Nov 15, 2006, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Minimag Radio Layout

Got my minimag and im wondering where to put my Hitec HFS-06MT 6ch reciver.

Theres a place that it looks like it would fit directly under the middle of the wing. (Minimag Pilots know where i mean)

But with the connectors in it would be a nightmare to get in and out.

So minimag pilots where do you keep your reciver?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2006, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdeacon
Got my minimag and im wondering where to put my Hitec HFS-06MT 6ch reciver.

Theres a place that it looks like it would fit directly under the middle of the wing. (Minimag Pilots know where i mean)

But with the connectors in it would be a nightmare to get in and out.

So minimag pilots where do you keep your reciver?
I velcro'd my Hitec Micro 05S high on the right side below the wing. That made it easy to plug in the aileron servos when installing the wing. The other photo shows the rest of the components. Motor is a Hacker A20-20L mounted on the stock motor mount.

Eric
www.ke6us.com
Nov 16, 2006, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_N57105
I velcro'd my Hitec Micro 05S high on the right side below the wing. That made it easy to plug in the aileron servos when installing the wing. The other photo shows the rest of the components. Motor is a Hacker A20-20L mounted on the stock motor mount.

Eric
www.ke6us.com
You must have pretty long servo cables to be able to mount the receiver up there, I have to hold the plugs with pliers deep inside to push them into the receiver slots its a real PITA.
Also I have no idea how you get the plane to balance with the battery that far back, I was using an A20-20L mounted out the front and a 3100/2S pack jammed all the way forward to balance. Also the outrunner would rub if mounted inside no matter how much I kept sanding the plastic inside.
Nov 16, 2006, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt35r
You must have pretty long servo cables to be able to mount the receiver up there, I have to hold the plugs with pliers deep inside to push them into the receiver slots its a real PITA.
The HS-55 servos I used come with fairly long leads, but you have to add servo extenders on the ailerons no matter what. That position of the RX requires less lead length than any other position.

I did add an extension on the ESC servo connector to reach up there. No matter WHERE you put the RX, you are going to be using servo extensions on something.

But you are most often going to be connecting and disconnecting ailerons so it makes sense to put the RX where that is the easiest.

Quote:
Also I have no idea how you get the plane to balance with the battery that far back, I was using an A20-20L mounted out the front and a 3100/2S pack jammed all the way forward to balance.
The battery shown was only used for the photo. I actually use a 3s 2100. However, it's forward position is exactly the same as shown in the photo. It balances at the stock CG with the nose slightly heavy.

Quote:
Also the outrunner would rub if mounted inside no matter how much I kept sanding the plastic inside.
I cut a small channel in the bottom left corner to clear the motor wires. I also cut away the 3 ribs that position the stock motor to provide clearance. They don't do anything but get in the way with a brushless.

Here's a couple photos that may or may not help.

Eric
www.ke6us.com
Nov 16, 2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info, you obviously had it well planned when building it.
I have changed motors and servos and batteries a few times to optimise what I have with all my planes but the MiniMag doesn't like to cooperate.
Nov 16, 2006, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
Well my RX is now in position.

Does anyone know if the stock Multiplex X-16 ESX with a BEC of 1amp can power 4 x Nano S Servos?

The manual sais 3 is the limit if i want to use more i need to cut the red wire coming from the esc and add a RX battery but that would mess up the CG and the overall weight
Nov 17, 2006, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Well my RX is now in position.

Does anyone know if the stock Multiplex X-16 ESX with a BEC of 1amp can power 4 x Nano S Servos?

The manual sais 3 is the limit if i want to use more i need to cut the red wire coming from the esc and add a RX battery but that would mess up the CG and the overall weight
I can't say as I never used the stock ESC. But if it won't, look into the Park BEC instead of a separate RX battery. No need to disable the red wire from the stock BEC since the Park just doesn't pass it through.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm

I also used their ServoSensePlus to measure the current draw with 4 HS-55s. Worst case with all 4 servos moving full travel was about 1 amp or slightly less on a 3s lipo. The Park BEC handles it easily.

Eric
www.ke6us.com
Nov 17, 2006, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
My minimag has a slight angle on the motor mount to the right hand side. Its RR so i diddnt fit the motor mount is it suposed to be like that?

The bloke in the shop said its called right thrust and its to make it fly in a straight line because the prop rotation would pull it to the left.

I got him to get out another RR so I could compare it and the angle was the same.

Is what he was saying true?
Nov 17, 2006, 07:06 PM
Quote:
My minimag has a slight angle on the motor mount to the right hand side. Its RR so i diddnt fit the motor mount is it suposed to be like that?

The bloke in the shop said its called right thrust and its to make it fly in a straight line because the prop rotation would pull it to the left.

I got him to get out another RR so I could compare it and the angle was the same.

Is what he was saying true?

He's right. It's molded in that way. It's also common to have some down thrust to keep the plane from climbing under power. Both are usually just a few degrees.

Eric

Quick Reply