Nov 06, 2006, 07:42 PM
Professor of Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne
Thanks Jeff,

I guess they don't use the on-chip memory of the PIC if they don't need to be UV erased.

I found and downloaded the programming S/W.

Andy.

The code resides in EEPROM. Electronically Erasable .......

Dan
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2006, 10:20 PM
Ha! You guys can tell Im in the delivery business, I thought I remembered it as the RMA string!! RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization, its a number you need to return stuff to the shipper!
I stopped doing APRS years ago and forgot all the GPS strings.
Nov 07, 2006, 04:10 PM
Registered Loon
this is a little off topic but makes for good readin, sorry if its a repost, ive never seen it posted before

http://jeklink.net/projects/GPS_Equi...Sailplane.html
Nov 08, 2006, 04:57 AM
Oxford Panic
Thread OP
I've just been tinkering with Jeff's code and for the BS2PX version of the processor it will be necessary to change the name of the variable "Direction" as with the BS2PX it appears to be reserved word and it fails the syntax test, I changed it to "turndir" and it passes the syntax test now. I'm not sure how much more it's possible to do until the actual Basic stamp arrives.

Andy.
Nov 08, 2006, 11:12 AM
Long Range FPV !!!
Thanks Andy. That will be one less bug that drives me crazy My BS2PX and BOB-4 should be here tomorrow, thats when the fun begins.

How long did it take you to do that program LVSpark ? I figure multiply that by about 5 and I will have something that works

JettPilot
Nov 08, 2006, 11:57 AM
Oxford Panic
Thread OP
JP

The BS2PX version has a comparator the others don't have and the Direction key word is deserved for that.

I should get my BOB4 soon also. I guess a text display is the first priority but there appears to be scope for graphics which would be much more friendly but I can't yet see how to even start this.

Andy.
Nov 08, 2006, 12:09 PM
It took me about 2-3 weeks off and on during the evenings to get it right (30-40 hrs?). Your a sharp guy, and there is lots of good thinkers on this thread to help out.. Should only take you a few hrs...

Andy,
Looks like this will run code without having a BS. Don't know what all is included in the demo version http://www.labcenter.co.uk/index.htm...stampworks.htm

Another simulator for testing that rudder control
http://www.eyewyre.com/
Nov 08, 2006, 12:10 PM
Stupid gravity!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
Thanks Andy. That will be one less bug that drives me crazy My BS2PX and BOB-4 should be here tomorrow, thats when the fun begins.

How long did it take you to do that program LVSpark ? I figure multiply that by about 5 and I will have something that works

JettPilot

Mine are also on the way. I figure with my uncanny ability to accidentally fry anything electronic, I should be up and running by 2012. Of course, I anticipate having to spend more than I budgeted!
Nov 08, 2006, 12:17 PM
Oxford Panic
Thread OP
docphi,

One thing to be careful about not frying is the reset line on the BS2PX what ever you do, don't connect it to 5V, apparently this screws everything up.

Andy
Nov 08, 2006, 12:52 PM
Oxford Panic
Thread OP
As well as displaying the GPS data I have an idea to down-link some other useful data like battery condition and RC signal strength, can anyone think of any others that would be useful.

I'm not trying to turn this into a UAV thread but I do think for safety and reliability the more data the better.

Andy.
Nov 08, 2006, 02:23 PM
Quote:
As well as displaying the GPS data I have an idea to down-link some other useful data like battery condition and RC signal strength, can anyone think of any others that would be useful.

I'm not trying to turn this into a UAV thread but I do think for safety and reliability the more data the better.

Andy.
RC signal strength IMO is a MUST! a Video downlink signal strength would be nice too.battery "fuel guage",for downlink and main battery.

Walter
Nov 08, 2006, 02:29 PM
Oxford Panic
Thread OP
Down-link signal strength would have to be introduced into the display on the ground which would need another BOB4 board. As for the battery display, a fuelgauge would be good but a simple voltage reading will tell quite a lot about the battery. Take it from me a battery fuel gauge ain't simple to get accurate, I used to work in that area.

Andy.
Nov 08, 2006, 02:48 PM
Pull out early!
Quote:
Take it from me a battery fuel gauge ain't simple to get accurate, I used to work in that area.

Andy.

Yes. I've been using flight pack voltage on my OSD and you learn the "behavior" of each pack (some softer than others) by paying attention to what the voltage does under load. Lipos respond in a very linear fashion right up to the end - when you see more "sag" than your normal flight usually gives, you land. Very handy.

My problem with RC signal strength - How do you get the RSSI value out of a standard rcvr? I believe the Inspire (www.dpcav.net) includes RSSI, but I am lacking on how to get it to the board from the rcvr....

Dave
Nov 08, 2006, 03:19 PM
Oxford Panic
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBombDave
...My problem with RC signal strength - How do you get the RSSI value out of a standard rcvr? I believe the Inspire (www.dpcav.net) includes RSSI, but I am lacking on how to get it to the board from the rcvr....Dave
I don't think there will be a really good RSSI signal available in an RC receiver as I believe most FM RC receivers lack any kind of AGC. I have had success in the past when tuning AM receivers, to find a conveniently located connection which was obviously used by the factory to peak it up. I will investigate.

Andy.
Nov 09, 2006, 06:25 AM
Oxford Panic
Thread OP
Any receiver that uses a TA7761 or equivalent demod IC will give a RSSI output. Pin 7 has this signal but it's only a few mV and it's inverted. One word of caution though, this signal is used by the decoder in a Futaba 138DF/DP receiver so it may be a good idea to buffer and decouple it before connecting it to a downlink.

Other receivers that use the MC337x range of ICs may be able to give an RSSI output but extra circuitry may be needed.

Andy.

Quick Reply