Nov 09, 2006, 03:37 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Extremeflight Extra vs Multiplex Acro Master

Hi all

I have both plane available locally for about same price locally. Both are design by renown pilot. One is US and one is European.

WS wise, the Extra is bigger and MPX is slightly heavier by 2-3 oz but the wing area is huge over 500sq in and have overall lower loading at 10oz while Extra at 11.5oz.

One is balsa and one is elapor.

For those who never experienced the MPX Elapor injection molding, you may want to check them out.

The Acro Master is more patternish in look and given the comment, it seems to fly very very well with big follower just like EF Extra. I like the fact that it is epp but not the usual lack foam looking toyish appearance and can take lot more abuse than anything else. Both have about same power requirement ie 350watt range.

So those who have flown both, give me your thought. I'm not in extreme 3d but I certainly like the aggresive moves that both plane capable of. Also

Also what power system you use? Original factory setup ie Torque 18/20 for Extra or Himax 3516-1130 for the Acro Master.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2006, 04:15 AM
Hi Magna,

I have flown both very extensivly, hundreds of flights on either, so ill put my opinion across.

IMO, both planes are amazing, but both have their pros and cons.

Both panes fly smooth pattern flight with simular precision. Only the acro master does it SLIGHTLY slower.

In the 3D aspect, the Extra will 3D like a much larger plane, where as the acromaster flies more "funfly" with its fatter wing, but never the less good.

Acromaster knife edges better, Extra harriers, blenders and KE spins better.

So both, IMO, fly brilliant, but the extra has a very small edge over the AM.

However, if you are like me, and you fly planes to their absolute limets, the AM is better, why? its so durable! ive hit the ground time and time and time again, my record being 7 crashes and 2 props in a flight, you just laugh, pick it up, fly again, its really that good.

So summing up, if you want that small edge on the flight performance, get the Extra. If you want a plane that you dont care so much that it will break, so you can advance your flying abilities maybe faster, get the acro master.

Both planes were used witht he Torque 2814/900, Airboss 35, Flightpower 3s1p 1800 (though the 2150 would be better) and APC 13x6.5 E prop.

hope this helps
Ian
Nov 09, 2006, 05:30 AM
I didn't realize the AM was that durable. I was considering the big Formosa for "high risk" flying, as you said, to advance my skills faster but this one sounds much better. I'll have to revisit that thread. Thanks for that comparison Ian. You just sold an airplane.
Nov 09, 2006, 04:04 PM
It uses the epalor foam, or however i spell it, its like EPP with no "grain", and stiffer, but still crashable
Nov 09, 2006, 08:48 PM
Thread OP
Ian, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I thought similarl line too. I want to get into more aggresive acro at low height but after losing a 2-3 big glow plane and recently my Showtime on gasser, I start to feel a tad depress because I remember when I used to fly the small electric, they are so light on loading and AUW, the damage is very minimal.

These 2 planes are available now locally for almost same price but the MPX elapor have the advantage of being durable. I know as I have flown the EZ* countless time to the ground or the tent when we are doing low pass through the pit camp.... hahahhaahha

BTW, how is the wing holding up on the AM because eventually those elapor will give way on the pressure/friction mount? This will affect the precision of the move....

YOU are using the original EF Extra power system on the AM, how is the power/weight ratio like? The AM seems to be very light as well ie 35oz or 1000g. The Extra should be 2-3 oz lighter. Can you feel the differences?
Nov 10, 2006, 03:09 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
The AM should come it at 32oz if you use 2100's, and 35oz if you use 3200's.

Mike.
Nov 11, 2006, 04:03 PM
The original EF extra powersystem id say is a LITTLE down on the AM as on the Extra. i think this is the high drag, remember, double the drag, quadrople the power!

the wing fixing is more than up to the job, even after 3 months of flying it. i admit it is starting to get a bit loose, but i really do fly the acroM to its extremes, and normal flying loads and 3D loads wont effect it so much. i crash it a lot and do full power blenders and other high G and fast rotating maneuvers, which put a lot of centrifugal force on the wings, and try to pull the wings apart, but even after this, i just have to push it back in every 2-3 flights, hardly worth worrying about.

ill try uploading soem video of both of them flying tonight.

Ian
Nov 12, 2006, 07:36 AM
videos!

AcroMaster
AcroMaster (5 min 51 sec)

EF Extra
Extreme Flight RC Extra 300 New Vid (4 min 42 sec)
Nov 12, 2006, 08:11 AM
Awesome flying Ian

Mike
Nov 12, 2006, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_engine
And nice choice of music. Lined up to watch Muse on Saturday !
Nov 12, 2006, 08:05 PM
Thread OP
Ian, the way you flown the AM, does not seems a little on power at all...awesome!
Aug 26, 2007, 02:47 PM
Can I call you Ian the wild ??

By the way , How do you perform knife edge spins ??? I randomly enter them but loose control in one or two turns.

Juan.
Jun 05, 2008, 09:50 AM
Chuck it and see!
Very nice,

I think I made the right choice with my latest purchase.
Jun 22, 2008, 10:43 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
I've flown the Acro Master with a Power 10 equivelent on 3s 2200 up to a Mega 22/30/4 on 3s2P 4400 using a 12x8 prop and this thing fly's light or heavy if you want to call it that. I know guys are flying it with Power 15 or equal just to have the extra umph keeping in mind, just because you have all that power doesn't mean you have to use it, but its there if you want it. I really like this plane and with the room in the canopy area putting 2 2200's is a great advantage because you can put them on opposite sides of the canopy to help fine tune the balance. If you look on the back of the cockpit area, there is a little cavity, not sure what its for, but my 2200 fits nice and snug, plus the canopy presses down on it, and the other 2200 is used to move the CG around in the nose area. This works out really well since putting a single 3300 or similar seems to be a little tougher to do in my case. Great flyer in my opinion, but then again, I've always had a love for Multiplex planes.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry
The AM should come it at 32oz if you use 2100's, and 35oz if you use 3200's.

Mike.
Jun 22, 2008, 10:46 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
As far as the wings go, you can just drill out a small hole in the canopy area where the wings meet and pretty a little platic rod or something through to hold them in if and when they get loose.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_engine
The original EF extra powersystem id say is a LITTLE down on the AM as on the Extra. i think this is the high drag, remember, double the drag, quadrople the power!

the wing fixing is more than up to the job, even after 3 months of flying it. i admit it is starting to get a bit loose, but i really do fly the acroM to its extremes, and normal flying loads and 3D loads wont effect it so much. i crash it a lot and do full power blenders and other high G and fast rotating maneuvers, which put a lot of centrifugal force on the wings, and try to pull the wings apart, but even after this, i just have to push it back in every 2-3 flights, hardly worth worrying about.

ill try uploading soem video of both of them flying tonight.

Ian

Quick Reply