This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 19, 2006, 06:08 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bell/Hiller terrorism, flight across the stars

Was suprised 2 find after flight #2 yesterday that a complete bell/hiller rod assembly was missing. 2 are required for flight, but somehow it ejected
one and still flew. Probably failed because we tracked the blades without pliers. Could have stressed the ball joint.

Instead of waiting 7 days for a new assembly from Indiana, fabricated one out of a 2-56 rod. Not very clean bends but good enough. Recommend avoid beheading by not doing this and only using official parts in your 1700rpm rotor.

Did some 30 sec exposures of Orion with copter, resulting in some of the strangest combinations of red, white, and blue since 1776. Unfortunately to get the sky to look normal on the Canon, had to shift the reds slightly purple.

Got best results from low altitude passes, but doing nose-out passes required hovering behind the camera until shutter opening. Couldn't
hear the shutter because of the copter noise and couldn't see the hard drive LED coming on. Hovering downrange for nose-in passes had its own problems regarding pointing the nose in.
Last edited by Jack Crossfire; Nov 19, 2006 at 06:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2006, 11:36 PM
I broke my kerpellor.
This is a great blog with excellent info and pics. Nice photography, including the crystal-clear close-ups.

I have some friends who probably cringe everytime someone says "Jesus bolt", but it's so appropriate I always chuckle. Uhm, Jesus saves, that's what the bible of helicopters says, but I forget the passage - (hence, imo, the name) - oh, yeah, I'm sure you are also right about the last thing your heli will see if the bolt breaks would be Jesus too.

I'd like to watch you fly if you can do it as skillfully as you take photos!

Quick Reply