Aug 31, 2002, 07:34 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Thread OP

Labor Day Weekend 2002 Carnage Reports

well i don't have anything to report but i thought i'd get it started
cause it will be a long 3 day weekend and i'm sure the zero will end up in here sooner or later

but just a debrief of this morning sat 8-31-02

got to the aerodrome (school yard) about 7:15am
1st plane up.....the zero - wind was about 5 mph total for this flight but gusty too....the zero got tossed around a little but i had a good 9 minute flight and landed well..no damages

then in succession were the slowstick, tiger moth, and finallt my stick FD
all no damages but by the time i was into the slowstick the wind picked up dramatically...local airport is reporting 10 to 12 mph ar 8:30 am

1 flight each plane...no damages...stong winds too....probabaly why all flights were uneventfull...i wasn't getting crazy with manuevering ,...figured i was crazy enough just being out there at all.

will post again as the weekend progresses (hopefully i won't have to post again other than to say no carnage again today...lol)

<<S>> all
Belgy
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2002, 09:45 AM
Lack of Carnage report for Labor Day:
8:30 am EST Arlington Aerodome (ballpark) - two flights with my DuskStik, boy was it getting blown around. It was all I could do to do figure 8's. Tried a few loops and even managed a short inverted flight into the wind, then a wind gust rolled it over. What a hoot!

8:50 am - attempted a TM flight, did a vertical rise immediately after ROG to about 30 ft high in less than 10 ft. Really cool, but upon turning the little yellow lady was having all it could handle with its stock power plant and qualcomms so brought her down after 10 mins.

Amazing! no carnage!

Now waiting for the evening and hoping the wind will die down.
Aug 31, 2002, 10:04 PM
No real carnage, But I did manage to fold up a gws 8x4.7 prop on my wattage sukhoi not enough speed a switch to 8x6 solved the problem and I got one nice flight in right at dusk. Also got the maiden flight in on my Mega powered Tangent tonight and I have to give it two thumbs up . See my thread Tangent ROCKS on mega 16/15/5 in the sport plane forum for specs on the plane.
Aug 31, 2002, 10:22 PM
Hey, I wanna fly too!
I just wish I had the CHANCE to crash a plane! The only thing I'll be trashing this weekend is the bathroom. Out with the sink, toilet and tile. Next is the drywall, and tub. Just to turn around and put it all back (new). Isn't funny how HER ideas become your projects, hmmm I don't remember her building any of my planes

Ya'll have fun for me too

Terry
Aug 31, 2002, 10:35 PM
the journey is the reward

"Treed" GWS PICO fuse.

Hey Guys,

Windy today but that did not stop me from getting out to fly a GWS PICO with an EPS 300. Heavily modified with Carbon fibre rod to take the speed, I figured she would be fast, but man...not as fast as she was.

Anyway, as I was flying around, faster than I have ever flown in the past, I got gusted flying to close to a large tree. The prop caught a leafy branch and she ended up hanging by the prop. I found a long stick and was able to fish her out. Only damage was a broken prop.

First time for every thing I guess , just lucky I was able to get at the plane and there was no damage.

Keep em flying!

HH
Aug 31, 2002, 10:40 PM
Tee Sqaured
I tried to fight a tree and lost...........
Aug 31, 2002, 10:40 PM
Tee Sqaured
other wing, hope to get it flying tommorow
Aug 31, 2002, 11:58 PM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
No carnage to report of, but I did have two good pico cub flights today. This will be the last flights for now, I'm getting ambitious and I'm going to start a rebuild of the pico cub on Sunday (today....groan.....it's late...) I'm going to attempt to repaint the airframe, polycrylic, then enamel du-bro control rods, re-do the landing gear, change some electronics .... wait a minute.... I was the one idiot who shouted from the rooftops how much I like the plain, simple, slow, no work involved GWS kits. I hope to post photos when I'm done....only if it looks respectable, that is....

Now I understand.... E-zone made me do it.....
Aug 31, 2002, 11:58 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Quote:
Originally posted by tphillips
Isn't funny how HER ideas become your projects, hmmm I don't remember her building any of my planes

Terry

I feel your pain. We did the same thing, only we did the walls, floor and plumbing also, all at the same time. And we only have 1 bathroom.
The worst 2 days of my life.

Anyway, no carnage for me yet this weekend. Haven't had the chance to fly with soo much wind.
Good luck everyone.

Jason
Sep 01, 2002, 01:19 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
I've logged flights on the Double Trouble, Tiny, Rake and Mini IFO so far with no hits, but one near miss! I was flying the Mini at dusk doing these silly vertical spins (cool looking!) when I lost orientation with it only 7' above the ground. Next thing I knew, I was jumping out of the way because it was heading straight for my head!!! I just barely dodged it and it was heading straight for the swingset. As I was pivoting around to see where the heck it was, I cut the throttle and hit right knowing it was about to do a header into the swings (a rather solid and unforgiving wood set). Thanks to my incredible skills (read: absolute dumb luck) it made a turn and landed before hitting anything. Went over and tossed it right back up again!
Sep 01, 2002, 08:08 AM
3 mph winds, Something HAS to crash today... I'll be flying Allll day long,I'll post tonite!
Sep 01, 2002, 08:45 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Thread OP

sunday 9-1-02

2-1/2 hours before the wind was too strong.....some minor rog damages to the zero...lost a wheel holder...pull the gear off

3rd flight ...hand launch...trying out new batteries 9.6 volt nimh's......not enough power.... tore the trailing edge wing mount out out of the wing.....ho hum.....but that's all...not even worth a photo really

rest of the morning was uneventful 6 flights on slowstick
5 flights on tiggy...6 flights on stick fd all batteries now drained

wind was coming up so i didn't bother trying to recharge anything in the field

Belgy
Sep 01, 2002, 09:07 AM
I was taking my Picostick off from the driveway, gave it full throttle, Looked and saw my antenna was down, no big deal this thing flise so slowly anyways. So I pulled it out, I heard a "poink" Sound, looked up, my plane hit the Telephone wires...Lol No bad damage, I Didnt even let it touch the ground, just kept flying Thank you GWS! Just a dent in the wing, pushed it out, good as new!
Sep 01, 2002, 11:40 AM
Tee Sqaured
well, were very luky, the wings fixed, with out a problem. it looks a bit ugly since we are useing red zagi tape insted of the flim they use, but it works,

Thomas

P.S. this is also our very first balsa frame fix, we have never fixed a balsa plane befor, for our very fist time, im very pleased with it
Sep 01, 2002, 11:43 AM
Feriras? Nice looking plane? Is it 3 channels?

Quick Reply