Sep 17, 2017, 01:36 AM
If it flies - I want one!
OK, that explains the light weight - at that wing loading it should putter happily around a decent sized gym!
All the best for the maiden, but best hold off on the aerobatics,
PeteM
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2017, 10:29 AM
This one turned out pretty nice.
Last edited by boa2110; Jan 18, 2018 at 03:33 PM.
Sep 17, 2017, 10:45 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Built a few years ago before I had any RC gear
arrowglider (0 min 13 sec)
Sep 22, 2017, 10:42 AM
I lightened to 200g. Shortened wing tips and made them single layer foam. Also shortened the boom to tail length.
Latest blog entry: DLG builds
Sep 22, 2017, 11:44 AM
Boa
Do you do any slope flying?

Have you considered a 3D printer for making better fuselage pods?
Sep 22, 2017, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Boa
Do you do any slope flying?
I did some slope flying. Still looking for a good place up the mountain.

Motor glider for thermal soaring and slope soaring when I don't want to fetch the plane in a cactus patch.

I want to build something like the U-Glider next.
Last edited by boa2110; Sep 22, 2017 at 12:31 PM.
Sep 22, 2017, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Have you considered a 3D printer for making better fuselage pods?
Haven't tried 3D printing. These plastic bottles work pretty good.
Sep 22, 2017, 02:00 PM
Does your plane have down elevator. Can you make a close up of the control horns?
Sep 23, 2017, 02:17 PM
Micro glider. 60" wing using UMX gear. AUW 80g
Last edited by boa2110; May 31, 2018 at 04:20 PM.
Sep 24, 2017, 11:06 AM
We don't need no stinkin' tail
1500mm "micro" glider. Love it.
Sep 25, 2017, 07:57 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Hey boa2110, I really admire your gliders. You are very prolific. Would you share your favorite method of mounting the servos for pull-pull on your CF tube fuselage gliders? I've been building modified OSG fuses. I scored some CF arrow shafts and want to use them but I'm not sure of the best way to position the servos. You have mastered it.
Sep 25, 2017, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
Hey boa2110, I really admire your gliders. You are very prolific. Would you share your favorite method of mounting the servos for pull-pull on your CF tube fuselage gliders? I've been building modified OSG fuses. I scored some CF arrow shafts and want to use them but I'm not sure of the best way to position the servos. You have mastered it.
I haven't been using pull/pull lately. It is difficult to get them squeezed into my thin fuses. Pull/spring or push/pull is what I usually use now.

You might try mounting them in the wing with the servo arms going out top and bottom of wing.

I also used this method:
Last edited by boa2110; Sep 25, 2017 at 07:19 PM.
Sep 25, 2017, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2110
I haven't been using pull/pull lately. It is difficult to get them squeezed into my thin fuses. Pull/spring or push/pull is what I usually use now.
You might try mounting them in the wing with the servo arms going out top and bottom of wing.
I want to try pull-pull so I've been looking at all the photos I can find of your fuselages. You are right about push/pull, it's easiest.

In many of your more recent gliders it looks like the horizontal stab is laying right on top of the boom. How does the elevator move down? Is it split?
Sep 25, 2017, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
In many of your more recent gliders it looks like the horizontal stab is laying right on top of the boom. How does the elevator move down? Is it split?
Not split but on a riser.
Oct 04, 2017, 12:16 PM
Okay boa2110, you've inspired me. I've built several OSG. All flew well with KFm wings and will thermal if you get lucky to get into one. I scored a pile of carbon fiber arrow shafts at an archery shop. I asked if they had any discarded arrows and they gave me a fat handful. Time to make a Boa inspired (not a copy) design using some new (to me) build techniques.

Here's the result. It has a 60" true airfoil wing, CF arrow boom tail, woven tape control hinges, and a laminated foam fuselage. Paper removed from the DTFB except on some of the wing. There's a 3/16" spruce spar in the center section of the wing. I used mostly Gorilla Glue and very little hot glue to save weight. 272 grams.

Name: Arrow shaft glider.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 209.8 KB
Description:

I gave it a few no motor test flight tosses across the backyard. Holy Mackerel! Flattest glide I've ever seen. From a head high toss it flew 150 feet and I had to turn to keep it out of the trees. I'll have a maiden flight report after I put on a propeller and get it out in the open.

Jon
Last edited by TooJung2Die; Oct 04, 2017 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply