Sep 03, 2002, 09:43 PM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP

New Method For Applying Paper To Foam

This new method of strengthening foam uses Aleene's Flexible - Stretchable fabric glue available from WalMart and White Wrapping Paper from the stationary section of WalMart.

The paper stiffens the foam and makes it very strong. The white paper has a nice smooth surface for painting. The Aleene's glue provides a much stronger bond to the foam than the white glue previously used. Here's the method:

APPLYING WHITE WRAPPING PAPER TO FOAM.

White wrapping paper from WalMart provides a strong and smooth surface for foam parts. Only one side of the paper has glue applied to it and the other side is coated with a paint of your choosing.

Uses ALEENES 70-2, Flexible Stretchable Fabric Glue. Available from WalMart in Crafts Section. This glue provides a much superior bond to foam than the white glue previously used. In fact, it can also be heated after drying with an iron to provide an even stronger bond, but I think you will find the regular bond is very strong. The smooth surface of the white paper provides a better looking painted surface in comparison to the rough brown paper.

Another advantage is that the glue doesn't shrink the paper and bend single side covered pieces.

1. Cut out a piece of white paper large enough to extend over the sides of the piece you want covered.
(On a wing, this can be wrapped around the leading edge.)
2. Coat the foam piece with a very light coat of the Aleene's glue. I squirt a little on the foam and spread it around with my finger.
3. Lay the paper on the foam and press firmly together. You can rub the paper to the surface by using a cloth under your fingers.
4. Let dry overnight.
5. Use an exacto knife to cut away the excess paper.
6. It is now ready to be painted.

AREAS to apply paper.
1. Fuselage sides at least to several inches past the rear of the wing.
2. Front 1/3 of wing on both sides.
3. Motor mount areas.
4. Areas around control horn mounts.
5. Any other area subject to abuse or high stresses.

hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Sep 06, 2002 at 02:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2002, 05:54 AM

Re: New Method For Applying Paper To Foam

HOPPY Quote:

"APPLYING WHITE WRAPPING PAPER TO FOAM.

White wrapping paper from WalMart provides a strong and smooth surface for foam parts. Only one side of the foam has glue applied to it and the other side is coated with a paint of your choosing."

got a couple questions, hoppy:

-did you mean to say: one side of the "paper" has glue applied and the other side is painted?

-is this white paper heavier or lighter than brown paper?

i archived your earlier thread dealing with brown paper covering, but this looks more promising. i've got a pink foam fuse nearing completion and have been fretting over what finish to apply. this looks like it might be the ticket.
Sep 04, 2002, 07:07 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Would this work on regular foam (i.e. Zagi)
Sep 04, 2002, 07:21 AM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
Thanks for catching the goof, apply glue to only one side of the paper. (I corrected the original post)

The white paper weighs a little less than the brown paper.

Using only the acrylic latex paint on the outside saves weight.

I'd try it on a test piece of foam first and see how you like it. You could even make up two test pieces, one coated with the brown paper/white glue, and the other with the Aleenes and white wrapping paper. Let us know what you think about the two methods.

The one advantage the brown paper soaked on both sides with glue has is it's ability to cover irregular surfaces. You can kind of form it to any shape. The disadvantages are the glue bond will delaminate sometimes and it's hard to paint over the rough brown finish.

It should work with any foam. Try it on a piece and see how it sticks.

Good luck,

hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Sep 04, 2002 at 07:26 AM.
Sep 04, 2002, 07:28 AM
I use water based polyeurethane to stick the brown paper to the foam - this works fine
Sep 04, 2002, 07:53 AM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
Aleene's provides a much stronger bond to the foam than the water based polyurethane. Try it.............

hoppy
Sep 04, 2002, 09:13 PM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
The front 1/3 (top and bottom) of a semisymetrical foam wing was covered with the Aleene's/white packaging paper. The wing prior to covering weighed 44g. The covering added 9 grams to the weight. Pictures of the painted surface soon.
hoppy
Sep 04, 2002, 10:12 PM
Hey, we can make the weight up by not using a spar, or cutting down the size. I have a wally foam conversion thats not doing anything..
Sep 05, 2002, 09:13 PM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
Here's a picture of the paper covered part of the wing painted with acrylic latex paint.

Another benefit of Aleene's over white glue or poylurethane is shown in the other picture. NOTE....no bending with one side covered!! Doesn't shrink and bend the foam...

Wing is double sided semisymetrical, 20" long with a 6 1/2" chord. Weighed 44g uncovered. With top and bottom 1/3 of wing covered with Aleene/paper and the whole wing painted resulted in a total weight of 60g. (2.1 oz)

hoppy
Sep 05, 2002, 09:40 PM
RPV builder & operator
Hoppy, is this the glue?
Sep 05, 2002, 09:44 PM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
BINGO!! You win the grand prize.....

I"m wondering if applying glue to only the foam will work.....Need to try that sometime. The glue stays sticky for a long time....you'll notice that after letting it cure overnight, the overhanging paper will still be very sticky.

hoppy
Sep 06, 2002, 10:28 AM
I have never had a problem with water based poly shrinking when drying - does it ? I know white glue does - but its just a case of pinning the wing down whilst it cures.

Is this stretchy glue like copydex ?? thats stretchy and will go on foam etc - might be worth also giving that a try

Cheers

Tim
Sep 06, 2002, 11:13 AM
another question, hoppy:

i was wandering wally world this morning and looked at the "wrapping paper" in the stationery dept. what i found was $2.50 and said it was good for "four shirt boxes".

is that what you're talking about -ordinary gift wrap, the stuff that comes in a roll?
Sep 06, 2002, 11:19 AM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
I didn't save the wrapper, but it comes in a roll and was from the stationary section. It is about the same weight/stiffness as brown wrapping paper, only much smoother.
hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Sep 06, 2002 at 11:33 AM.
Sep 06, 2002, 11:31 AM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
Tim,
I'm not familiar with copydex. Aleene's f-s fabric glue is a water white color and its manufactured purpose is to glue sequins/beads/glitter/etc to t-shirts/etc.

I think I've used it as a heat activated film glue before.

Maybe all the water we add to the other glues is what causes the shrinking. Do you dilute the polyurethane??

The biggest advantage I see is the bond between the paper and the foam. You can pull the paper off but it takes a layer of foam with it. The "white glue bonded paper" pulls off much, much easier.
hoppy

Quick Reply