“There’s no place like Foam”
I'll bet Jurgen remembers ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2007, 06:40 AM
Crash Master
no doubt!
Aug 14, 2007, 06:56 AM
Hello everyone. This thread sure has got something & I want a go. I have read & digested it all but there is so much here that I might well have missed/ forgotten/ misunderstood something.

I have a blue motor, 2x900mah(52gm) cells & Hitec 55(8gm) servos.

I want to use EPP but here I can only get 8 or 10mm. I am guessing 10mm as 9mm is recommended here but this just makes it heavier. I also guess that I still need to reinforce the leading edge. Do you still suggest using bamboo or is carbon (?mm) better with EPP.

With my components will it be too heavy for the standard v2 plan? I like floaty but also to fly in a breeze.

The EPP that I can get appears to be 20gm a litre and comes in 600x900mm (24x36ins) but I am not sure how this compares to the original materials suggested here.
http://www.flyingwings.co.uk/store/i...23979a8aewhich

Please be kind & tell me if I am doing this wrong!

Chris
Aug 14, 2007, 07:08 AM

Smart Dart xxs

Here is more information on the latest version of Paul’s Smart Dart as mentioned by John Stennard, presented as a 10” (250mm) span Micro RC named Smart Dart xxs for indoor flying, or outside flight in sensible conditions. This is the fourth Dart in the range with xxs referring to the extra, extra small size.

The model is powered by a 7 mm diameter pager motor driving a 2.25” prop supplied from a single 130 mAh Lipo cell. Radio is the brilliant Micro Invent Minor receiver driving rudder and elevator actuators and with built in speed control. Flight times are in the 13 - 17 minutes range and the all up weight is only 17 grams. Construction is mostly from 1.5mm depron with colouring applied using thinned acrylic craft paint.

It’s remarkable that this model flies on about 1 to 2 watts of power or something like 1/500 horsepower, which has to be eco friendly. By the way there is an even smaller version that we have flying in free flight mode but more of that another day.

The pictures illustrate the size against a day old Dutch Golden Bantam chick and the action shot shows how controllable the model is even outside doing repeat aerial passes. The small wingding is the result of an unintentional collision with the house television aerial.

Naturally this plan has been added to the Flight Line Plans range and can obtained by e-mailing [email protected]

Other recent plan completions include the latest flying wing Meltdown and aerobatic sportster Image that were both well demonstrated at last year’s Woodsprings E-Meeting.
Aug 14, 2007, 07:14 AM
Crash Master
I'd go 8mm. Should be lighter and strong enough for the forces we deal with.

I wouldn't reinforce the LE, but rather the center.

Carbon's stronger for the weight, but more expensive than bamboo... your call.

2s900 is a little heavy, but should be doable. Try a 9x5 prop on a 1300 or 1500 Blue Wonder.
Aug 14, 2007, 07:17 AM
gpw
gpw
Cute little bird , eh ??? Cute plane too , and teriffic body "English"...
Aug 14, 2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks.

I will put the reinforcing accross the centre of the wing & use 8mm EPP. Will the tail/elevator & fin/rudder be strong enough along the hinges without any reinforcement? I notice the plan doesn't have any hinge line stiffening but there again it isn't EPP.

As I am delving into modern materials here what CF rod diameter do you use for pushrods? Love the look & simplicity of CF pushrods & heatshrink hinges/joiners.

Chris
Aug 14, 2007, 08:24 AM
gpw
gpw
I guess he missed all the "snarking " about CF ...
CE , bamboo skewers/satay sticks are the best , cheapest , and safest ...strong and light too ... Ebonizing with a black Sharpie "looks" just like CF ...
Aug 14, 2007, 09:08 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Thanks for the post Gordon.

ChrisE:

If your using CF, cut it using a triangular shaped file part way through, then clip with sharp sissors. If you really concerned with your health, do all this at the sink while running water over it. Nasty, nasty stuff if you get it into your lungs.

To strengthen EPP I use CF flats. Cut a slit into the foam just ahead of the hindge line, fit the CF into the slot and captivate it with hot melt. You can also use a shallow slit to bury your wires for a nice neat appearance, just don't hot melt them into place.

There's also lots of good info on working with EPP if you poke around on this site.

Have fun: Frank
Last edited by goldguy; Aug 14, 2007 at 09:30 AM.
Aug 14, 2007, 03:20 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith
This is a brief history: http://www.luminet.net/~bkuhl/Histor...nd%20AMA%20Cub

not sure if it's 100% accurate, but it's good reading anyway...
Finding out/ reminding me that the Darts were originally built as stick frame with covering would indicate one advantage of triangular wings, etc.:
much easier to get the angles correct in the construction:
with a triangle, once the length of the sides (sticks) are determined,
all the angles of the corners are determined.
With a rectangle, the same length sides can be put together at all kinds of angles to form various parallelograms.
Aug 15, 2007, 06:53 AM
gpw
gpw
Triangles don't warp ...easy to build a straight wing ...great for the kiddies...
Aug 17, 2007, 10:51 AM

Flat Dart in Motion

Here is my flat Dart with ailerons, elevator, and rudder. It flies beautifully , and does all kind of crazy things . Enjoy the short video

http://people.westminstercollege.edu...381.AVI.ff.mov
Aug 17, 2007, 05:25 PM

Speed Dart ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeed
Here is my flat Dart with ailerons, elevator, and rudder. It flies beautifully , and does all kind of crazy things . Enjoy the short video
http://people.westminstercollege.edu...381.AVI.ff.mov
Been planing on making a "flat" dart with ailerons and reducing the wing area as diagrammed and showing it to you folks as a "SpeedDart." Saeed you beat me to it, looks good.

Brian.
Last edited by brindoro; Aug 17, 2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: too many [/quote]
Aug 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
gpw
gpw
Had 5 darts in the air today for COMBAT , all had to go home and make repairs ... FUN !!!Once we cut all the streamers , it was every Dart for themselves...hahahahahaha serious damage , sorta' ... 2 min hot-glue fix for most ....
Aug 18, 2007, 12:44 PM
John 3:16
Too bad you didn't get anyone to video your combat today. I guess everyone was either too busy flying or too busy laughing!
Daddy-O

Quick Reply