
Jan 01, 2007, 08:16 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Curvy is gorgeous!!!

Tony
Jan 01, 2007, 08:31 PM
Crash Master
Great Job, Viking! You kinda stole my thunder on the variant I've been pecking away at... Oh well, It'll be done some time soon...

Glad to know the character held through the morph!
Jan 01, 2007, 08:40 PM
High Altitude Flyer

Why 1mm C.F. rod spars can work so well, & how to install them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Curvy is gorgeous!!!

Tony
Tony & WWII,

thanks for the kind words- it was a fun project! I'll work on cleaning up a final version of the plans & get them up & available before long.

Praymond,

Even though the span is only 23-1/2, I went with high dihedral for fast rudder response, & it paid off well; I blocked the center with a 2-3/4" high piece of Bluecor and ran a bead of hot melt glue in the slit / split to set the dihedral at that amount.

LIGHTWEIGHT EFFECTIVE SPARS- Easy Installation!

The lightweight 1mm C.F. Carbon Fiber rods do a great job as a spar structure; a 1 meter long piece isn't much over a buck, and provided the material for both top & bottom. The Bluecor quickly becomes a type of stressed skin structure when neither the top or bottom surfaces can either stretch or compress.

The installation technique is ultimately simple; make a shallow depression, then 'woodpecker' in a row of closely set pinholes through the surface film into the core foam so that the foam safe CyA can penetrate through the film into the core. Then just glue the 1mm rods in place! (I use a miserly bit of baking soda to kick off / set the foam safe thin CyA, since I can not tolerate breathing the aeromatic amines used in all commercial CyA accellerator products.)

I used a modest amount of carbon fiber tow over the spar joints top & bottom to finish the stiffening; the result is impressively stiff!

[ADDED INFO:] CURVACIOUS's Flying Weight?

Without the landing gear and flying with a 2S 480mAH LiPoly battery, it can be in the air at 6 ounces for indoor flying. (It was lighter before all of the tape work!) With the landing gear installed and with my heavier 2S 800 mAH CSRC Lipoly pack for high performance outdoor flying, it's tipping the scales at 7-7/8 ounces.

VIKING
Last edited by viking60; Jan 01, 2007 at 09:02 PM.
Jan 01, 2007, 08:49 PM
MS
Yup, use tinsnips to remove everything that doesn't
look like a baby moon. You need two of them for each
wheel. Coke can moons are slightly smaller than the
Pepsi ones (at least on the ones that I started with).
I am noticing that the can dimensions vary somewhat.
Anyway, the Coke moons fit inside the Dew ones. Only
a tad of epoxy is needed to secure them together. I
was going to use a bearing tube of brass tubing to fit
over the wire axle, but it seems strong enough to just
punch a hole in each moon before assembling, with
a scriber. Dividers are used to mark the center of the
moon. Runout is decent. Thanks for asking.

WWII
Jan 01, 2007, 08:53 PM
High Altitude Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Great Job, Viking! You kinda stole my thunder on the variant I've been pecking away at... Oh well, It'll be done some time soon...

Glad to know the character held through the morph!
Gene,

Thanks for the kind words & the inspirations!

I didn't know anyone else was working on anything like this; your previously posted plans & photo sequence got a lot of DARTS into the air... I just started the 'morphing' from the basic 'character', as you say, and went from there.

I like EPP for it's resiliency, and since I had plenty on hand anyway, I used it and the thin C.F. rods to good advantage.

I'm suspecting that I built in more down thrust than needed... how much is too much on a flat plate? I'm at roughly 3-1/2 degrees, and I'm now thinking, (after flying CURVACIOUS all afternoon & doing over 50 takeoffs & landings from the narrow snowpacked road in front of my house) that 1-1/2 to 2 degrees of downthrust might be better for high speed flying- and maybe for all around handling.

VIKING
Jan 01, 2007, 09:20 PM
Couple of pictures of the baby moons.

One showing the use of dividers to scribe the center
of the disk on the marking pen ink. More aluminum will
be snipped from the disk to cut out the moon.

Moons on my Smart Dart. The perimeter of the moon
has water on it. It really is round. It was raining when
I took the picture.

Looks like I better check out some bars for other cans to
try. Tough job, but somebody has to do it.

Thanks for listening.

WWII
Jan 01, 2007, 09:30 PM
Crash Master
Cool Moons, WW//

Viking, I'm using a 6-32 nut under the top 2 spokes on the firewall mount... works out to about 3 (1/16" @ 1-1/8"). It seems ok, but I haven't really tried anything different. Are you using any right thrust? I keep meaning to try a little, I think it could use some.

Quick Reply