Feb 12, 2007, 06:53 PM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
Azeiku, that is no problem. We're in the middle of winter here as well. IF there is going to be something like a glider design competition then it would make sense to set the deadline to the end of this years flying season so people have enough time to design and fly their gliders without pressure.
There is a rapidly increasing number of glider designs in our community . So lot's of people might get into it. Maybe we'll just open a voting thread where people can vote for their favorite design or something like that.
-chara
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2007, 11:48 AM
Drunk Pilot
Sounds good to me. By that time I'll beable to have flown some gliders and see how they compare.

Thanks!
Azeiku
Feb 13, 2007, 09:12 PM

My Depron Glider

Here are some pictures of my newly constructed depron glider.

45" wingspan, 37" length, Rudder/Elevator control, 4.6 oz.AUW
4 cell 180 Mah nicad from stripped down 9v rechargable.
4 ch GWS receiver
GWS Pico servos
Skyshark 3PT wrapped carbonfibre tube (these are tough sticks!!!)
AG-8 profile wing - reused from a previous plane
It's held together with foamsafe CA and heat glue

The weird splice in front of the wing is there because I needed to move the wing further back to make it balance. I then skinned on some rearward fuselage extensions and sanded them smooth. I'll adjust my templates so the next build is cleaner. The battery is glued in and must be charged within the plane. The whole top of the pod is a hatch that's held closed with Velcro. The rounded front piece is a chunk of the foam packaging from a GWS receiver. From my kite building days, I know that the Skyshark tube is virtually indestructible.

It's had only a couple of short flights because of the unrelenting wind. Other than some excessive elevator control, I'm very pleased with it.

GIAS
Feb 14, 2007, 05:42 PM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
GIAS, I am amazed!!! looks really phantastic! and I bet it will glide forever!
two questions:
- what kind of wing/profile is that and how do you get enough stiffnes into the wing at such a high aspect ratio?
- do you have any problems with torsion stiffnes of the CF-boom? My attempts with CF booms resulted in tail feathers that would be a bit too wobbly around the logitudinal axis.

Yours looks to be definitely a design where I'd like to have a set of plans of!!! Any chance you could publish your templates?

cheers
chara
Feb 14, 2007, 09:35 PM

2M sailplane

all out of blue foam and fanfold.. ROG off the snow in 8ft with flaperons down..
powered by a 4s3100 12C pack, 2409-18ss bell motor, 25 amp esc, 10x6 folding prop. draw 18-19amps WOT.. yields 15 minutes of aggressive throttle.

31oz AUW; wingloading 8.3oz.sq,ft ;symetrical airfoil with just a few degrees AOA.. been having a blast with it..
Last edited by Maine_Flyer; Feb 14, 2007 at 09:43 PM.
Feb 14, 2007, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
GIAS, I am amazed!!! looks really phantastic! and I bet it will glide forever!
two questions:
- what kind of wing/profile is that and how do you get enough stiffnes into the wing at such a high aspect ratio?
- do you have any problems with torsion stiffnes of the CF-boom? My attempts with CF booms resulted in tail feathers that would be a bit too wobbly around the logitudinal axis.

Yours looks to be definitely a design where I'd like to have a set of plans of!!! Any chance you could publish your templates?

cheers
chara
I'm impatient for the wind to die down so I can get a better read on the planes performance. My initial tests were very favourable.

The wing profile is actually an AG 11, not an AG8 like I first said. (I rechecked the templates I made from Profili). It was hot wire cut from pink insulating foam and has a 4.5" chord. There is a bamboo dowel embedded in the length of the wing, both top and bottom. There's some fibre tape at the epoxied center joint and it's covered with 2" packing tape. It's plenty stiff for a 4.6 oz plane. I have a mild concern that it may develop some 'twist' issues over time.

As for torsional stiffness of the boom, I have not really stressed the plane yet with heavy discus launching, but I think it'll be fine. These Skyshark 3PT rods are very, very tough and very, very stiff for their weight. I've never seen a broken one in stunt kites where they take a much worse beating than it'll ever see here. Everything glues to the boom, including the wing. At present there is no tendency for the tail parts to twist in relation to the rest of the plane. The cruciform tail will help balance any sideways load top and bottom to minimize twisting tendencies.

As for plans or templates, there really aren't any. I stole the tail parts from the Depron Dynamite thread...no significant mods. The pod was designed by laying the internals on a piece of cardboard. Design the side panels first. Since the rod runs to the front of the pod and through the center, you should start with it. Add the battery at the front bottom where the weight will do the most good, then place the receiver and servos around and behind the battery. Plan your layout to minimize frontal area. Next, trace around all of the parts, then smooth out the lines and you have a pod design. Do the same for the top/bottom. Don't forget to add a double thickness of your depron when you trace the top and bottom. Suggestion: make the pod a lot longer than you think it needs to be. It's easier to cut it down than to extend it if you have CG balance issues like I did. Balance is everything.

GIAS
Feb 14, 2007, 10:56 PM
Hey Maine Flyer,

Nice lines on that one. It's larger than I prefer, but I like the lines..a lot.

GIAS
Feb 14, 2007, 11:06 PM
Here is very old glider. 100" wingspan, blue foam wings, sheet foam 3/8 on fuse with stringers 1/8x1/8. Tail 1/3 foam sheet. 0.09cci diesel. AUW 3Lb. Year was 1995. She flew at 30-40 sec motor run for another 6-8mins.
Feb 15, 2007, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine_Flyer
all out of blue foam and fanfold.. ROG off the snow in 8ft with flaperons down..